Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:35 PM   #1

Hi, I am looking for low budget (US$ 400 - 450) camera that shoots in RAW.
For shooting in RAW a camera must be digital SLR?

thanks.
fmingo
fmingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:46 PM   #2

There are non-DSLR cameras that shoot RAW, but last I checked they were functionally quite limited. My Panasonic FZ30 can shoot RAW, but there's a 3 second delay before I can shoot another. When I bought it about 15 months ago that was actually quite fast for a non-DSLR as comparable cameras had a 10 second delay.

On your budget a DSLR is not necessarily out of the question. You can get the Pentax K110D with a kit lens for about that much. Check out beachcamera.com. You might also consider the Pentax K100D for a bit more which includes built in lens stabilization.

These cameras are also nice for someone on a budget (like myself) because there is a large variety of old Pentax lenses out there that are compatible with these cameras. I consider that ideal for someone wanting to learn photography, particularly if you don't mind manually focusing.

The question for you though is why do you need to shoot RAW? Do you understand what a RAW file is and what it's benefits and drawbacks are? Do you have software (ie Photoshop) available to you so as to take best advantage of the format? It's not a simple matter of RAW simply being better than JPG, a lot of professional DSLR users find that shooting JPG has more benefits for what they do.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:38 PM   #3

I count 11 current digicam models that shoot RAW. And four of those are Olympus or Fuji models with XD cards which might make Corpsy's 3 second delay between shots seem quick.

Start adding other requirements, like wide angle lens, flash hotshoe, how much zoom you need, and the options quickly dwindle.

I'm not sure what your other requirments arem but here are a few options:

Kodak: P880, P712
Fuji: S6000fd, S9100
Olympus: SP-510, SP-550
Panasonic: FZ7, FZ8, LX2, FZ-50
Canon: G6

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:11 PM   #4

The Fuji S5200 also shoots RAW. However, if I had to pick a Fuji, I would rather a spend a little more money (still within the OP's budget) and get the S6000fd (better low light performance) or the S9100 (hot shoe, articulating LCD, and CF memory card option).

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

Im interested in RAW format because I generally process images in Photoshop and other programs for design issues. So in my search as a newbie photographer , I wanted a camera that let me improve my skills as a photographer and also offer RAW material for editing. all for a reasonable price. Im aware of RAW drawbacks, and im Ok with them

My requirements aren't much: Mpx between 5-7, Zoom 5x upwads, and Raw. For the rest im not picky so ill follow the reviews comments

I've taken a look to my local stores (bad experiences Internatl shipping... so illl buy it in my country.) and this 3 cameras got my attention:

Olympus SP-510 (US$480)
Nikon Coolpix 5400 (US$600)
Fujifilm FinePix S5200 (US$400)

Any comments about these 3?
The Nikon seems to be better, but it escapes a little in my budget (I could make an extra effort if the quality difference is big enough)
The Olympus seems quite good, only slow and with noise in low light
The Fuji got my attention because of it's price and good reviews, but ive seen some sample pictures here in Steve, and im not convinced with the excesive grain (although is good quality): (Compared to the other two, the pictures look with blur and noise when zoomed)

(these two are samples from Fuji s5200)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/dscf0013.jpg
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/dscf0029.jpg

(thes two are samples for the Olympus sp510)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...s/p1110062.jpg
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...s/p1100019.jpg

Well, hope you can guide me. Thanks!!
fmingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:06 PM   #6

fmingo wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I am looking for low budget (US$ 400 - 450) camera that shoots in RAW.
For shooting in RAW a camera must be digital SLR?
Look around for a new or used Olympus E-300. They do best when shooting raw.

Amazon E-300

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:36 PM   #7

That Nikon model is more than 3 years old. I'm sure the build is nice, as it was a higher end model, but I think you can do better for the money now with a more current model.

The SP-510 review is pretty much as you described. OK all around, but slow. But worth considering for what you seem to want, which is RAW mode , manual controls available, and a good zoom on a budget.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...sp510_pg5.html

The Fuji S5200 is last year's model, but one still worth considering at a good price. I would ask about the S6000fd though, which is more up to date, and a pretty good upgrade. That's the camera I'd choose in that group, for a combination of class leading image quality (useable ISO 800, with ISO 1600 even sometimes usable if shooting RAW), manual focus and zoom rings, and the 28mm-300mm range. Not sure what prices will be in your country though.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...000fd_pg5.html

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:19 PM   #8
Super Moderator

The choice is easy surely...

B&H are advertising the Pentax K110D with kit lens for under $400 with rebate.

Buy that one.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote