Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2007, 3:54 PM   #11

Great Pics - thanks for posting them.

Do you know how they got the underexposure fixed?
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 9:14 PM   #12

Kelly H wrote:
Quote:
fldspringer,
Thanks for all the info!

Do you have any photos that you have taken with an Olympus that you can share?

Thanks,
Kelly

I'd be glad to. This is when a DSLR rookie took his new camera out for the first time. I was really pleased with the results which were straight from the camera with one of the kit lenses (40-150 f3.5-4.5)

Larger size:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...947&size=o

Even though I love what the camera does, I normally process RAW images because I'm not always as careful about exposure and I often can salvage the shot this way. This was also taken with the 40-150 kit lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...947&size=l

As was this portrait.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...147&size=l

A picture taken with the more expensive 50-200 f2.8-3.8 ($800 lens)

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...588&size=l

And a 100 % crop from the above photo

While you don't HAVE to post process, you can learn alot by doing so and most cameras have the option to store both a jpeg and RAW of each image. That will give you the option of keeping the straight out of the camera shot, but allows you to fine tune if you want to also.

If you want to explore afewhundred more and look at higher resolution, feel free at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/field_springer/

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 10:11 PM   #13

Wow!! Those are some awesome photos! The scene, the colors - I am very impressed!

I'm off to check out the Olympus!:-)

Thank you very much for post them!
Old May 6, 2007, 6:45 PM   #14

Just piping in to say that the shots are wonderful and your dogs are absolutely beautiful!
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 1:54 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Kelly,

I'm sorry to say this, but honestly if you can't get sharp, vibrant and correctly exposed shots from the XTI the problem is not the camera.

You can adjust any of the manufacturers' entry-level DSLR cameras to give highly sharpened over-saturated colours like you get on a P&S.

A DSLR gives you the possibility of better pictures, but with the extra scope also comes the extra control that means that until you climb the learning curve your pictures will probably get worse before they get better.

The shortcomings of the Canon kit lens are hugely exaggerated by fldspringer. At f8-11 its performance is very respectable.

By all means go for Olympus or Nikon or anything else you fancy, there is little to choose between them, but frankly if you can't make it work for you with the Canon the chances are small that any other camera is magically going to make your photos better.

Great photos with zero effort would be nice, but cannot be achieved. The modern P&S cameras can give nice results with no effort, but if you want better results you have to work at it. TANSTAAFL I'm afraid.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 5:58 AM   #16

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Just piping in to say that the shots are wonderful and your dogs are absolutely beautiful!
Very kind of you to say.

Thank you
Old May 7, 2007, 6:35 AM   #17

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Kelly,

The shortcomings of the Canon kit lens are hugely exaggerated by fldspringer. At f8-11 its performance is very respectable.
Any DSLR is capable of making good pics. I stated that in the original post. I believe that Olympus does it out of the box better than many for two reasons. The first is its a camera system designed for digital and has a lens system designed to deliver light to the sensor at near right angles. The second is because they include a decent lens or two to get started with.

The quote I included says alot about the lens Canon includes in the kit. To lecture a new DSLR customer about needing to learn about photography to get decent pics, and follow that up with "Stop down to at least F8 to get respectable results" is problematic. You push your new student into slow shutter speeds, make limiting depth of field impossible, and almost certainly make their new experience less enjoyable.

The Canon kit lens is optical trash and they should respect their new purchasers enough to include a better lens to begin their photographic experience.
Old May 9, 2007, 12:38 PM   #18

Thanks fldspringer. I do want a camera that will give me great - out of the box photos. I don't want to have to manipulate them on Photoshop except for cropping or such.

I assumed that using the Auto setting on the Canon DSLR would give me a good photo and I could learn the other settings as I went along.

Thanks again. I appreciate your input and will post photos when I get my camera.

Kelly
Old May 9, 2007, 1:11 PM   #19

Kelly H wrote:
Quote:
Thanks fldspringer. I do want a camera that will give me great - out of the box photos. I don't want to have to manipulate them on Photoshop except for cropping or such.

I assumed that using the Auto setting on the Canon DSLR would give me a good photo and I could learn the other settings as I went along.

Thanks again. I appreciate your input and will post photos when I get my camera.

Kelly
I don't want to discourage you, but you may be disappointed with any camera you get if you're not willing to do some work. Most dSLRs are designed to have less built-in image "finishing" than P&S type cameras because the manufacturers assume that dSLR users are more advanced and want to have creative control over the results. I'm also an Olympus user and love the results I get, but I shoot raw and don't begrudge the time spent in developing--it's part of the entire photographic process, in my view.
Any of the current crop of dSLRs will give terrific results in the right hands, and will produce trash in the wrong hands. So don't expect perfection out of camera, particularly not until you've had time to really learn the camera and its potential.

For some more Olympus shots (but most involving some degree of pp), you can see my Photobucket site, Peregrinor.
Most of the shots there were taken with the E-300, some of the recent ones with the E-1.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 3:20 PM   #20

Norm,

Thanks for posting. I have been playing with the Xti and I can not get a photo to come out anywhere near as good as yours or fldspringers and definitely not as good as my old p&S. I would have to photoshop all of the ones I took with the Canon because they were too dark. I wouldn't mind some but not all.

Thanks again!

Kelly