Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:54 PM   #1

Ok I got the S3, and love the quality..but it is just to bulky. Does anyone have a recommendation for something a little smaller. I am looking for a goodcamera for kids activities, action shots etc....

Must Haves

GoodZoom to get close ups

Continuous Shooting capability..Loved this aboutthe S3

Short lag time for taking pics. Thought the S3 was good at this.

Thanks for any advise. Isaw on Steves list of Best Cameras other alternatives to S3 werePanasonic DMC-FZ7, Kodak Z612 and Sony H2..are these just as bulky?

G
samismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:40 PM   #2

For the most parts, those cameras are just as bulky. I can't think ofa camera off the top of my head that has the zoom capabilities that the S3 has in any less of a camera body. But I'm usually wrong about these things. If you are willing to settle for a 6x optical zoom check out some of the Canon A series.
clbryant1981@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:45 AM   #3

Weight with batteries:

S3 510g (18oz.)
Z612 330g (11.6oz.)
Z712 IS 330g (11.6oz)
FZ7 340g (12oz.)
FZ8 340g (12oz.)
TZ3 280g (9.9oz)
S700 ~400g (14.1oz)

There are a few that are a bit less heavy. There's not really that much difference in size though for most. At least part of the difference in weight with all of these is due to the use of a rechargeable Li-ion battery instead of AAs. And the S3 is the only one of these with the flip screen LCD.

The Panasonic TZ3 is physically noticeably the smallest, only about half as thick. But it's not good for your kids shots indoors, and it is slower shot to shot as well. But it would be OK for outdoors.

The Fuji S700 is a new model, and I'm not sure how it will measure up in performance, but it's a budget model and doesn't have IS.

I think the Kodak Z612 might be the best choice right now, but in some ways it might also be a downgrade. It's actually a bit quicker shot to shot though, and has a good 8 shot burst mode.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:26 PM   #4

Sorry kenbalbari , but the Canon S3 is 14.5 ounces. Check CNET.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:20 AM   #5

The Casio V7 is rated at 3fps in burst, which is I think a little faster than the S3. It is pocketable with an excellent movie mode. All the recent Casios have been pretty quick for delay and cycle times.

The Panasonic TZ3 is a little larger and has a 10X lens. All of the Panasonics have decent burst modes and the TZ3 is also 3fps. It is also fairly quick if you don't use the 9 point auto-focus.

If your secret location is outside the US, Ricoh has some nice small cameras with decent zoom.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:40 AM   #6

Weight with batteries:

S3 510g (18oz.)

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:54 PM   #7

Hey, it's Fugihun!!! Take the time to check CNET :idea:
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:31 AM   #8

CNET has the weight without batteries.

As I pointed out, a good part of the weight difference is due to 4 AA batteries. The batteries add about 100g weight. A Li-ion recharchable of equal power adds about 30g of weight. So the batteries type accounts for about 70g (or 2.5 oz) of weight difference. I'd guess the swivel screen also adds a bit of weight.

Though I'm not even sure though if weight was an issue for the original poster, or if size was more important.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 8:12 AM   #9

"Sorry kenbalbari , but the Canon S3 is 14.5 ounces. Check CNET."

"Take the time to check CNET"

Take the time to make sure you know what you're talking about before you tell people they're wrong.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:58 AM   #10

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
"Sorry kenbalbari , but the Canon S3 is 14.5 ounces. Check CNET."

"Take the time to check CNET"

Take the time to make sure you know what you're talking about before you tell people they're wrong.

the Hun
Strange that it bothers you more than the person whom I was addressing and quit cutting and pasting quotes from one message then another to make it look like it was one conversation and allowing you to take it out of context. Shame on you Hun...

The first quote you refer to was made to kenbalbari and the second one to you.
Kenbalbari was not offended by my ignorance but you had to SHOUT your response to me.
Don't be so rude dude...