Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:45 PM   #1

I'm gonna go buy a better DSLR tomorrow but I'm struggling here.

I've got a great deal on both these cameras... Which is better?

Help me out guys.

Olympus E-500 or Canon EOS 350D
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 8:02 PM   #2

That is up to you. Have you settled on a what types of photography you are intersted in and have an understanding of the features needed to accomplish your desires? Have you made a list of the features you want.

With a DSLR you are not buying a camera, you are buying a system. With a DSLR the camera is just a small, although important, part of the decision. What lenses do you want/need. What accessories do you desire.

To be get the most out of photography you need to start there. Then go to a good photography shop and check out the cameras you are interested in. Hold them, check out the placement of the controls. Look at the lenses you are interested in. Check out the other accessories you might want.

Take along a couple of media cards that fit the cameras you are interested in. Shoot some pictures with the cameras and lenses you are looking at buying. Same ISO's shutter speeds, apetures etc. Then go home and check out the results. Decide which one does a better job for you.

Now you are ready to consider buying a camera. I own better than $5000 worth of glass for my $1200 camera body and am getting close to spending $6500 for a single lens. I buy good glass knowing I will replace the body someday. I care for my glass and it will be there for a lifetime of bodies.

Probably not the advise you wanted to hear, but is a really great buy that is rushed into all that great if you listen to others, buy into a system that does not meet your needs and does not get used? Good luck
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:21 PM   #3

TheMachine wrote:
Quote:
I'm gonna go buy a better DSLR tomorrow but I'm struggling here.

I've got a great deal on both these cameras... Which is better?

Help me out guys.

Olympus E-500 or Canon EOS 350D
They are distinctly different choices.

The 350D is probably the best choice among entry level cameras for high ISO performance. The Olympus E500 is probably the worst. If you are going to do alot of low light photography, the edge goes to the Canon.

As far as lenses supplied with the camera, Olympus probably has the best performing kit lenses. The 14-45 is sharp edge to edge, and the 40-150 f3.5-4.5 is pretty fantastic for being supplied as part of the two lens kit. The Canon kit lens is probably the worst kit lens as far as performance is concerned. Most would recommend buying a body only and buying a better lens or two.

The Olympus E500 has a 2x multiplier to get the 35mm equivalent field of view vs. 1.6x for the Canon. This is a big difference when telephoto lenses are used. It makes a great wildlife/hiking camera because it will weigh less than the competition of equal telephoto reach. The smaller sensor that provides this advantage is also the reason the camera has less high ISO performance.

For me, if your going to do most of the photography outdoors, I'd go the E500 (which is the exact camera I use). If I were planning on using the camera indoors, especially if there was some fairly fast action, I'd favor the Canon and choose a lens other than the kit lens that would suit your intended purpose.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:53 AM   #4

Well... My most recent 300D was fanstastic, although the lens really did let the camera down. I know this because I've seen how well the 300D can perform with a good lens via photos on other websites.
I replaced it mainly because I had purchased it as a factory refurb and discovered slight focus screen and mirror damage. I opted to just pay a little extra and upgrade to the XT/350D.

I went to the store to buy one, but guess what... I wasn't greatly impressed with the size and feel of the body. It's smaller and lighter which is good, but perhaps a little too small, especially at the grip area where your fingers struggle to fit comforably.
And the grip is plastic, unlike the rubber on the 300D.
I try not to let minor cosmetic issues such as this put me off what is a great little camera, especially since it's likely I'd be upgrading to XTi within 6 months knowing me, but... Little things like that can really bug me.

Looking at the E-500, it is perhaps not as nice looking as the XT, but it's the same size, slightly lighter, with a nicely shaped grip and of course a 2.5 inch LCD.

Many will know from my posts that I'm a club photographer and use my camera mostly in low-light. However my interest has grown and now photography is my main hobby and my camera goes everywhere with me.
At this point I'm looking to get a camera which will support my development and grow with my skills.

A friend of mine is a semi-pro photographer who does some freelance photography work. I am a web developer and graphic designer. We have decided to combine our skills and launch a small business.
With this in mind, I'm looking into joining a local photography workshop and expanding my knowledge.

The camera will be used mostly for portrait photography. But my interest is in landscapes and wildlife (lens permitting). And so I'm looking to get the best all-rounder, and then invest in better lenses as and when I have some money to throw into it.

People on other forums seem to indicate that the XT would be the best choice for me at this point. But my friend who is a highly experienced DSLR user tells me that the E-500 would be the better investment. And so I'm torn between the two.

Perhaps another key factor would be price. I've set myself a budget of £400 for the initial investment.
I've found a XT supplier and can get a silver XT (Canon refurb) for £300 (although I'm not keen on the silver), or a black XT (New) for £350.
I've found an E-500 supplier selling the two lens kit (new) for £350.

Either way I have no camera right now and I'm climbing the walls so I need to make up my mind and order ASAP.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:04 AM   #5

From whet I understand is that the noise issue of the E500 is only half a stop worse compared to other entry level DLSR's.

The telelens from Olympus (40-150mm) is at least half a stop faster than other tele-kitlenses.

Somehow I don't like canon all that much, but that's just me!

Canon has more lenses available, but Olympus and Panasonic/Leica are working on that.

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:53 AM   #6

I was in a bidding war for a new XT on eBay. Started at £180, rising to £250 during the hour. Then in the last 60 seconds it jumped up to £296 and I just wasn't fast enough getting my £301 bid in there!

Grrrrrrrr
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:23 PM   #7

Between those two models, I believe the difference at high ISO is more than a full stop. The E-500 at ISO 800 looks similar to the 350D at ISO 1600, and the 350D is actually a bit more sensitive at similar ratings (ISO 1600 is more like ISO 2000). But I think the difference with the E-330 is more like a half stop (maybe 2/3ds). The E-330 is similarly to the Canon a bit more sensitive than rated.

I suspect the new E-510 might even have an overall edge in low light, with that improvement at high ISO, and with in body IS. But that looks outside your current budget.

You can maybe get good results with the E-500 and a Sigma 30mm f1.4 in some of those club situations. Shooting in RAW also helps. But if you do very much of that I suspect you would also quickly be eager to upgrade to the E-510.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:46 PM   #8

Thanks for the info there guys. Between this forum, and other forums I'm posting on, 98% of people are telling me that although both cameras are nice preformers, I'm better off investing in the XT as my first DSLR.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:08 PM   #9

I've just purchased the XT