Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:43 AM   #41

The K10 briefly lights up those focus points it is using for the focus. The camera doesn't use ALL of its focus points ALL the time for EVERY shot - "The camera selects the optimum AF point even if the subject is not centered." (p. 132, owners manual). If you put your subject in the center, you'll always see the center point light up. If you have subjects on the third lines, those points will light up, while the center one may or may not (depends on how the camera interprets the scene). That's very useful, in case the camera has chosen a subject to focus on that isn't your intended focus point - you'd know it before you pushed the button.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:29 AM   #42

Quote:

The K10 briefly lights up those focus points it is using for the focus. The camera doesn't use ALL of its focus points ALL the time for EVERY shot - "The camera selects the optimum AF point even if the subject is not centered." (p. 132, owners manual). If you put your subject in the center, you'll always see the center point light up. If you have subjects on the third lines, those points will light up, while the center one may or may not (depends on how the camera interprets the scene). That's very useful, in case the camera has chosen a subject to focus on that isn't your intended focus point - you'd know it before you pushed the button.

Thanks foryour above response, I really appreciate it.

I think I will be getting my camera next week since itwill bethe holidays for me.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Who knows, I may even settle for the Pentax K10D...:O

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Bye.
A1_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:12 AM   #43

A1_II wrote:
Quote:
I have narrowed down mylist to the Pentax K10D, Canon EOS 30D. and the Nikon D80.

Any comments?
After 4 months with my Pentax K10D, I can say very happy (after so so orig Canon Rebel 300D)

It still frequently, very pleasantly surprises me and only rarely disappoints, usually only in very odd situations, and easily and quickly adpated to getting second try right if that is possible. K10Dis a very control flexable and ergonomic camera.

It also has a number of unique and very useful functions, like visually real time fine tuning of ANY of the WB presets, via the LCD, as well as three user definable ones. Also if last shot wan't as expected, you can just flip through the WB settings and it will alter the image to that WB, making it much easier to select which is best suited to a situation.

Also it is weather and dust sealed (great in an environment like Key West, with salt air and lots of rain and sea spray/dampness) This does not mean you won't get sensor dust (unless you never change lenses outdoors) but light rain and stuff is of no concern.

As to the AF, as has been stated there is a three possition dial "Matrix" were camera decides best of the 11 points, center point, and user selectable point

There is a similar dial for AE, with a similar matrix type auto, center weighted, or spot metering.

Another thing I like is it has two function wheels giving contol of both sides of exposure at the same time.

My favorite is P mode with rear wheel being aperture priority and the front wheel EV/Exp comp. Makes for a very powerful and quick to modify exposure option range of controling both DOF and exposure balance never taking eye off the VF.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote