Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2007, 2:43 AM   #1

This is my dilemma... I am a newbie to SLR shooting, and wanted an entry-level camera. I chose Nikon over Canon because the XT has too small a screen and feels uncomfortable. The XTi was a little beyond my initial budget. I decided on a D40 because I felt that it was a good camera for the price, and something I could grow out of without too much loss if I really got into shooting, but would be a nice camera otherwise. Iknow about the AF-S restrictions, but felt that I wouldn't be moving too far beyond what's offered with AF-S, so I thought it would be okay.

Then I stopped by a local store and found they had a display model (on the shelf since January) D70s with the Nikkor 18-70 lens available for $650. From what I've been reading and after talking with a couple of people, this is a pretty decent deal. The lens is better and would be something that I could use in the future. The body is well-respected and something that I could unload in the future for probably more than I could get for a D40 body. The drawback for me is the fact that the D70s is 2 years old by design, the extra $100 (which I could use for accessories), the ~slightly smaller viewfinder~, and the 2.0 LCD vs. the 2.5 on the D40... Also, the D70s takes CF vs. SD cards, and I have some SD's I could use for the D40.

If you have thoughts and opinions, I'd appreciate them.
shc32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:55 AM   #2

The D70s is a fine camera, and doesn't have the limitations of the D40. For $100, I'd say jump on it before they run out of them or change their minds.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:43 PM   #3

Well, I own a D-70 , the D-40, and the D-40X. Hands down the JPEG photos right out of the D-40 win. Most are very useable without further pp.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:00 PM   #4

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Hands down the JPEG photos right out of the D-40 win.
That would begood enough for me. If you can live with the lens limitations of the D40, go with that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote