Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:28 AM   #31

I have a concern,

My camera often goes through a lot of tear and wear, so I may need one that is very durable and hardy - one that should be able to withstand my frequent usage of it.

Any idea?

Most importantly, will the Nikon D80 be able to withstand my frequent usage of it daily? I often hear that Nikon dSLR cameras are very hardy and well made.

Probably dust would be an issue too. My Nikon F100 and the Nikkor AF 50mm F/1.8D had dust problems.

A1_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:31 AM   #32

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
As far as the flash goes, just my opinion but I hate on-board flash and use it only for specific situations. I don't want the camera making the decision about where and when to use flash (one of the reasons why I never used the auto mode on a previous Pentax camera, where it would put the flash up automatically). That's a matter of personal preference.
Interesting... on KM cameras the onboard flash will operate as long as it is up.I don't like to use onboard flashes because they are usually not bright enough and can't be bounced.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:47 AM   #33

A1_II wrote:
Quote:
Most importantly, will the Nikon D80 be able to withstand my frequent usage of it daily? I often hear that Nikon dSLR cameras are very hardy and well made.

Probably dust would be an issue too. My Nikon F100 and the Nikkor AF 50mm F/1.8D had dust problems.

I often hear voices in my head and they have been getting louder lately. :lol:

I'm not sure what you point is about the dust. They will all get dust in them eventually unless you takes pictures in a "clean room" environment. If dust is a concern, scrap the whole DSLR idea and get yourself a point and shoot.

You remind of a guy that used to come here and seek advice but was very knowledgable about the cameras he was researching. He would do so much research that he would keep changing his mind on which camera to buy. He soon began giving expert advice, but never bought a camera after spending many months on here. Despite what else is available, you can't go wrong with the Nikon. We make our choices and we live with them... now it's time to make yours.

Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:20 AM   #34

Meatwhistle wrote:
Quote:
A1_II wrote:
Quote:

I often hear voices in my head and they have been getting louder lately. :lol:

I'm not sure what you point is about the dust. They will all get dust in them eventually unless you takes pictures in a "clean room" environment. If dust is a concern, scrap the whole DSLR idea and get yourself a point and shoot.

You remind of a guy that used to come here and seek advice but was very knowledgable about the cameras he was researching. He would do so much research that he would keep changing his mind on which camera to buy. He soon began giving expert advice, but never bought a camera after spending many months on here. Despite what else is available, you can't go wrong with the Nikon. We make our choices and we live with them... now it's time to make yours.

Hmmm...that is very interesting indeed. :O

Anyway...I was just being a bit more critical with my decision since I am going to be laying down big money for it - the Nikon D80 in this case.

So good bye people, I will keep you'll informed when I have got the camera - provided if I am not too busy and excited shooting with my new camera! :-)

Can't wait to get it!
Old Apr 20, 2007, 3:48 PM   #35

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
As far as the flash goes, just my opinion but I hate on-board flash and use it only for specific situations. I don't want the camera making the decision about where and when to use flash (one of the reasons why I never used the auto mode on a previous Pentax camera, where it would put the flash up automatically). That's a matter of personal preference.
Interesting... on KM cameras the onboard flash will operate as long as it is up.I don't like to use onboard flashes because they are usually not bright enough and can't be bounced.
To clarify - the auto mode on the DS would allow the flash to pop up automatically, but could be turned off (as I recall). It was one of several reasons why I never used the auto mode on the DS (the other being that it forced you into using the vivid mode, which I thought was too processed for my tastes). With the other modes it would go off when you popped it up, it wouldn'tpop up automatically. The K10 may operate like that (where the flash would pop up automatically if the camera were set that way) or it may not, I don't want it to do that, so I couldn't say if it would operate like the DS or not.

The K10does work like the KM (operates as long as it is up) - the main use I make of the on-board flash is for fill flash occasionally (flowers in shadow mostly, and even then the results aren't always good). I'm happy with that - it's my decision to use it or not, by putting the flash up, and it will go off regardless. Someday (like when I win the lottery)I'll buy a proper flash and learn how to make the most of flash photography (flash photography isn't high on my personal list of priorities). But right now I've got myeye (and budget) on a new lens that's coming out. And to think I "sold" my hubby on this photo hobby by saying it would be cheaper than horses?!!?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:49 PM   #36

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
To clarify - the auto mode on the DS would allow the flash to pop up automatically, but could be turned off (as I recall). It was one of several reasons why I never used the auto mode on the DS (the other being that it forced you into using the vivid mode, which I thought was too processed for my tastes). With the other modes it would go off when you popped it up, it wouldn'tpop up automatically. The K10 may operate like that (where the flash would pop up automatically if the camera were set that way) or it may not, I don't want it to do that, so I couldn't say if it would operate like the DS or not.

