Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:43 PM   #1

I have tried the Canon 30D and the Xti. I previously had a Kodak DX7590 which took great pictures but I wanted better...LOL

I did not like the 30D and the Xti is disappointing also. Is there a DSLR that has crisp, vibrantly colored photos out of the camera? I hate to think that I'm going to have to Photoshop every single photo I take.

HELP!!
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:14 PM   #2

With either the Canon or the Nikon (or just about any other DSLR) you can configure the in-camera processing to give you what you want out of the camera.
PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:28 PM   #3

All the DSLRs can be tweaked to look more crips and vibrant (which a more professional user would call a "consumer" look), but DSLRs do tend to make duller, flatter looking images because they are intended for more professional users who want to do their own adjustments.

I'd suggest you try out one of the Olympus cameras. I haven't tried one myself, but I've heard they have a tendency to produce more vibrant looking images out of the camera.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:53 PM   #4

Can you tell me how or direct me toa link that could help me with that?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:54 PM   #5

Any particular Olympus? I will check them out.

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:28 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I would suggest find a dSLR that you find comfortable for your hands, has the expandability that you might want over the next few years (imagine you have $5000 to spend now, which system has the right lenses, flashes etc that you would want to add). Basically you will find you can make all of the dSLRs give the results you want straight out of the camera by upping sharpness and saturation then when you progress you will be able to tweak it for the professional sort of results that most dSLR users want.

Out of curiosity what was it about the Canon's you didn't like so we can suggest the best way to look? Also what sort of thing will you want to be photographing?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 6:42 AM   #7

I have the Olympus E500, and I will agree that Olympus will do very well with straight from the camera JPEG images. There are many factors that make the image, and the answers are sometimes difficult. Factors such as:

Sensor: Different sensors perform differently. Olympus has used Kodak sensors and they do a great job with color. They made a switch to Panasonic sensors beginning with the E330 and continuing with its new E410 and E510 cameras. They also do great, but there is a difference. I can't say I prefer one over the other, but they are different.

Lens. All the current DSLR cameras can take a great pic, but no factor can make as much of a difference as the lens. Part of the reason Olympus makes great pics is because they have no lenses that are poor. Some are better than others, but all do well. You used Canon and there are many lenses available that would better be used as paper weights. The kit lens on the XTi would be such a lens and may be a part of your dissatisfaction with that camera. I'd guess that a better lens would go a long way to making the XTi perform better for you.

Settings. DSLRs have a bunch of them. You are able to control just about anything. Great if you want to control everything, but not so great if you don't get it right. The first thing that jumped into my mind after reading your post was "White Balance". If you (or the camera) get that wrong, the photo is wrong as to the way colors are rendered. That may be what happened to your photos. The setting of the sharpness and color saturation for the in camera processing will go a long ways to getting the photos you want from the camera also.

In addition to these factors, another, "Depth of Field" may come into play. The larger DSLR sensor allows the user to blur foreground and background areas more than the point and shoot cameras. This is true, especially with wide aperture lenses as longer focal lengths (Telephoto).

Olympus started from scratch when it started making DSLRs. They did a ground up re-design. The result was a system designed for digital, from camera through lenses. This is what I believe makes the largest impact on its image quality. That "jump off the photo" impact is one thing I like about Olympus.

Olympus uses smaller sensors that the rest of the manufacturers. It allows for lighter equipment, but has negatives in terms of low light performance and smaller viewfinders. You will need to factor these into your decision also. Olympus is releasing the new E410 as we speak that is reported to do better in low light. The E510 will add in camera stabilization in a couple of months.

Good luck with your decision.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 6:49 AM   #8

Mark1616,
Hello.

The things I did not like about the Canon was the photos were not sharp, crisp and the colors were not true. The Xti has consistently underexposed photos.

I like taking pictures of my family, scenery, our pets and plants.:-)

I would just like to be able to print them without tweaking - other than cropping maybe. Is that asking too much? LOL

Kelly
Old May 1, 2007, 6:53 AM   #9

fldspringer,
Thanks for all the info!

Do you have any photos that you have taken with an Olympus that you can share?

Thanks,
Kelly

Old May 1, 2007, 9:19 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Hi Kelly,

There have been some posts on the under exposure on the XTi but the people who have had this problem have now had it fixed. As for sharpness that could have been down to a bad copy of a lens, not focussed correctly, working at cameras widest aperture on abasic lens,or the in camera sharpening being right down.

Here is a shot I took on Sat. The first one is the full size, the 2nd is 100 crop so you can see individual pixel sharpness straight out of the camera (although slightly reduced due to extra jpg compression to get it on here) and the 3rd is a sharpend version of the 100% crop. I shoot at the 2nd most soft setting so you can make it a lot sharper out of the camera than this. Taken with Canon 30D

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote