Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:15 PM   #1

I have a Pentax istDL, agreat camera but the autofocus in low light is painfully slow.A lotof my photography involves shooting moving subjects with telephoto in poor light. I need a camera with a very responsive AF.

I am considering the Pentax K10 but is the AF any better than the istD?

What other options are open to me?

Price range up to $2000

Thanks in advance for any advice

Andrew
aslatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:33 PM   #2

Compare the review specs on the cameras for AF performance. If Pentax won't do it look at Canon 1st & Nikon 2nd.....do your homework (advice from us, isn't what I would make my decision on).
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:51 PM   #3

What lens(es) are you using with the Pentax? A brighter lens could very well solve your problem for less than the cost of buying into a whole new system. If you live near a good camera store, see if you can try out a fast lens with your camera.

I have the *istD and find that if I can see the subject thru the VF, it can focus on it, unless there is not enough detail. A painted wall in low light is difficult, but a brick wall is easy due to the contrast between mortar and brick.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:06 PM   #4

Brian

I am using the Pentax DA 1.4 - 5.6 / 50-200mmED zoom

Thanks

Andrew
Old May 1, 2007, 12:51 AM   #5

aslatter wrote:
Quote:
Brian

I am using the Pentax DA 1.4 - 5.6 / 50-200mmED zoom
Not to be pedantic, but that's an f4-5.6 lens, not 1.4, and that's part of your problem, as was noted. Try finding a lens that starts farther down (does Pentax have an f2.8?). Just how dark are things? Other than that, you might try borrowing/renting a Canon or Nikon and try it before you buy.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 11:27 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone for your input

Andrew
Old May 2, 2007, 3:29 PM   #7
TDN

I have a DL aswell, and I have to agree, the AF can be really slow. Luckily most of my lenses are manual focus...

The reason it's so slow is because the DL only has 3 AF-points, whereas the other models (ist D, DS, K100D, K110D, K10D) all have 11 AF-points. The DS will focus than the DL, and users of the K100D report that it's even better on the K100D.

Now, if you need a fast focussing telezoom with a large aperture, be ready to break the bank. That goes for any brand. If you have enough cash, you might want to check out the new DA* series of lenses Pentax will release soon.

If you don't have a lot of cash, maybe you can sell the DL and get a cheap DS elsewhere?
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 9:53 PM   #8

Dear TDN

Thanks for your informed response. Wow what do I do now trade up to a K100d or all the way up to a K10D?

The DL is great except for the AF. If the K100D solves that problem why go further?

Sorry only thinking in print.

BTW My Dl is set on spot focus.

Thanks again for your advice.

Andrew
Old May 2, 2007, 11:42 PM   #9

I moved up from a DL to a K100D. The AF is definitely faster. I had a similar debate whether to move up to the K100D or further to the K10D. Unless you need the weather sealing or want to take full advantage of any upcoming DA* lenses, then you probably will be happy with the K100D. Plus, word is that the K100D AF works better in poor light compared to the K10D.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 11:52 PM   #10

Jason

Is that true about the K100D AF working better in low light than the K10? A lot of my stuff is shot in poor light.

What about the question of spot v multipoint focussing and views?

Thanks

Andrew