Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:08 PM   #1

Hello all I'm new here

OK here is the deal. I want to buy my first digital camera. I can not afford a high end camera but I want something advanced. I currently shoot with Nikon 35mm equiptment but all my lenses are older manual focus lenses so I don't think there is any real advantage to getting a DSLR at this time. I have been looking at the fuji s9100 but I'm not sure what else is out there for about the same money. Any input is hepfull.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2

How much $$ do antipicate paying for the S9100? The reason I ask is because a DSLR such as the Nikon D40 and Pentax K100D - both with kit lens - may be less than $100 more than the S9100. Of course you would lose the ability to record video and have no extended zoom, but you could purchase a zoom lens later and then have equipment that will surely net you better-quality photos.

Any particular reason you specify the S9100? The S6000fd (which I have) is possibly a better deal, unless you need the hotshoe capability. You should be able to find it online for around $300-ish.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:52 PM   #3

I'm looking at $300 - $500 The Dslr or not to Dslr debate is a dificult one. If they made an affordable full frame Dslr the debate would be over. I will not be able to afford more lenses for years. I will want to buy a wide angle Aux lens. (I know the quality issues but I have to be realistic about my bugit)

As for why the S9100 over the S6100fd...The s9100 seem to be more of a photographers camera with more exterior rather than menu driven controls. And if I am going to buy a EVF camera I might as well take advantage of the movible LCD. Any yes the hotshoe and PC socket are a plus but that can be worked around. As far as I can tell looking around the price diferance between the two is not segnificant.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:45 AM   #4

Hmm, I guess I'm one of those people who considers the $100 or so price difference "significant".

Checking out B&H, the Fuji S6000fd is $252(!) after rebate. The S9100 is $391.

The S9100 and S6000fd have pretty much the same features, some of them are obviously more readily accessible via the command dial on the S9100

The S6000fd has a newer sensor than the S9100, and seems to do a bit better in low-light/no flash situations.

The S9100 has a better EVF - about 2x the pixels - than the S6000fd.

I wish the S6000fd had a moveable LCD - I loved the articulating LCD on my Canon A620. I do quite like the S6000fd's 2.5" LCD, though.

If you look around online at digicam forums, you can find some lively debates over the respective merits of the S6000fd and S9100.

BTW, if you plan on doing mainly outdoor photography, I wonder if the Panasonic FZ30/50 might be better... it seems to be quite the favorite of birders and the like.

The Sony H7/H9 have recently been released, and perhaps are worth a look.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:31 PM   #5

Thanks flippedgazelle

I own a minolta 7i for a short while. I bought it used and it died a week later. They want as much to fix it as a new s6000fd would cost. But I had fun the week it worked and it curbed some of my fears of owning a EVF camera.