Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 24, 2007, 6:12 AM   #1

Is there such a thing as a good quality point and shoot.
It's for a fiend who is a good photographer, but often ends up with the wrong camera settings, by just pressing too many buttons and then getting mightily frustrated.
She's an artist, not a geek.

So the basic spec would be, optical viewfinder, 3x zoom and 5M pixel.

After that make it as fully automatic as possible, just like P&S film cameras used to be. So that you can't accidentally leave it in macro mode, set at 50ASA, with +2.0 exposure compensation, or even just switched out of Auto mode.

Suggestions please.
folkbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2007, 8:30 AM   #2

They don't make a completely foolproof camera other than maybe something that comes on a keychain. Most have buttons always hot to shift EV and change things like focus, metering and flash modes.

Most cameras can be set to return everything to default when it is cycled off and back on.

Take a look at the Canon SD700 or SD800.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:19 AM   #3

What size and price are you looking for? There's a bevy of cameras that seem to fit the need here.

I noticed you said the camera is for a " ...a fiend who is a good photographer," so why are you helping her out?! :blah:

Seriously, can't you just tell her not to press any buttons?
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:03 PM   #4

There are lots of good point and shoot cameras out there. If your friend doesn't really care how the camera works, I'd suggest Kodak. Both of my sisters and my wife use Kodak (as do I on occasion) and they find the menus and buttons fairly intuitive, and they get nice picture with minimal user intervention.

I think they all take good shots, but I'm not as fond of the C-series cameras as they seem a little more cheaply made. The V-series cameras are nice and small.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:59 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Artists need control not P&S.

My friends of similar type have always used Canon G5, G6, G7.

The buttons are not fiddly and you will not move them accidentally, if you set it to a particular mode it stays there.

I recommend the Canon G7.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:50 AM   #6

Fiend is close enough.

I've just looked at my old G5 and it's got more than 15 buttons!
The point is that she has an eye for a photo and gets plenty published, but just can't remember to check all the settings before taking a picture.

For example she currently uses a Fuji somethingorother and the macro selector is on the same button as zoom.

The best bet so far looks to be a Kodak.
folkbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:43 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Mostdigital cameras have buttons, the G7 isn't fiddly and you wont change to the macro setting by accident.

On the other hand she may be better off with something like the Ricoh GRDigital, or the new Sigma DP1 - both have the equivalent of a 28mm lens - no zoom.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVEN...173400237.html

Sounds like they might suit her very well.

Or if you are willing to go up in price a lot she should probably be using an Epson RD1 or Leica M8.

Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:07 AM   #8

There's a good number of simple-to-use cameras listed in the "Best Cameras" section of this site -- http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html. I suggest you browse through the ones toward the bottom of of the page -- there's a 5 meg section, and an entry-level section...

Of course if the fiend really can't avoid switching it out of auto mode... Hmm, maybe put a piece of tape over the dial? Seriously, there's not a camera on the market that would be good for much of anything other than a paperweight that doesn't have some controls, and even the most fiendish :evil:can master them easily. At the very least it must have an on-off control, which allows for the possibility of inadvertently turning it off...

Personally I'd suggest looking at the entry-level Canon A series. But that's just me...

dpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Fiend is close enough. I've just looked at my old G5 and it's got more than 15 buttons! The point is that she has an eye for a photo and gets plenty published, but just can't remember to check all the settings before taking a picture. For example she currently uses a Fuji somethingorother and the macro selector is on the same button as zoom. The best bet so far looks to be a Kodak.
I hope you realized I was j/k about "fiend," it's a common enough typo and I simply found it humorous in this situation...

I see your point now about the buttons - many digicams have a larger "button" that actually toggles 4 ways, so if you press the wrong edge of the button you get an undesired setting.

Perhaps the Kodak C875 fits the bill. It has a sharp lens, robust color, 2.5" LCD, and 8 mp resolution. It also has an interesting "Auto" mode: the camera analyzes the object/scene before it, and automatically selects the appropriate scene mode (portraint, landscape, etc). Pretty neat feature that actaully works. The 2 points against the C875 are overly-aggressive noise reduction and sometimes blows the highlights. But overall, it's a simple, inexpensive camera that produces very pleasing photos.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote