Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:46 PM   #1

I'm trying to buy my first DSLR and i'm torn between the Fuji S2 Pro and the Fuji S3 Pro. Is there THAT big a difference between the two? What should i get?
bayoublog.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:52 PM   #2

Yes there's a significant difference. The S2 Pro model is 5 years old at this point. The S3 is 2.5 years old. The current model is the S5 pro.

There have been alot of advances over the years. The newer cameras will be noticeably better in most respects. Modern hardware (such as better displays, and USB 2.0), faster performance, better features. And, Fuji has improved quite a bit in sensor and image processing technology over the last 5 years.

Obviously, there are significant differences in price as well. I can understand that the new model at near $1900 might be out of your price range. The S3 for under $1000 might be more affordable, and the S2 can likely be found for under $500.

Which is worth it depends on your budget and needs. Modern entry level models available for under $500 would outperform the S2 in many ways. But they would also have lesser build quality and less professional controls. If speed isn't important at all, and you would rather be shooting the D100 style body, the S2 might still give you good results for that price. It does seem the S5 is a bigger upgrade over the S3 than the S3 was over the S2.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:28 PM   #3

Speed isn't the important thing here, color depth, sharpness, and breathtaking results are. As i understand it, the Fuji S PRO series has the best color depth in the market today, now i may be wrong on that, so if i am please tell me. I take pics of people in bars and clubs, very low light situations, and i heard that Fuji does that really well. I've also been looking at a Nikon D80. How would one stack up against say a Fuji S3PRO?
bayoublog.net is offline   Reply With Quote