Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:53 PM   #1

I was in a store today and was told by the salesman the fastest point and shoot zoom or any of the dig cameras was the Sony.

He stated they had less lag and faster burst
(I think that is what it is called when you take one shot after another) than any on the market.

I still have not chosen a camera as yet. I am saving my money to make sure I am not unhappy.

Also, on the Sony H2, I have looked at two of them and noticed they would not focus using the viewfinder. Is there something that has to be turned as on the Canon 3IS to focus.

I am waiting to see what the New Canon TK1 reviews are like. I don't want to spend that much money, but if I have to I will. Thanks - gle
gle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:56 PM   #2

I'll take on the second question. None of the eye-level viewfinders (EVL) natively have enough resolution to focus. Some of that class of camera attempt to aleviate the problem by magnifying the central portion of the image by 5x to get enough detail to focus.

As far as shutter lag goes the Sonys are not significantly different from their competitors.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:58 AM   #3

[align=left]I looked at Canon 3IS and there is a little knob to the left of the viewfinder which could be used to focus. My wife and I both used it and at full zoom it brought the letters across the store into focus. - gle
[/align]
gle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 1:32 AM   #4

Gle56,
I suggest you look at the Sony cameras again as they also have a diopter adjustment knob under the viewfinder.
When you first buy the camera you set this adjustment to your eye and then you never have to change it again. It is my guess that this was out of adjustment on the cameras you looked at.

Both the H2 and H5 have a high resolution, .2" electronic viewfinder with 201K pixels. All information that can be displayed on the LCD is also displayed in the EVF, even the live histogram, and the image appears bright and clear.

My H5 focuses very well, even in relatively low light without the focus assist light. Besides (and I could be wrong) but I didn't think the camera's auto focus mechanism had anything to do with the EVF or the LCD.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:53 PM   #5

Ah! Viewfinder focus vs. lens focus. I have never encountered a fixed focus viewfinder that I couldn't see through clearly but every adjustable viewfinder I've encountered in a store is out of focus.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote