Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:03 AM   #1

Hi!

I own a Fuji E900, but I'm disappointed ... The auto-focus is very slow in low-light condition. I often get out of focus pictures. I try to use iso800, but it's a little noisy. I would have prefer a smaller camera with IS.

So, for a small camera with very good low-light picture capability (maybe IS) andexcellent picture quality (of course!), what would you suggest (no matter the price)?

F30, sd700IS, ... or just keep the E900 maybe ...

Thanks!!!

bettrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 2:02 PM   #2

Hello?

Anyone?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 4:00 PM   #3

Couple of issues here of which the first is small and low light performance are contrary notions. That said both the F20 and the F30 should provide some improvement over the E900 in low light focusing (AF assist light) and reduced noise at high ISOs.

You haven't really described your low light environment so no one can really suggest whether the F20 or F30 (nor anything else) will be sufficent for your purpose.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 8:19 AM   #4

I like to take pictures of cities by night and inside.

I mostly print 4"x6"

Need more info?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:34 AM   #5

With both the F20 and the F30 the noise levels at ISO 800 should be similar to what you encounter with ISO 400 on your E900. ISO 1600 and above, according to Steve's review cause a loss in detail due to the heavy processing but it still MAY be usable for 4x6.

In Steve's opinion the high ISO capability does make the 20/30s usable in living rooms. I'd add that the statement is valid when your subjects will stay still for you. if they are moving you still won't have enough shutter speed. Also, different people light their living rooms at different levels. If it is bright enough to read a newspaper then you can probably get a good percentage of the shots. The focus assist lamp on both cameras will improve focus.

Night street scenes w/o flash will be most successful with a tripod but with that caveat should be easily within the capabilities of both those cameras.

If your shooting situations are more demanding than what I've described then you really need to leave P&S cameras and move to DSLRs to gain better performance at high ISOs, faster lenses and IS. IS on P&S cameras is useful but the lenses are not fast enough nor is the high ISO capability good enough to really be good low light cameras.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:45 PM   #6

Is the Fuji f40fd would be a good replacement?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:44 PM   #7

Haven't seen any reviews on that camera. Looking at the spec. sheet ithas ISO performancesimilar to the F20 but with more MP. That's still a little short of the ISO capability of the F30.