Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:18 AM   #1

I will be traveling with this camera and be taking mainly Landscape and Architecture photos. So what is better for houses, with naturally lit interiors/exteriors. I am new to the DSLR world and want the best camera for my money.

Cheers.
Lens Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:03 PM   #2

On a budget, I'd say the K100D has the advantage. It has built-in stabilization which enables you to use slower shutter speeds, and there is a wide variety of used lenses available for it at reasonable prices. They're mostly manual focus, but for your kind of shooting that probably isn't a big deal.

I would suggest that you shoot RAW though. The K100D has weaker JPG processing than the Nikon, so shooting RAW and processing them through Photoshop or some other program will yield sharper results and help correct for inaccurate white balance.

However, if you'll mostly be using a tripod, don't want to process RAW files, and would rather just use one or two zoom lenses rather than a variety of zooms and primes, you might find the Nikon to be a simpler solution.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:34 PM   #3

However, if you'll mostly be using a tripod, don't want to process RAW files, and would rather just use one or two zoom lenses rather than a variety of zooms and primes, you might find the Nikon to be a simpler solution.

this is a remarkI don't quite get? How will buying a D40 alianate you from primes? Sure they will be manual focus, but so will the year old used ones for pentax? I would say the nikon lens lineup is quite big enough.. ( if i have misunderstood something plz let me know ):-)

Actually i agree with most of your post, and i just stumpled on some details that seemed a bit unclear.:blah:

I would choose the K100D over the D40 as well. If indeed nikon chooses to leave the incamerahousefocusenginemarket alltogether I will probably be switching platform as well.

monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:14 PM   #4

My point wasn't that you'd never use a prime on a D40, it was that if you were only going to use a couple zoom lenses then the K100D doesn't offer a specific advantage in that regard. Some people can get by with 1 or 2 zoom lenses, and if that's what you want to do the Nikon's lenses are likely better quality than the Pentax offerings.

Also, the primes may be MF for the Nikon, but you still have to pay for AF. It would be rather silly to buy a camera that doesn't support AF on a wide variety of lenses just to go and buy those lenses.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:40 AM   #5

http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses

some of the lenses for pentax.

While the K100 D has IS in the body, every lens is IS when using a k100D. Also the K100D has a Weather Sealed body.

So choose something based on ur requirement. In case of lens variety Canon has the largest variety. U shud also look at canon Xti around 700 dollors.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:29 AM   #6

The lens choices for the Nikon D40 are limited, because it doesn't have an internal motor for auto-focusing.

Also, thePentax has Shake Reduction in the body, while the Nikon only has it in the individual lenses.

Either is a good choice.

Have you handled either of them?

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:58 AM   #7

i have ahndled the pentax k100D. IT feels almost the same as D40. I felt it was abit chunkier and felt more like holding something solid.(guess the stainless steel chasis works good here)

also another thing to consider is K100D will take AA size batteries which for me is very useful when ur outside and u cannot charge ur batteries..

Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:05 PM   #8

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
i have ahndled the pentax k100D. IT feels almost the same as D40. I felt it was abit chunkier and felt more like holding something solid.(guess the stainless steel chasis works good here)

also another thing to consider is K100D will take AA size batteries which for me is very useful when ur outside and u cannot charge ur batteries.
While rechargeable batteries are more envoronmentally friendly than throwing away 2 AA batteries whenever you're done with them, there's a lot to be said for being able to use AAs even if you have spare rechargeable batteries and multiple chargers.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 1:39 PM   #9

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
While the K100 D has IS in the body, every lens is IS when using a k100D. Also the K100D has a Weather Sealed body.
Actually, the K10D has a weather sealed body, not the K100D.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 2:42 PM   #10

My Bad

sorry abt the wrong info..its the K10D which is weather resistant.