Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:06 PM   #1

Canon or Nikon. Which Camera is More "Pro?"

This was a Poll from another Forum. It was a Poll given by someone who in my opinion has been profoundly and inexorably brainwashed and as a result I felt compelled to leave the following message:

My Heading: Neither...All Of and Anything that Can...

This is a false premise...Most of the present day DSLR's can be used professionally. Whether it is Sony, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Sigma, Leica or Samsung. Ten million pixels is more than enough to be published in all types of magazines as well as most poster formats. I have been published using the Canon 350D, just to prove to myself that it doesn't really matter. I once used a Canon G5 circa 2002-3 5megapixel camera with hot-shoe and RAW capability and was also published with it.

I am fed up with pixel peeping incompetents that spend most of their time scrutinizing the screen on the computer rather than enjoying the act of expression. If what you find joy in is the technical aspects of the anatomy of a camera, perhaps that may be the subject of your post. I can guarantee that if I gave you a 'Blad with a 39 mega pixel back it wouldn't improve on your capacity to express what you are expressing presently and until you understand the need to have "X-Zillion" Pixels, I suggest you spend more time perfecting your art. By doing so you may then ask yourself. Is the tool I am using limiting my capacity to express that which I need to express by being technically substandard? Is it therefore impeding my capacity to express myself? Give me a Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, Leica, Olympus, Sigma or what ever and I will take images that will work because I know the support it will be utilized in.

It is the photographer and not the camera that captures the image. It is through those eyes that we can see a part of the "ID" and what is important to the artist. It is the capturing of that moment that makes the individual unique. The decision as to when one captures the moment is crucial to his/her expression and not with which camera it was taken with.

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:17 AM   #2

Hear! Hear!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:57 PM   #3

Amen!
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:19 PM   #4

I go out for a day of shooting and images go to the card. When I return, I'm anxious to transfer those images, hopeful they were captured as I intended. Some were focused in a way that fell short, some were out of sorts in other ways, but some put a smile of satisfaction on my face. That's why I go out.

Then I find a gallery by some previously unknown photographer. At least unknown to me. Photo after photo I begin to understand his methods, his vision, his passion. I begin to understand how far I have to go with my own work.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:44 PM   #5

It's a poor carpenter that faults his tools for his lack of skill.

Everytime I go out on a photo shoot I try to learn something. I try to review what I did and how I could have done it better.

My digital equipment gives me the freedom to experiment and get better.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:20 AM   #6

My Brother a Studio Musician, Touring Artist and Architect had this to say regarding my original post:

Very true and a universal truth that can apply to pretty much any endeavor. A great, good or competent artist, entrepreneur, grand prix racer, truck driver,carpenter,athlete,or, you fill in the space, relies on their talent, abilities ,judgement and sixth sense. They can "perform" on any equipment. The difference between the quality of their "performance" on mediocre versus excellent equipment is minimal. The difference between the quality of the "performance" of a mediocre talent on mediocre versus excellent equipment is also minimal. Only a mediocre talent blames their equipment. A great, good or competent talent capitalizes on what they have.......
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:48 AM   #7

Funnily enough, I signed on this AM to post a question for the pros here.....now I think I can guess the answer.....

$1100 on a new complete outfit of DSLR and all the goodies.... OR

$800 on the outfit and $300 at the local community college for Photography Class?

john
jpmann66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:15 AM   #8

The very best investment you can make is an investment in your own potential.

Knowledge and experience will never leave you.

Take the class.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:26 AM   #9

jpmann66 wrote:
Quote:
Funnily enough, I signed on this AM to post a question for the pros here.....now I think I can guess the answer.....

$1100 on a new complete outfit of DSLR and all the goodies.... OR

$800 on the outfit and $300 at the local community college for Photography Class?

john
$300 FOR A CLASS AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE!?!?!
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:51 AM   #10

Erie County Community College, $125 per credit hour for residents....I think there is an "audit" option to attend half price for those who have more academic credits than we know what to do with..... class is AT220 Photography in the Communiaitons / media arts dept.

john

jpmann66 is offline   Reply With Quote