Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:19 AM   #1

Good morning, i need your help to define if i buy or not this FX50. I'm looking for a compact digital camera, with 3" LCD, 28mm Lens, small delay, etc... But with good image quality for a non professional. My real interest is to take pics of my baby, that will born on july, i wait for your HELP.
poubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:13 AM   #2

Poubel,

Which part of your post is more important to you?

"I'm looking for a compact digital camera, with 3" LCD, 28mm Lens, small delay, etc... "

...or...

"My real interest is to take pics of my baby, that will born on july..."

The first part severely limits your choices...there are probably only 4 recent camera models available that have a 3" LCD and a 28mm lens. You don't need a compact camera, a 3" LCD, or a 28mm lens to take pictures of a baby. There may be other reasons you selected this particular model, or these features that you're not telling us about.

It would be nice to have a camera that takes good quality pictures indoors (without flash), since it's not a good idea to be flashing bright lights in a newborn's eyes. Since the Panasonics are not well known for noise-free available light pictures, you might want to consider expanding your search by backing off the 3" LCD and 28mm requirements. If you must stay with those requirements, consider the TZ-3...at least it is a more current model.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:13 PM   #3

Thank you very much. Indeed i have a canon s60, and i love the 28mm lens, so i´m looking for a compact camera with this item. And i 'd love to have a 3'' lcd, to use outside, in sun light. But, now my real interest is take good photos of my baby that is cooming soon. Off course that i'd love to get all together...

What do you suggest? I really prefer a compact camera because i think my canon s60 a bit heavy and not enough compact.

Thank you very much for your attention. I wait for your suggests.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:57 PM   #4

What about the Fuji FinePix F31d? No, it doesn't meet several of your criteria, but I think it would be very good for taking pictures of a baby indoors. I imagine that for the first 6 months or so, most pictures of the baby will be taken indoors. That camera excels at that. Shutter lag is short and its low noise at high ISO levels is outstanding. I suggest at least checking out the reviews for this camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:03 PM   #5

While you're at it, how about a car that drives like a formula 1 car, but holds 7 people? If this is your first baby which sounds likely, you'll be taking lots of pictures and videos of your firstborn. The TZ-3 is is great for all your features, but as the Hun said babies don't like bright lights. Your best bet is a Fuji F31fd or F20 (currently being cleared out for the F40fd). No flashes for your baby and lowlight video to boot. Which comes first, your desires, or your first kid's well-being?
Deadzone1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 9:49 PM   #6

So, if i understand de FX50 is not good enough for my purposes.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:22 PM   #7

I don't know exactly what image quality will satisfy you. It just seems to me that you have put forth some specs which some very good compact cameras don't meet. However, these other cameras (such as the F31d or the F20) could quite possibly take better pictures. Frankly, if my main focus were taking pictures of a baby, I would not worry so much about having28 mm (instead of 35 - 38 mm) unless the baby were extraordinarily large and I wanted to take pictures from very close up.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:50 PM   #8

Thank you. I think i'll use my Canon s60 a bit more, before purchasing a new camera. Honestly,the Fujifilm f31d is not my goal.