Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:43 PM   #1

Hi all,

Hope you can shine some light in my quest finding the right digicam.

The Ixus 850is seems to have it all to me. OIS, 28mm wide angle, good quality pics,good vid,nice compact design, good batterylife.Basically everything you'd want in a compact camera. Only downside is it's price. 330 euro here.I am just a point and shoot kind of guy and want a cam that gets the best picture right out of the box. take alot of pics indoors and clubs, but when on holiday I like to take pics of the sights.

When i browse the different cams...there seems to be a lot of choice at a lower pricepoint. Between 150-250.

Here are some favourites:

1)Fuji Fseries. Seems like ideal camera for my needs.Take lots of pictures of friends and family indoors.Just it's use of the XDcard is a downside. Here thse cards cost about twice what a similar SD would cost.

a)F20...€150.Biggest bang for the buck it seems.

b)F30...€190. Is it worth the extra 40€?HAs extra the longer battery life and even better ISO/

c)F31fd...€215 Seems a slight improvement in pic quality over F30 en features the FDoption.

d)F40fd...€235.A f20 with more MP and FDtech? To bad there is no tests. Because this doesn't seem worth teh price different with the F20.

2)Panasonic Lumix FX-07...224€.Has all the features as the IXUS 850is, but 100€ less. Stillwhen you read the reviews it's not that good when taking pics. How bad is it actually? It seems to me this camera is the anti-fuji.Loaded with features, but letdown in picture making esspecially in higher iso.

3)Canon Ixus SD600...215€.Seems like the standard camera with the now standard options. Cheapest Ixus available and quite good pics for a vanilla cam.

4)Ricoh Caplio R5..235€.Seems likean even better deal than the Panasonic.28mm-200mm lens.Has pretty much teh same options as the FX-07 and 850IS.Not sure how really small it is.How much better is the pic compared with the FX-07?

Hope you guys can help out. Which to choose.

alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:12 PM   #2

"Fuji Fseries. Seems like ideal camera for my needs.Take lots of pictures of friends and family indoors.Just it's use of the XDcard is a downside. Here thse cards cost about twice what a similar SD would cost."

Alden,

I think you're right as far as the first part of your statement...the Fuji 'F' Series is the best in low light in a compact cam. If you're going to be primarily taking indoor pics, I haven't seen another camera come close. I would, however, tend to disagree with the second part of your statement. I have seen many posts complaining about the high cost of xD cards. In some cases, people buy another brand of camera, just because they use 'cheaper' SD cards. Then, these same individuals go out and buy an Extreme III SD card, and wind up paying 50% more than they would have for a comparably sized xD. Here's a couple of examples - first, A SanDisk 1GB Type H xD card at B&H...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Now, a SanDisk 1GB Extreme III SD card...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...amp;sku=356018

Yeah, you can go out and find a generic (or counterfeit) SD card on ebay for $11, but is it really a good deal? And is the camera that uses it going to be better for your needs than one of the 'F' series?

My vote for your usage would be the F31FD.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:49 PM   #3

Isn't a normal SD card faster than a regular XD card anyway? But The price for a 1GB is 20€ Thats OK imho.With 6mp...1gb is plenty anyway.

Frankly right nowthe choice isbetween:

One of the F-series digicams. Top pics, but basically it just has the standard options.

Or go for one of these:

The Ricoh Caplio R5 or Panasonic LumixFX-07

These cams have drawbacks. The r5 it's crappy zoombutton and the panny with it's noisy pics. But these camera's have the options I am really interested in.Like OIS, 28mm widelens, extra zoom(specially the R5)

The vanilla cam with the great pics or the cam with the options.
alden is offline   Reply With Quote