The K10does work like the KM (operates as long as it is up) - the main use I make of the on-board flash is for fill flash occasionally (flowers in shadow mostly, and even then the results aren't always good). I'm happy with that - it's my decision to use it or not, by putting the flash up, and it will go off regardless. Someday (like when I win the lottery)I'll buy a proper flash and learn how to make the most of flash photography (flash photography isn't high on my personal list of priorities). But right now I've got myeye (and budget) on a new lens that's coming out. And to think I "sold" my hubby on this photo hobby by saying it would be cheaper than horses?!!?
The onboard flas does serve another important purpose on the KM and now Sony. It serves as a trigger for the wireless flash. Not a must have feature, but it works very nice.

By the way.... do you miss the FZ30?:|

Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:41 AM   #37

Do I miss the FZ30? Not likely - wrong camera for me. My month of ownership was quite educational for me because:

1. I realized that cameras are individual things and there's no one-size-fits-all. While others could take lovely pictures with their FZ30s, I couldn't figure mine out at all. Sometimes the fault oftenisn't so much the camera itself,but the photographer/camera combination.

2.I found out howmuch easier it was for meto get what I wanted with a dSLR (as others might find a fixed lens camera easier for them).

3. Before I bought the FZ30, I was anti-dSLR (and can relate to others who still are). Now I love mine, and routinely carry around more lenses than I ever did with a film SLR. It's not half the bother I had remembered - in fact, I now find it FUN!

4. It's much better to dump a camera you can't get along with at a loss than to hold onto it because you think you should be able to get it to work to your satisfaction. All that does is create frustration and takes away the fun of taking pictures. Much better to take the financial hit and put it down to one of life's lessons, then get back to having a blast taking pictures.

I don't regret buying the FZ30 at all - it's pushed me into expanding my (rather ordinary) photographic skills, a fascinating journey. I wouldn't have come as far as I have, or had as much fun, if I hadn't been faced with its challenge. I really do have to thank all of those who were around the Panasonic board at the time, for putting up with me/helping me outwhile I started down this road - it's been a fabulous trip so far.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:08 PM   #38

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Do I miss the FZ30? Not likely - wrong camera for me. My month of ownership was quite educational for me because:

1. I realized that cameras are individual things and there's no one-size-fits-all. While others could take lovely pictures with their FZ30s, I couldn't figure mine out at all. Sometimes the fault oftenisn't so much the camera itself,but the photographer/camera combination.

2.I found out howmuch easier it was for meto get what I wanted with a dSLR (as others might find a fixed lens camera easier for them).

3. Before I bought the FZ30, I was anti-dSLR (and can relate to others who still are). Now I love mine, and routinely carry around more lenses than I ever did with a film SLR. It's not half the bother I had remembered - in fact, I now find it FUN!

4. It's much better to dump a camera you can't get along with at a loss than to hold onto it because you think you should be able to get it to work to your satisfaction. All that does is create frustration and takes away the fun of taking pictures. Much better to take the financial hit and put it down to one of life's lessons, then get back to having a blast taking pictures.

I don't regret buying the FZ30 at all - it's pushed me into expanding my (rather ordinary) photographic skills, a fascinating journey. I wouldn't have come as far as I have, or had as much fun, if I hadn't been faced with its challenge. I really do have to thank all of those who were around the Panasonic board at the time, for putting up with me/helping me outwhile I started down this road - it's been a fabulous trip so far.
I didn't think my question would elicit such a huge response... LOL

I had no trouble taking pictures with it. Just didn't like the low light results. Yes the people on the Panasonic board were great and I really tried to like that camera, but it justwouldn't cut it. I too feel that that the FZ30 helped get meback into the SLR environment and I don't mind all the lenses. For casula walk around shooting I simply carry a 28-300mm, though I would like to get the new 18-250mm Tamron. I also carry a Fuji pocket cam when a DSLR just won't do.I just wish I had more time to take pictures.

Anyway, I think I've taken this thread off topic. Didn't mean to but it happens.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:22 PM   #39

I'm not so convinced that it's really gone off-topic all that much. Yes, we are talking about a different camera, but I think the principles I discovered through buyingthat cameraare appropriate.

Here we have a person who's made a decision on buying a camera that is going to set him back a pretty penny (the D80 isn't exactly chump change, though not as expensive as the pro level cameras) and he's worried he's going to be in exactly the same position I was with the FZ30. That's a valid concern, but as I hoped I explained - no onecan make the decision of whether a camera is the RIGHT camera for someone else.

Go with your gut and the feel in your hands, and accept that you won't be right every time. Even if you find that the camera doesn't suit you quite the way you had imagined, it will help you find what DOES suit you, plus it will make you a better photographer. More than likely, you'll make a good decision and buy a camera that you will enjoy for many years - the D80 is certainly capable of doing that.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 5:38 AM   #40

Alright people,

Nope, I haven't got my camera yet, but before I do, I just want to know how come the Pentax K10D doesn't light up it's auto focus points the way the Nikon D80 does?

The last time I tested them, the Pentax K10D will only brieftly light up its center focus point in red unlike the Nikon D80 that does light up its focus points as long as I am holding down the shutter release at half press.

Now I am just waiting for the right moment...

Patience, patience...pays. :-)