Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2007, 7:10 AM   #1

I'm looking at the Canon SD1000. I'm a bit confused by what metric to look at for speed between shots though. I think it's FPS (frames per second), but I wanted to check to make sure that I'm not missing anything since one friend is telling me I need to look at "processor speed" and another is telling me that the speed of the memory card is what really matters.

With all that said, and understanding that it's probably a combination of all of the above, if I'm interested in the Canon SD1000, what can I expect in terms of speed between shots? Since the memory card is an add-on I can control, what should I look for in the ideal memory card?

Thanks a bunch!

TivoTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2007, 10:31 AM   #2

I don't have this camera.

If you go to Steve's review of this camera, however, you can see that it is fairly fast for a compact model.

"As usual with Canon models, the SD1000 offers speedy performance for a consumer digicam. Power up until the first image captured measured only 1.3 seconds. Shutter lag, the delay between depressing the shutter button and capturing an image, was almost instantaneous (less than 1/10 of a second) when pre-focused, and 2/10 second including autofocus. In single frame drive mode, the shot to shot delay averaged 1.6 seconds without flash, and between 2.5 and 3.5 seconds with flash depending on subject distance. Using the continuous (burst) mode, I was able to capture 10 Large/SuperFine JPEG images in just 5 seconds, surpassing Canon's claim of 1.7fps. This was also with no full-buffer slowdown. When shooting in burst mode, the LCD only briefly displays the last image captured, making it difficult to follow moving subjects; this is where the optical viewfinder comes in handy. Our tests were done using a Lexar 1GB SD card, Manual mode, Large SuperFine quality, preview off, flash off, and all other settings at default (unless otherwise noted.) Times may vary depending on lighting conditions, camera settings, media, etc."

A camera's "speed" is measured with several criteria:

1. How long do you have to waitafter you turn it on till you can snap a picture?

2. How long does it take to focus (with and without prefocus)?

3. How long do you have to wait after taking a picture before you take another picture (with and without flash)?

4. How fast is the "burst mode" and how long do you have to wait after the buffer is filled before you take another burst?

SD cards (like all memory cards) come in different speeds. The fastest I have seen are rated at 150X. However, it won't make a difference for many/most non-DSLR cameras (especially compacts) whether you use a 50X or a 150X SD card because the camera's processor can't keep up with the faster card. Where you will notice the difference is in the speed of downloading your pictures to your computer.

Anyway, to me, it sounds like the SD1000 is pretty darned fast for a small camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 11:12 AM   #3

Robbo,
Thank you so much for taking the time with that response. It's users like you that make these forums like these so helpful.

From the sounds of it, I should be looking for a 50X SD card. From what I can tell, the only added nuance there is whether to get a regular, Mini or Micro SD card - the smaller ones fitting inside a holder that then fits into the SD slot of the camera.

If I am just going to keep it in my camera, I presume the regular SD should do me fine.

Thanks again.

TivoTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 11:32 AM   #4

SD cards have really dropped in price. You can get a 2 Gig SD card rated at 150X for about $25 shipped from www.newegg.com. Check out www.pricegrabber.com for prices at other places.

But, for everyday shooting, I would imagine that a plain ol' SD card would be enough.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:22 AM   #5

Re memory card speed. In today's cameras, this is not so critical. Digicams usually have internal buffer memory to which the camera first "writes". This is what is critical - the speed of writing to this memory card. After this, the images are then written or transferred to the memory card.

Unless you do "burst" shooting a lot, what you look for in specs is the time for the camera to write to this buffer.

Memory cards today are quite fast already. IMHO, no need to pay extra for ultra fast memory cards when you are using P&S digicams.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote