Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:26 PM   #1

Seeking advice on a digital solution for fishing photography. Surprisingly, my Casio Exilim Z40 has taken some great photos: http://www.chromeonchrome.com but alas she's nearly dead from severe weather outings. We catch and photograph large Migratory Trout caught in rivers. I'm looking for a very fast camera as we are trying to return these beautiful, mystical animals to the water as fast as possible. My basic photo-shoot is going from an un-powered camera to as many shots as possible in 30seconds. We do this year round in rain, snow, and below zero temperatures, so durability is a major concern. Picture quality is a big concern since I'm shooting for magazine covers and poster blowups. Ease of use is a concern – reference above. Bulk or "packability" would be nice since these outings are all on foot over many miles with lots of fishing gear to carry, but isn't my prime concern. Budget is roughly $500 to $1200 all inclusive (roughly).
I'm considering 3 different options (camera and case are just examples):
(1) $350 Waterproof Point&Shoot like the Pentax Optio W30 or Olympus eq
(2) $700 High end Point&Shoot like Canon SD800/G7 and waterproof specific housing like http://www.amazon.com/Canon-WP-DC9-W.../dp/B000J4DGS0
(3) $1200 Entry level SLR like Nikon D80 and waterproof case like Aquapac http://www.waterproofcases.net/slrcamera.html
My concern is a choice like (1) would leave me severely wanting in speed and pic quality. A choice like (2) would have me wondering: "why I didn't spend a little extra to get the SLR and a choice like (3) might have durability, ease-of-use, and packability issues.
Any guidance you knowledgeable folk could offer up would be extremely appreciated since I really only have one shot at this financially speaking.
Thank you kindly.
Attached Images

Deju is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:39 PM   #2

If you want to go SLR and don't intend to submerge it.... The Pentax K10D is also dust and weather sealed. (lenses another matter but the camera itself is, and pentax is coming out with some weather sealed lenses as well..

Living in Key West (often near salt air/spray and rain, this was a major selling point for me, aside from it being a great camera.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:08 PM   #3

hayward, looks like a solid slr - I'm definitely putting it on the slr list. However, I'm really going to need a setup that's waterproof not just resistant as I would like to set the camera down in shallow water and maybe take shallow submerged photos - as well as use it in pouring rain and awful Buffalo, NY snow storms
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:15 PM   #4

The Olympus E-1 is weatherproof, and has plenty of weatherproof lenses already available. It's an older model, and wouldn't be as quick shot to shot as a more up to date model. But 5MP would be fine for magazine covers. And the system as a whole is a bit smaller and lighter weight than most. If you want to actually take it under water you would need a case, but it would survive a good downpour without one.

The Olympus 720SW and 770SW are probably the best choices in a point and shoot. The 720SW is waterproof to 10 feet and shockproof (supposed to handle a 5 foot drop).

The newer Stylus 770SW (in some countries I think it's the mju770) is waterproof to 30 feet, shockproof (5 feet), crushproof (up to 220 pounds weight), and is supposed to work in temperatures as low as -10 C. This looks like the one compact camera that is literally made exactly for what you are describing, no case needed. Image quality won't likely be very good indoors, and Olympus compacts tend to be slow shot to shot compared to competing models. But image quality should be generally good outdoors, though a DSLR would likely do better with the right lens.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:15 PM   #5

I'm now thinking the p&s weatherproof models are never going to have enough guts for what I need to get done. Playing around with my brother's Canon RebelXT - nice slr, but pretty heavy.

The E-1 looks like a good choice.

Does anyone on here have any experience with high end p&s or entry level slr for the type of stuff I'm doing?