Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:34 PM   #1

I have been looking at getting my first digital camera. My interests are between a Canon g2 or g3 and a Kodak z612. I would like to spend$150- $200.Will the older Canons still be reliable? Also, how much difference is there between the g2 and g3. I am leaning towards the Canons but could be persuaded if the Kodak is a better deal. My main interest is awell built, reliablecamera and one that has good picture quality.Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks, Mike.
mikeallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:27 PM   #2

mike-

The Kodak Z612 is probably the best of the three. It has received good reviewsand has better features. The reliability of the 4 year old Canon G2's and G-3's could very well be suspect.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:55 PM   #3

I have had a Z612 since Christmas and am well pleased. Below are a couple of test shots

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"This link has a couple of Z612 test close-up:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ight=sculpture

Dell Computers currently has the Z612 listed for $200. Other sources have them between $220 and $250. The link below is to the Kodak refurb site which earlier this week had on for $180 but they only last a day at that site. Check frequently.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US
Attached Images

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:58 PM   #4

Couple of weeks later.
Attached Images

Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:06 PM   #5

As far as picture quality, the Kodak can't touch the Canon G2 or G3. The G2 and G3 feature relatively low-noise sensors with sharp, bright lenses.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy a G2 or G3 today--they are just very slow by today's standards. I used to shoot with a G2, and the combination of slow speed and unreliable AF used to frustrate me quite often.

thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:09 PM   #6

I appreciate all the advice everyone has given me so far. Having said that the Kodak z612 picture quality isnt as good as a g2 or g3 what would you suggest? I may possibly consider a Canon s3is but I really dont want to spend $350 yet. Is this camera worth that much more than a Kodak z612. Any advice on other camerasis also appreciated . Thanks for the help, Mike.
mikeallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:36 PM   #7

I question the statement that Kodak picture quality is sub par. That is just one person's opinion and it is quite contrary to mine. I have a Pentax DSLR, a Panny P & S, a Canon SLR, a Nikon rangefinder, and a Kodak P850.

Under the right conditions, the quality of the Kodak shots is practically indistinguishable from the others; of course the Kodak UZ is no where near as versatile/fast as a DSLR, and it suffers somewhat in low light situations, but it has a good lens, the factory made mostly correct decisions designing the processing engine (plus there's the RAW option), and in adequate light it takes darn good photos, with really nice color rendition.

caliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:29 PM   #8

Caliban is very correct in his statements. It is when the light level fall dramatically that problems begin to crop up. To address that "blind spot," Kodak has recently introduced the Z-885 model specially designed to handle low light levels and high ISO settings.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:08 AM   #9

With all due respect, have you shot with a G2 or a G3? The image quality from the 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor, combined with a sharp f/2-2.5/3.0 lens and RAW capability allowed for very good pictures.

I have not shot with a Z612, but I used to have a Z740, and I suspect that cramming on more pixels on the Z612's sensor did not improve on the IQ of the Z740. The Z612 does not have RAW, crams 6 MP on the smaller 1/2.5" sensor, and has a much more extended zoom range and thus a more compromised lens. In addition, I noticed that with my Z740 (and apparently many Kodaks), the internal settings set contrast too high and the pictures are too highly compressed.

Ultrazooms are convenient, but there are compromises with image quality. That's why the S3 IS isn't going to get you better image quality than the G2 or G3, either.

Mike, just because the G2 or G3 has much better IQ than the Z612 doesn't mean that that the Z612 is trash; ultimately, you should look at sample pictures (in Steve's reviews he takes comparable pictures with different cameras, so you can get an idea).

thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:22 PM   #10

On the other hand the G2/G3 are going to take what seems like ages to be ready to shoot when you turn them on and will be relatively slow between shots compared to the Z612. I'm basing this on Steve's G5 review.

By all means download the Steve's full resolution test photos and compare them.