Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:17 PM   #1

I don't know about some of you but I'm jumping at the chance to find out any details of the Nikon D200x or Canon 40D. When they are coming out (I'm assuming both will be out this year). And what new improvements they will include. But sometime tells me we'll have to wait till the Fall. As that is usually when they start releasing new models. It's going to be a long few months for guys like me.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:57 AM   #2

I assume that you currently don't have a DSLR because it doesn't seem that you are tied to either Canon of Nikon because of lens ownership.

I wonder that the current cameras don't do that you wish they did. If the new bodies ARE released as you think, they will be at premium pricing for the first several months. I think both the 30D and the D200 are exceptional camera bodies. The better deal may well be the old models. If I was an owner of either of these cameras, I would doubt that the new features would be enough for me to upgrade.

To grow in photograph, you need a camera in hand taking photos. Choose a body and a system that meets your current needs. There will always be rumors of newer and greater models to be released in the future. Truth is the pace of advance is less than the hype. I'd recommend choosing from the current offerings so you can get out there and take some pics.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:56 PM   #3

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
I assume that you currently don't have a DSLR because it doesn't seem that you are tied to either Canon of Nikon because of lens ownership.

I wonder that the current cameras don't do that you wish they did. If the new bodies ARE released as you think, they will be at premium pricing for the first several months. I think both the 30D and the D200 are exceptional camera bodies. The better deal may well be the old models. If I was an owner of either of these cameras, I would doubt that the new features would be enough for me to upgrade.

To grow in photograph, you need a camera in hand taking photos. Choose a body and a system that meets your current needs. There will always be rumors of newer and greater models to be released in the future. Truth is the pace of advance is less than the hype. I'd recommend choosing from the current offerings so you can get out there and take some pics.
No I don't have a DSLR yet. But I do have a dgitial camera that has P/A/S/M modes. And yes I've been shooting. I'm just looking to buy my first DSLR as I'm ready for some flexibility. So I can definitely wait for the "D200x" or the "40D".

But I do agree...the current D200 and 30D are great cameras. If I NEEDED a DSLR now I'd buy the D200 over the 30D. For it's ergonomics and it's ISO Auto range. That and I think the D200 is just a better thoughtout and built DSLR.

Only thing that bothers me though is that it's "made in Thailand". I'm biased to things made in the land of the rising sun. What can I say? Though being that the D200 is made in Thailand and probably the upcoming D200x...it's not a deal breaker for me at all. It would just be a bonus if it were "made in Japan" as the Canons are.

Any how, for now guys like me will just have to sit on our hands and wait for details to accidentally leak out. Come on Canon!! Nikon!!!

Btw...I've been a Nikonian since the early 80's.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:59 PM   #4

I agree with fldspringer and would just add that digital cameras a much like computers: a better/faster/newer/... version will apear exactly 5 minutes after the time for a no-questions-asked return runs out. Doesn't matter when you get it.

Get a camera and start shooting.

(Though it will be interesting to see how long it takes Canikon to produce versions with in body antishake.)
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:53 AM   #5

I gave up on ther ever being a Canon 40D before the 12th of never :roll:
(The 30D is geting sort of aged and not even an update thing like the Mark versions of the 1D)

And that alone was one of the prime things than made me decide to ditch Canon when looking to replace my old Rebel 300D, and jump on the Pentax K10D.... and no regrets.

As (in some ways more) capable as the C-30D and several hundreds less, plus a plethora of inexpensive quality used lenses (pretty much any ever made for Pentax) usable with it and even the most antique Manual lens will still be image stabilized, not just the newest most expensive...

Plus being in a marine/sea environment the weather sealing is a big plus.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:06 AM   #6

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
(The 30D is geting sort of aged and not even an update thing like the Mark versions of the 1D)

And that alone was one of the prime things than made me decide to ditch Canon when looking to replace my old Rebel 300D, and jump on the Pentax K10D.... and no regrets.
The 30D has been on the streets for about a year now. Goes to show how quickly things get "sort of aged" in the DSLR market now days. It also shows how impatient shutter bugs can be and how they can get sucked into the manufacturers hype.

I don't own Canon, but the 30D is a very capable platform.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:36 AM   #7

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
Hayward wrote:
Quote:

The 30D has been on the streets for about a year now. Goes to show how quickly things get "sort of aged" in the DSLR market now days. It also shows how impatient shutter bugs can be and how they can get sucked into the manufacturers hype.

I don't own Canon, but the 30D is a very capable platform.
As good as the Canon 30D is it showed it's signs of age from the day it debuted. As barely an upgrade to the 20D. I recall reading about how people were expecting a major upgrade with landmark features. And how disappointed they were when the 30D came to market. That it should just have been called "20DII" And it didn't help matters that the Nikon D200, a significantly better camera pound for pound (IMHO), would debut at around the same time.

If I NEEDED a new DSLR this weekend I'd run out and pickup a D200. No question. No hesitation. But I don't as I already have a good P&S that has most of the functionality of a DSLR (e.g. P/A/S/M modes...also has a 12x optical zoom). So, I can wait for either the Nikon D200x or Canon 40D. Just wished they would come to market already.