Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:58 PM   #1

Considering this camera and would like to know if anyone has experience with it.

Cnet review was not very good, but the user opinions spoke highly of it.

Anyone taken high speed action shots with this camera?
bpaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:03 PM   #2

To be honest, at first I was a bit disappointed with my new S9100. I started using it without really reading the manual. It became obvious pretty quickly that leaving the camera in it's default settings was producing less than optimum results. The S9100 can produce stunning results, but it does take some experimentation and patience. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, so I haven't really had a chance to take any action shots, but so far it's been a real pleasure to use.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:38 PM   #3

I have had the S9100 for about 5 months.I like thezoom range from wide angle (28mm) totelephoto (300mm) It produces very nice images at ISO 400 and below. Its fast burst modes stop after 4 images. I think that its shutter lag is short, especially when prefocused. It has an articulating LCD with good detail. It also has pretty high quality movie mode. It has a hot shoe which works with generic (non TTL) external flashes. A DSLR willl probably provide better image quality at ISO's 400 and above and will have a shorter shutter lag. If you want fast, continuous burst action shots, I would probably recommend a DSLR, maybe the Pentax K100D, which has image stabilization and costs less than $550 online with the kit lens. Another camera I might recommend is the Canon Digital Rebel XT or XTi. If you are going to take a lot of shots in low light, I would recommend the DSLR route or the slightly cheaper cousin of the the S9100, the S6000fd, whose low light performance is very good.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:11 AM   #4

robbo wrote:=
Quote:
maybe the Pentax K100D, which has image stabilization and costs less than $550 online with the kit lens. Another camera I might recommend is the Canon Digital Rebel XT or XTi.
Maybe XT if you can find one.... but otherwise I would go for the Pentax K10Dover the XTi any day ESPECIALLY as a starting point.

I actually dumped an original Rebel 300D for the Pentax K10D.... and no regrets there. (And since Canon so big no problem selling the lenses I had.... the 300D body was too used to sell in good conscience.... worth more to me with no guilt, as a back up/danger camera with the two lenses I kept... Kit and Sigma 70-300mm)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:06 PM   #5

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Maybe XT if you can find one.... but otherwise I would go for the Pentax K10Dover the XTi any day ESPECIALLY as a starting point.

How much do you know about the XTI, where the K10D sensor came from? the K10D who designed the K10D circuitry compare to Canon XTI where Canon is the third most patent holding company in the US...:-)Go down there at Canon dslr and take on the XTI with your K10D, macth picture per picture, go ahead shoot in raw and spend 10 yrs to pp them, the XTI can wait. Try to match just half the pics in the 400D thread if you can, I have another 2,000 waiting to upload. Shall we dance?
Attached Images

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote