Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:41 PM   #11

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
After reading your responses, the Nikon D80 was the first camera I thought of as well. Since you say you'll mostly shoot in good light and use a tripod when necessary, stabilization is something you probably wouldn't get much use out of. Also, if you do shoot mostly JPG then you'll get better results with a Nikon or Canon (I'm not sure about Olympus, but Pentax is pretty weak on JPGs).

From what I've read Nikon lenses tend to be very good for the money, so that should also be a benefit if you only want to get a couple zoom lenses on a limited budget, but I'm not a Nikon user so I can't suggest any lenses.
BTW...I'm since 2 decades...a Minolta. after a KM, & now only a Sony fan. To clarify myself I'm a KM Dynax (European), 7D body & from tomorrow (When will arrive from the store that I brought it), my newer lens & maybe my last one to be fitted, to my lovely 7D body for ever a Tamron 18-250mm zoom. That assure me never will enter again any dust/dirt to my camera sensor.

I'm adding a example of the lovely KM quality for your enjoyment!

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:40 PM   #12

I have narrowed down mylist to the Pentax K10D, Canon EOS 30D. and the Nikon D80.

Any comments?

My original list included the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100, Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi, Canon EOSDigital Rebel XT, Nikon D50, Nikon D70s, Nikon D40, Pentax *ist DS, Pentax *ist DS2, Pentax *ist D, Pentax K100D, Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D, Canon EOS 20D, and the Nikon D200. I gotmost of the list from the Steves-digicams' dSLR camera section.

Free free to talk about them too.

OK, I have just realized that I have been recommended the Nikon D80, thanks for that recommendation! :-)I really liked the Nikon D80 alot, I had the greatest of pleasure shooting with it compared to the others.

I have tested the Canon EOS 30D, Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi, Pentax K10D, Sony Alpha dSLR-A100, Nikon D70s, and the Canon EOS 5D before and they don't feel as greatas the Nikon D80, which I really enjoyed shooting with! :-)

Itested the Canon EOS 30D with the battery grip andwith the Canon 17-55mm F/2.8 USM IS zoom lens,

I tested the Canon EOS 5D with the battery pack and with some professional Canon L glass zoom lens,

I tested the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 with the Sony 70-300mm zoom lens,

I tested the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi with the Canon 18-55mm zoom kit lens,

I tested the Nikon D70s with the Nikkor 18-70mm kit zoom lens,

I tested the Pentax K10D with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens zoom,

And finally I have tested the Nikon D80 with the Nikkor 18-135mm kitzoom lensand Ifelt the most impressed with it!
A1_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:45 PM   #13

Since ergonomics is one of the most important things, it sounds like you've found your camera - go buy the D80, you won't be disappointed (and no, I don't own a Nikon camera). Remember, a camera that's comfortable to carry and use will be with you most of the time. A camera you find difficult, too heavy, too awkward will stay in your closet and can't take a good picture, no matter how wonderful the camera is.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:07 AM   #14

I think you should get the D80.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 2:03 AM   #15

Thanks guys!!

I actually forgot to mention that I have also tested the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT with the Canon 70-200mm F/2.8L USM IS zoom lens, man, shallow depth of field on that one, just beautiful for portraits...But the Nikon D80 with the 18-135mm kit lens does a wonderful job for portraits too! I could also get in nice portraits at the long end of the 18-135mm with some nice soft backgrounds effects too! :-)

I just do not know why the Pentax K10D did not felt so impressive to me. I tested the camera in a fairly bright condition with some pretty bright fluorescent lightings overhead. I just didn't felt so impressed by its responsiveness and shuttersound. The shutter sounded likea pair of scissorscutting through hair, like a barber cutting your hair - that kind of scissors snapping sound. The camera alsoseems to decide on a slower shutter speed instead of popping up a flash in auto mode,I had to pop upits flash manually. When Ilooked at its menu layout for the first time, I just didn'tdared to scroll through it and I guess I have to figure out how to use it too. The camera also uses the center focus point only in auto mode, which was pretty disconcerting to me at that moment.

The Canon EOS 30D also didn't impressed me for some reasons...And I was using aUS$1000+ zoomlenson it too. The camera as a whole feltuncomfortably heavy and hard to me, andthere is just afeeling of coldness using it - like a rock. The camera also didn't felt comfortable in my hands - a feeling of hardness. I expected more from it, especially the viewfinder quality with F/2.8, which I find to be no difference from the viewfinder view of the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi's withtheF/3.5- 5.6 kit lens. Not to mention that the Canon 17-55mm F/2.8 USM IS lens felt rather tacky and plastic like to me - and that lens cost no less than US$1000+ :O:!:

The Canon EOS 5Dwas everything like the Canon EOS 30D, except that its viewfinder viewwas noticeably superior - which I liked. The camerastill felt as hard and cold to me, but the overall feeling of it was still slightly better than the Canon EOS 30D - maybe because itwas designed better -a bit more friendly to the hands. But that camera cost around twice the price of the 30D.

