Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:41 PM   #1

Looking for ultra-ultracompact digital or better! I would exclude anything larger than a Canon SD1000. Anything smaller/thinner is a plus.
  • Mainly used for vacation and party (indoor/flash) pics. Needs decent macro function for pics of golfclubs that I sometimes sell (infrequent, but it happens) and buyers like at least decent pics (showing use/abuse of clubs) of what they may buy. [/*]
  • Needs decent video/movie function as our golf group sometimes take videos/movies of our golf swings (again infrequent, but it happens. Would I need lots of memory for this? Which format is better?). [/*]
  • The simpler (ease of use) the camera the better. [/*]
  • Would be looking for slightly better than average pic quality (against comparable models) if possible. [/*]
  • IS would be nice I guess and it sounds great, but I don't know how important it is. [/*]
  • I also like the "feel" of nice controls and buttons placed where they should be placed. [/*]
  • I also like ease of downloading to the computer and if it needs any special software to download pics then forget it. I would prefer and almost expect that I plug the end of a cable into the camera and the other end into the computer, press a button and download. I would prefer to stay away from "docking stations/bases" if at all possible. [/*]
  • Don't need anything more or less than 2.5 LCD and high res (the SD1000 has a really nice, quality LCD) and even a viewfinder (I guess that might be useful). [/*]
  • I doubt if I would ever need anything larger than a 4x6 print pic. [/*]
Currently, I am looking at the Olympus 760(IS) and the Canon SD1000 (no IS). I haven't heard anything great about the Casio series although some are really small and thin . I'm not sure about Sony. Panasonic seems difficult to find (not sure if they have any models this compact). My local camera shop isn't recommending Casio or Sony (not exactly sure why). Fuji's may be a possibility. No Nikons - tried and didn't like. I realize these are just brands and then there would be specific models to choose...yikes! I never realized purchasing a camera could be so difficult! 35mm 28 mm, sensor size(?), ISO (high ISO speeds and then you read and find out there is too much noise at the high speeds anyway!), true IS versus higher ISO stabilization, etc. etc., good grief. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Now that I read what I've written and what I am asking for, perhaps I to am asking for way too much? If so, let me know and help me get somewhat close. Oh, and if you can't tell, I hate "buyer's remorse".

Thanks,

p
paulpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2

Given what you've said about your requirements, you might want to take a look at the Canon SD800IS. It's a very fine little camera with opitical image stabilization and a decent zoom that goes from moderate wide angle (28mm equivalent), which is very nice for interior shots and landscapes, out to barely adquate telephoto (but with a 7 meg sensor you can crop later to "zoom" in closer)... And it's a lovely little piece of equipment that should fit your ergonomic requirements.

As for Panasonic, I've never had any problem finding them, and they make some very nice cameras. Personally in the subcompact line I prefer the Canons simply because they've managed to provide an optical viewfinder, which is sometimes very nice to have. The Panasonic subcompacts rely entirely on the LCD for composition...

You asked how important image stabilization is. Answer: anywhere from very (especially if you like to shoot available light under marginal conditions) out to trivial (if you only shoot daylight, or action, or use flash all the time anyway)... But itcan buy you 2-3 stops, allowing you to handhold shots easily at 1/30 or less.
dpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:06 PM   #3

dpotter,

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I almost just bought the SD1000 today because I do like it and it was on sale for $249 and a free $20 sd card. However, I saw a new Nikon, the S50 which is sweet. It even has optical VR (IS) for $300. I found there are a few Nikon models just coming out, the other that might work for me is the S500 which also has VR (IS). These cameras seemed packed with the latest featuresincluding high-quality. I haven't been able to find any reviews on any of these yet, so I guess I'll keep my purchase on hold. The one thing that I'm afraid of about the Nikon is that the flash is near the lens (S50) and sometimes dust, etc. gets' picked up by the flash causing white spots on the pics. I have a friend that has one and this has happened to her on occasion. There are also plenty of complaints about it in various user reviews on the web. I'm still thinking of the SD1000, esp for the price. Any thoughts on the new Nikons or Nikons in general?

Thanks,

p
paulpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:31 AM   #4

The only things I can say about Nikon is that it shares with Canon the reputation of being generally about as good as you can get in any given camera category. I have no personal experience with them -- my own experience is limited to Canon and Panasonic and both have met or surpassed both my requirements and my expectations. I would expect Nikon to do the same.

If money is important, however, the Panasonic line is often the value leader -- I suspect because they don't have the same reputation as Canon and Nikon so they have to compete on price. But hey, Leica optics, Panasonic electronics and ergonomics... I bought my FZ7 a month or so ago for $227. Couldn't touch anything comparable for less than $300 or so.

Re flash near the lens -- kinda goes with the subcompact territory. Don't know why the Nikon would be any worse in this respect than any other subcompact.
dpotter is offline   Reply With Quote