Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2007, 3:38 PM   #1

I am looking at the Fuji s6000fd and the Canon S3IS any input on these? I had a Olumpus C2100 for 5 years that I really liked and replaced it with a Canon Sd600 which is a real nice camera but Ilikea view finder rather than an LCD. I do like the zoom ring on the Fuji, a little more precise than a button, and the bigger LCD and there are also other things I like on the Canon. Any input would be great.
vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:00 PM   #2

vett,

You're going to get opinions from both camps here, because everyone thinks their camera is the best. Simply comparing features, The Fuji has the following advantages: a larger sensor (1/1.7" vs. 1/2.5"), higher ISO capability (3200 vs. 800), a wider angle zoom (28mm vs. 36mm), a more powerful flash (8.3m vs. 5.2m), RAW capability, a larger and higher resolution LCD (2.5", 235,000 pixels vs. 2.0", 115,000 pixels), face detection, a manual zoom ring and a manual focus ring. The Canon has the following advantages: a higher top end zoom (432mm vs. 300mm), IS, stereo sound when recording video, a flip-out and twist LCD, smaller and lighter.

Which is best for you really depends on your intended usage. From a performance standpoint, if you intend to take a lot of available light photos without flash, the S6000FD is considerably better, as it will be less affected by noise. There are several side by side comparisons around, such as this one...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...00fd/page6.asp

If you intend to take pictures of small objects at long range, the S3 would be better, since it has more reach in its zoom, as well as IS. The Canon's video mode is supposed to be one of the best around, but I suspect that its low light video performance would be no better than its low light still photo performance in the higher ISO range. Also, if camera size is a factor, the S3 is considerably smaller and lighter than the Fuji.

The best advice I can give you is to review the features of both cameras against your intended use, then go to a camera store and play around with both and see how they feel in your hands.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:25 PM   #3

Thanks for your help I think I will go with the Fuji, at this time now I keep switching back and forth because I have never owned a fuji and I know that Canon is good.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 2:02 AM   #4

The Fuji wins out for the following reasons, IMO:

Better low-light performance, up to ISO 3200, which the Canon can't touch. To be fair, theS3 does have IS, which the S6000fd lacks.

Lower noise than the Canon, especially at higher ISO.

Higher-resolution EVF and larger LCD, although it's fixed versus the Canon's tilt-and-swivel design.

Manual zoom lens is MUCH more responsive and satisfying.

Effective face-detection mode.

DV-like video performance.

Very quick operation, much faster than the S3.

DSLR-like handling with excellent control layout.

Good luck with your decision.:-)

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 2:12 PM   #5

OK I did it, got the fuji S6000FD at a good price 252.00 Thanks for everyone's help.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:39 PM   #6

252.00.......dollars??? That's gotta be one of those too good to be true prices! If you didn't buy it used, how about posting a link for the rest of us?

the Hun

Old Apr 23, 2007, 6:43 AM   #7

I just ordered it from Beach camera yesterday for 302.00 and it has a 50.00 rebate also buydig.com has it for 301. buydig and beach are the same company. I have ordered my last 4 cameras from Beach with excelent service I get them the next day.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:06 AM   #8

OK - didn't know there was a rebate in effect. I was concerned that maybe you ordered your camera from one of those online dealers that inhabits the dark side of the retail world...Beach is fine.

Good luck with your new camera.

the Hun