The Sony Alpha A100 wasn't that impressive at all. I tested the camera, a new unit, at the airport and fired a few shots with it. The camera seems to feel kind of tacky and loose to me. I dislike the fact that it fires many rapid multiple red eye reduction flashesin auto-mode when taking portraits or people shots- just too slowand inefficientin my opinion. Its flash also had to be manually raised. The viewfinder quality of the camera is also substandard. The build quality of the camera wasn't impressive and its LCD monitor quality alsowasn't that impressive - thatwas alsothe second time Iwasoperating a Sony Alpha A100 to be honest.

The Canon EOS400D was surprisingly nice. I liked the camera and it felt well put together and solid. The viewfinder was also surprisingly good in quality, and the camera was nice and compact - looks nice and cool too. I tested the camera and fired shots with it and felt that it was responsive with a high quality photographic LCD monitor. The Canon EOS 400D really wasn't a bad camera at all. I testedthe EOS 400D version of the camera at a Canon workshop.

I also tested the Nikon D70s with its kit lens and I also had a pleasure shooting with the combination. The camera felt solid, and itwas responsive and quick to the actions. The shutter soundwas cool and it snaps quickly. The 2.0" LCD monitorwas high in photographic quality, and the pop up flash was quick to respond in need. I liked the feel of the camera and it felt hefty and purposeful.

Finally...The Nikon D80 was the most impressive among all...

The moment I picked up the camera to shoot, it has never stop impressing me...

The viewfinderview was justfantastic... and the auto focus performancein that dim photo shop was just amazing and really accurate! The 11 focus points was really doing its job well and it really impresses me! The auto-focus assist lamp will shine whenever it is needed, and everything was just working very efficiently and fast indeed.

The camera felt very responsive and quick and it has never left me waiting at all.

The menu is very impressive, the moment I saw it, I though that I have never saw anything so nice before - and itwas true. The menu is so user friendly that I could just start using it at once, and it was really a pleasure scrolling around it - and it was all spontaneous without much thought too!

Thebuild in flash was quick to pop up when it was needed and it was really bright.

The camera was very snappy and instant.

The shutter response of the camera isimpressive and therelease sound is just solid and well damped.

The build quality of the camerawas darn good!

The feel of the camera is great.

The camera felt slightly heavy but I like that - more like a feeling of solidness!

Mighty impressive camera!

:|

Just for the record, I tested the Nikon D80 with the 18-135mm under the dimmest lighting condition of all compared to the others, which was tested under fairly bright lightings, yet the Nikon D80 could impress me far more than the others in terms of speed and responsiveness! Just think about it. :idea:

I'll throw this one at Canon any day, who always claims that they are the best in everything - the Canon conference I have attended. Yet their US$1000+ EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 USM IS zoom lens can feel that tacky and plastic like in my hands...The lens produced a hollow "took took" like sound when I zoomed in and out with it. :lol::?

Canon should improve their designs in my opinion.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:48 AM   #16

dr_spock wrote:
Quote:
I could not agree with this statement of yours any further! :-)

BUT, I am still welcoming any other suggestions or opinions. This place should be a free place right, and everyone should be able to have their say in here.

Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:18 AM   #17

A1_II wrote:
Quote:
The camera alsoseems to decide on a slower shutter speed instead of popping up a flash in auto mode,I had to pop upits flash manually. When Ilooked at its menu layout for the first time, I just didn'tdared to scroll through it and I guess I have to figure out how to use it too. The camera also uses the center focus point only in auto mode, which was pretty disconcerting to me at that moment.
A couple of clarifications/comments about the K10. I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind about getting the D80, but rather clarifying a couple of things.

There are all kinds of options with the K10 (a case for reading the manual more than once). The camera has something called a program line - basically you can tell the camera if you want it to emphasize shutter speed or DOF when it is computing exposure. You can also set it to automatically choose a set range (which you can specify) for ISO, which could also boost the shutter speeds, if that's what you are trying to do. There are a huge number of choices and customizing of various controls on the camera - it isn't the best camera for someone who doesn't want to think about such things.

The K10 can also use other focus points in both green (auto) and P modes. It depends on what the switch on the camera is set for. I use P rather than the green/auto modes - they both let the camera set things but you have more latitude to change things with the P mode. And I just checked my K10 and it will use multiple points in the green mode, if you have it set to select the point on the dial.

