Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:08 AM   #1

i would welcome some ideas, i have approx £500 to spend on a camera/ camera and lens for macros of flowers, currently i own and use a canon s3is, of which i really do like, however i love doing macro photos of flowers, within the upper price bracket and wonder, is there anything, p+s, or dslr , better than my results with this camera, can anyone advise of a better system than this, i have looked at the olympus e500 twin lens kit for £439, because i have read a recent report, that olympus has the best dust removing system, of which dust problems is a concern for me, also the canon 400, available for £400 for the next 4-5 days, in the u.k., any recommendations appreciated, or is the s3is as good as it gets???????, without spending a fortune.

thanks in advance, alan
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:29 PM   #2

Forgive me for asking, but what don't you like about the S3 macro? I thought that model had a super macro mode, which could focus down to 0 cm? Can't get much closer than that without getting inside the lens - then you might have some dust issues!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 1:22 AM   #3

to the hun,

i have nothing against the s3 macro, my question is, is there anything, that would give me better results, if there is not, i will happily keep the s3, as i am happy with my photos with this camera, the reason for my question is, i have money left from not buying a dslr, (bought the s3), and it is burning a hole in my pocket and also because most of my summer will be spent photographing flowers

thanks for your response, alan
Old Apr 8, 2007, 1:44 AM   #4

Check out the panasonic point and shoot forum on this site ... there are some fantastic macro shots and you can judge for yourself !!!

Cheers

Pants
PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 5:19 AM   #5

I have seen some marvelous close up work done with compact and prosumer cameras. It takes a lot of experimentation and patience to get these results due to the limitations of the equipment. If you are really serious then a DSLR plus macro lens is the way to go.

While I wouldn't normally recommend this camera, the Canon EOS 400D is currently £399 at TESCO online plus the £50 cashback makes £350. Get a macro lens second hand off ebay and it won't cost you much more than £500.

Another choice is the Pentax K100D which can be had for £329 body only and has the advantages of lower noise and image stabilisation (useful if hand holding the macro lens) and a decent viewfinder.

Used macro lenses can be had from ebay for £150 - £180 and you will be able to sell them again for the same amount.

New 90-105mm range macro lenses will cost around £270

Another choice is the Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro lens which I have seen for under £100. It sounds cheap and construction isn't the best but the optical performance is good.

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/...fm?test_id=332

p.s. you have two good photographic equipment dealers very close to you who should be able to give you good advice:

Mathers of Lancashire in Bolton town centre

http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/

And Fotosense just North of the centre

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 6:53 AM   #6

many thanks for your help and advice, pants and ikki, p.s. i do know of these 2 shops, however i have bought my last 2 cameras, from ukdigital in clitheroe, and i must say i felt they dealt with me in a very helpful and profesional manner, and will probably return to them for guidance next week when i am off work

alan
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:34 AM   #7

fuji s7000 will focus to 1/4 cm

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:25 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:13 AM   #8

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
i would welcome some ideas, i have approx £500 to spend on a camera/ camera and lens for macros of flowers, currently i own and use a canon s3is, of which i really do like, however i love doing macro photos of flowers, within the upper price bracket and wonder, is there anything, p+s, or dslr , better than my results with this camera, can anyone advise of a better system than this, i have looked at the olympus e500 twin lens kit for £439, because i have read a recent report, that olympus has the best dust removing system, of which dust problems is a concern for me, also the canon 400, available for £400 for the next 4-5 days, in the u.k., any recommendations appreciated, or is the s3is as good as it gets???????, without spending a fortune.

thanks in advance, alan

I own the the Oly E500 and the two lens kit and love it. That setup does NOT do micro without adding a micro lens or the extention tube. To be honest, minimum focal distance is a bit long. The 35mm macro is a decent lens from everything I hear, and its fairly inexpensive. That would get you into macro DSLR. The ex-25 tube could be added to the 40-150, but is a bit more difficult to use.

The Olympus E330 is perhaps the finest macro DSLR due to its live view mode and its articulating screen. The optical viewfinder is a pain to use in many situations.

DSLRs will allow a shallower depth of field, which may be of value in some situations. Currently I use the Fuji S7000 for macro because I don't have to use an optical viewfinder and I have some degree zoom to recompose without having to move the tripod and set up the shot again. The greater depth of field can be of value when a flower is swaying slightly with the breeze. Point and shoot cameras can do a decent job for macro.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 2:52 PM   #9

UKDigital is my local shop, they often have decent prices. I think that the guys in Mathers know a lot more about photography and the kit though.

p.s. you often see cameras advertised as 'macro down to 1cm' etc. This is useless if you want to photograph living things like insects as they will just fly away most of the time. Being too close can block out the light and most cameras achieve this at the wide end of the zoom where the image is often seriously distorted (usually barrel distortion). A proper macro lens will give 1:1 at a decent distance of 20-30cm.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:23 AM   #10

i was disapointed with mathers, because the fella who i presume was the boss/owner, last year was selling me the pentax 100, he told me that it had dust removal of which i informed him it didn't, after checking the spec, and a lengthy discussion about it, he told me i was right, that is why i ended up at ukdigital,

could you please tell me what you use for macro (if you do macro that is), i like my camera, buton super macro, i can get right up to the subject, however, i have shade problems, either from my self or off the adaptor on the camera, otherwise this camera is superb for me, i photographed a ladybird in the garden yesterday and have now installed it as my desktop, of which is a 17 inch monitor the insect, without cropping, is approx. 2", the camera was virtually touching it, in your opinion is this right, or am i expecting to much, i look at other peoples macros and wonder where i am going wrong, i think i do all right with flowers, but i know i need to improve

thanks again for responding, alan