Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:12 PM   #1

I am only looking to spend max $500. I know the dslr would be the best, but can't afford those.

I was considering the Sony Cybershot H series, but am up for anything.

Would prefer a decent zoom, image stabilization and high speed. I have an old cybershot 5 meg DSC-P92 that has died on me. Most pics of horses turned out blurry with it.

Thanks for any help!
bpaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:46 PM   #2

bpaso wrote:
Quote:
I am only looking to spend max $500. I know the dslr would be the best, but can't afford those.
Yes,a dSLR would be best. But they are expensive.

bpaso wrote:
Quote:
Would prefer a decent zoom, image stabilization and high speed.

Any of the choices on Steves Digicams Best Cameras, under 10-12X Optical Super Zoom, whould do well. (Cameras with an asterisk after their name have image stabilization.)

bpaso wrote:
Quote:
I have an old cybershot 5 meg DSC-P92 that has died on me. Most pics of horses turned out blurry with it.
That could be caused by almost anything, but the best lenses come from Canon, Nikon, Zeiss (Sony), and Leica (Panasonic). (That doesn't mean you shouldn't consider, or wouldn't be happy with another brand.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:28 PM   #3

bpaso wrote:
Quote:
... Most pics of horses turned out blurry with it. ...
Figure out why they were "blurry". Motion blur would indicate you want higher ISO and/or lagrer aperature. Shake might lead you toward a camera with antishake. Bad focus might be solved with less lag or quicker focus.

Were only horse pictures blurry? Are those the only action shooting you do? What is different about the horse pictures? Answering those questions might help you pick the important features of a new camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:29 PM   #4

I'm pretty sure the shots were blurry due to the speed of the camera.

Does anyone know anything bad about the Sony Cybershot H series cameras?

What exactly is shooting in raw mode?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:21 AM   #5

bpaso wrote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the shots were blurry due to the speed of the camera.
So that would be motion blur (the horses moved during a long shutter speed) as opposed to out-of-focus blur (the camera focused on something other than the horses.)

That could be fixed by changing the exposure mode in your current camera. You could change to Shutter Priority, or Sports Mode, or whatever settings your current camera provides to take photos with a higher shutter speed.

bpaso wrote:
Quote:
What exactly is shooting in raw mode?
Digital cameras typically store images in JPEG, which is a compressed image file format. The amount of compression reduces the file size, which lets you store more images on the flash memory card, but the process of compression discards some of the image detail (to varying degreees.) RAW is a file format that contains the actual data captured by the camera's image sensor. These files are quite large, so you can store fewer of them on the flash memory card, and they require post processing (in any of several image editing programs, either free or for an additional cost.) So, you can't just immediately print the images straight from the camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:18 AM   #6

Hi,

I'm going to weigh in here only because I have many years experience shooting horses. (Oh, that sounded bad didn't it?) Or I should say trying to shoot horses.

What kind of pics are you trying to get? Fast moving horses at shows or races or horses grazing in the distance or portraits of horses?

Robin
rzarbo@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:35 AM   #7

Robin - Yeah that did sound a little bad~:-)

Mostly pics of my own horses in the field running, playing. I do show and would like to be able to use the camera there.

These would be pics for my own use. I like to take a lot of pics of my horses and have been spending a fortune on developing film in order to get just a few good shots since my digital died on me.

Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:16 PM   #8

The old basic rule keep the sun to your back solves a lot of problems.

One of our neighbors has a couple of shows each year that double the population of the township for the week-end and more than tripple the average income. I like going over and doing some shutter exercising with some reasonable results - based on about 600 shots for 60 really nice results. Wouldn't like to do that with film for sure.
Attached Images

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:57 PM   #9

I'm a big fan of image stabilization, but it doesn't help at all for subject movement. Some stabilized cameras have a mode you can leave on when panning, but it doesn't really help the image. You would normally turn the stabilization off when panning to follow a horse.

The camera you might consider is the Fuji S6000. The camera has excellent noise at high ISO, so you can capture action a lot better on a dingy day than you can with a stabilized camera. The S6000 burst isn't great at 2.2fps with a limit of three shots, but it is useable. You get the best high ISO results shooting raw. Raw doesn't give you a burst capability and you have to wait four seconds between shots. It isn't anywhere near the capabilities of a good DSLR, but it might be a better choice than the stabilized superzooms for your purposes.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:39 PM   #10

Out of curiousity, what type of film camera are you using? If you already have a film 35mm camera, you might be able to save some money by buying a dSLR of the same make - some of the makes have a pretty good backwards compatibility (but it varies depending on the manufacturer). Something to think about.

This past weekend I went over to a hunter/jumper show and played around a bit. I happen to have a Pentax dSLR (has image stabilization)and was using the DA 50-200 lens - one that is often sold as a second kit lens. It worked great outdoors on a very grey day (early June Gloom weather in Los Angeles), but is really too slow for indoors. Here'sa picture I took indoors at ISO 1600, f5.6 (widest the lens is capable of at this particular focal length).

As you can see, the fence is in focus, but the pony (who still had the fastest time when I left) was moving too fast for the shutter speed I was using. You could probably get the Pentax K100 body and the DA 50-200 for under $600 - there are rebates on both. Normally I would suggest getting the kit lens because it's one of the better ones, and inexpensive, but since your budget is limited, it would be more important for you to get the 50-200. You can find similar packages for other makes (you might want to check out the price for Nikon's super-fast lenses in this focal lengthand the D40. I suspect it would cost more money than the Pentax set-up I mentioned but it would focus faster than the DA 50-200, an average lens in all ways).

As you can see from this picture, SR/IS won't help you at all with motion blur. Is this the type of blur you get with your pictures? Or is the whole picture blurry?
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote