Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1

I've been wanting a digital camera and I just recieved a Panasonic DMC-LS70 as a B-day present. I have not opened it as I think I'll be returning it and pitching in a little of my own money and getting something decent unless of course this camera ends up fitting the bill although my guess is I'll be returning it. I'll be doing a quick crash course, reading reviews and such. I think this camera cost around 149.00 and I can afford to pitch in another 100-150 and I wonder if anyone can suggest a good camera for me. I'll basically be using it to take pictures of my dog and family/friends but also would like to take some nature shots and actually really enjoy photography so would like to make a good decision. I'm stuck with Best Buy as thats where this was purchased. I know this is all rather vague and I'll do some footwork, but any suggestions, ideas oor favorite cameras on the cheap would be greatly appreciated the clock is ticking as this camera has a 14 day return policy attached to it. Thank you in advance for your time and wisdom. Sincerely, Vektor
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:41 AM   #2

You should be able to exchange the birthday gift for the higly rated Canon A-710 IS or something similiar.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:15 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. I've actually been looking at the A710IS. I returned my other Camera and got the money so that I can find a deal online. I'm not sure what the official category is I'm thinking about but I'm thinking about getting a substantial
one, something I might be able to change a lense maybe an optical viewfinder, but non SLR. Something lie maybe the S3 or the Kodak P880, while the P880 is out of my price range something in that type of camera, I'm unclear how to refer to that type is that a "Non-SLR" ? I dunno. Perhaps a G7 or a A570. I know I'm all over the place but I want something nice that'll take great pictures, both candid's of friends and family, stills and action shot's of my 8 month old Black Lab. I loved photography class in school and really liked the feel of an SLR and am not afraid to read up on how to use complicated equipment. Thanks again and any thoughts very much appreciated.
~ Vektor
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:49 AM   #4

The Canon is a very good buy for the price, but you may want to look at also the Panasonic FZ-7, which is also rated very highly, but has a 12x image stabilized zoom instead of a 6x, very nice Leica glass, and I found tonight online for $290 as opposed to $255 for the Canon... my personal opinion is the more range of zoom, the better...especially if the lens quality is good... (I own Olympus, so have no dog in this hunt, but I try to keep up with what is around and available...)
HornOUBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:02 AM   #5

THank you for the tips , I'm beginning to focus on the Sony DCS-H5 But I'm not totally sure. I'd really like to just make a decision and be done with it so I can relax ...I'm sure whatever I get will work just fine. I like the idea of the TZ3 but I guess it's not so hot based on some reviews. My sister warned me away from Sony complaing that their customer service was terrible. I wonder if thats true or not. Thanks again and please , any tips or info very much appreciated. ~ Vektor
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:19 AM   #6

You are correct, you will probably like anything you buy,and will probably also get the bug, and want to get a new camera every year or two as bigger and better models come out. I also recommend checking out reviews from a MINIMUM of 3 sites, and try to stick with a model that get a majority of good reviews from the sites... I have an Olympus E-300, love it, but am considering the E-510 because of the image stabilization...but will wait till reviews are out, and may just spend the money on more lens's instead...
HornOUBet is offline   Reply With Quote