As far as the flash goes, just my opinion but I hate on-board flash and use it only for specific situations. I don't want the camera making the decision about where and when to use flash (one of the reasons why I never used the auto mode on a previous Pentax camera, where it would put the flash up automatically). That's a matter of personal preference.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:32 AM   #18

A1_II wrote:
Quote:
dr_spock wrote:
Quote:
I could not agree with this statement of yours any further! :-)

BUT, I am still welcoming any other suggestions or opinions. This place should be a free place right, and everyone should be able to have their say in here.

What would be the point? You've found the camera you're most comfortable with. You didn't like the feel / handling of most of the other cameras and that's important. Ergonomics is a very personal thing. I'm guessing if you let someone convince you to buy a different camera there is a part of you that will regret it.

And by the way - I don't even own Nikon - I work with a different system so it's not like I'm trying to convince you to buy MY brand. I do believe though that the D80 is quite capable of fitting your needs and you like it's feel.

My advice is to go with your gut and don't look back. Sure others will be offended because you didn't choose THEIR system - who cares? This camera is what's right for YOU.

Buy it and enjoy it!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:12 AM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
A1_II wrote:
Quote:
The camera alsoseems to decide on a slower shutter speed instead of popping up a flash in auto mode,I had to pop upits flash manually. When Ilooked at its menu layout for the first time, I just didn'tdared to scroll through it and I guess I have to figure out how to use it too. The camera also uses the center focus point only in auto mode, which was pretty disconcerting to me at that moment.
A couple of clarifications/comments about the K10. I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind about getting the D80, but rather clarifying a couple of things.

There are all kinds of options with the K10 (a case for reading the manual more than once). The camera has something called a program line - basically you can tell the camera if you want it to emphasize shutter speed or DOF when it is computing exposure. You can also set it to automatically choose a set range (which you can specify) for ISO, which could also boost the shutter speeds, if that's what you are trying to do. There are a huge number of choices and customizing of various controls on the camera - it isn't the best camera for someone who doesn't want to think about such things.

The K10 can also use other focus points in both green (auto) and P modes. It depends on what the switch on the camera is set for. I use P rather than the green/auto modes - they both let the camera set things but you have more latitude to change things with the P mode. And I just checked my K10 and it will use multiple points in the green mode, if you have it set to select the point on the dial.

As far as the flash goes, just my opinion but I hate on-board flash and use it only for specific situations. I don't want the camera making the decision about where and when to use flash (one of the reasons why I never used the auto mode on a previous Pentax camera, where it would put the flash up automatically). That's a matter of personal preference.
Hi there, I didn't mean to bring down the Pentax K10D and it is a very very great camera by any measure. What I meant was that the Pentax K10D will not use any of its surrounding 10 focus points other that its center focus point only when in auto mode. The Nikon D80's 11 focus points are very dynamic and active in auto mode and they will all lock on firmly, lighting up very brightly to indicate focus lock according to the subject or scene. :-)

DISCLAIMER,

I must state that I have judged all the cameras in auto mode only. In this, the Nikon D80 excels in my opinion. I do not have the time to bring back the cameras and live with them for a time being, so I would not know how they would be performing as I explore them further. But if I have the chance, I will love to bring back the cameras one by one and live with them for a period of time for each. In that case, only will I be able to give more judgments to the respective cameras involved.

Quote:
What would be the point? You've found the camera you're most comfortable with. You didn't like the feel / handling of most of the other cameras and that's important. Ergonomics is a very personal thing. I'm guessing if you let someone convince you to buy a different camera there is a part of you that will regret it.

And by the way - I don't even own Nikon - I work with a different system so it's not like I'm trying to convince you to buy MY brand. I do believe though that the D80 is quite capable of fitting your needs and you like it's feel.

My advice is to go with your gut and don't look back. Sure others will be offended because you didn't choose THEIR system - who cares? This camera is what's right for YOU.

Buy it and enjoy it!
Which camera system are you in I am curious?

By the way, thanks for your piece of strong advice too.

I just need to state that whatever I have just said about the cameras above ARE SUBJECTIVE.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:18 AM   #20

[align=left]By the way, I don't hate Canon, Pentax, or Sony as the way I have made things to be.

As you can see, I still selected the Canon EOS 30D and the Pentax K10D in my final 3 and I have done so because I still like those cameras a lot.

I still think that they are pretty solid cameras build wise, with excellent image qualities, a great feature set, and with fast burst rates of 3-5fps.

Nice semi pro dSLR cameras those are.
[/align][align=left]O come on, the Nikon D80 is still just a bloody entry level dSLR! - Just a very good one that is to replace the Nikon D50. It was supposed to be a Nikon D50s at my guess. If you see, it is just like a Nikon D50 MK II. :-)
[/align][align=left]
Peace.
[/align]