Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2007, 10:50 AM   #1

:?hi,
i presently own nikon n55 and happy to used with it. but,i decided to upgrade from
film SLR to digital camera for further development of my
photography skills. i have done some researches to find good digital camera for mine.
at last,i am very much confused to select between super zoom camera and DSLR.

i found some prosumer camera`s for my favourites and for my budget are,

super zoom camera`s,
1.fuji s6000fd
2.panasonic fz30
3.panasonic fz50

the most common reason for selecting those models are,manual zoom,manual focus,
zoom range.

the other prosumer models i dislike because of no manual zoom mode.

i am very much confused to select between those camera`s because of following reasons

1.for fuji s6000fd ,no optical image stablization and EVF.
2.for panasonic fz30,noise in all ISO settings,
3.for panasonic fz50,noise in above 200 ISO settings and high price.

my favourite interests are outdoor portrait pictures without flash.
and also i dont bother about high pixels.my maximum print size is 8*10 or 6*8.
and also for my favourite, around 28 to 125-200mm(35mm) is enough or
more i will happy.

if OIS will not be a main factor for me,i would go with fuji s6000fd. other wise i would
consider panasonic`s. or DSLR. i dont know how well the OIS will work and also i dont have
an opertunity to check the models directly in show rooms. but slightly i have some confidence
of using the camera without OIS.

the main factor i would also consider for DSLR is optical view finder which is more useful
and brighter and bigger than prosumer EVF models.

i am bit afraid to buy a DSLR because of dust problems(i am living in india) and slightly
pricey for my budget.

for DSLR, i choose some models as per my budget.
1.nikon d70.
2.nikon d50.
3.canon 300d.

please help, and find best for my favourite in terms of price vs performance ratio also.
and i would like expect more useful view finder like nikon n55.

thanks
suresh babu
subabu2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2007, 11:22 AM   #2

Unless there's a truly complelling reason for you to NEED a DSLR, I would stick with one of your super zoom choices.

I've been a dedicated DSLR shooter for 3 1/2 years now and I am in the process of "moving down" to the super zoom class for a couple of reasons.

1. I am no pro shooter with a need for super-priced, super fast,super expensive or even moderately expensivelenses. What owning a DSLR s"system" can turn out to be is a downright dibilitating spendinghabit. No matter what you've got, you always think you need the next best thing, and in reality, most of us don't.

2. I am tired of hauling around heavy outfits, and any DSLR outfit, beginner, intermediate or pro,will be heavy in comparison to one of the super zoom cameras you've listed. Once you actually use one of these all-in-one super zoom digicams (at least for me), it brought me back to earth.

I have just invested in the Panasonic FZ50. I already have an Olympus FL50 flash that works with the FZ50 and I've picked up the Panasonic wide apator that takes the zoom down to a 35mm equivalent of 24.5mm....that's wide enough for me, and Panasonic's image stabilization works great. This system does everything I need a camera to do, and it does it very well. Here are a few examples of how I am now using my FZ50..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2770372#147468576

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2785003#148417876

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2753108#146443687

The ability to mount a separate flash gives you a lot of versatility in terms of lighting quality. With these two, the flash was bounced off the ceiling..

I think you are underestimating the importance of image stabilization. 135mm may be "long enough" for you, but if you buy a camera with a lens that zooms to 30mm...believe me, you WILL use it at 300mm. Fortunately, the Fuji has the best in class high ISO performance, so if you do not have a need to have the ability to have a direct-mount ability for a separate flash, the Fuji is what I would go for if I were you.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 11:40 AM   #3

subabu2002 wrote:
Quote:
i presently own nikon n55 and happy to used with it. but,i decided to upgrade from film SLR to digital camera for further development of my photography skills.
Notwithstanding the good advice from Greg Chappell, digital SLRsare the pinnacle of mass-market digicams. Along with their high cost and complexity comes an abundance of lenses and accessories to help you do EXACTLY what you want, photographically. This can not be said about any other class of digicam. But if your photgraphic goals could be met by a superzoom, you will certainly save a lot of money and spare youself the long learning curve.

But you may already be part of the way toward a dSLR. You say you decided to upgrade from a film SLR. It is possible that the lenses and accessories you've accumulated for that camera migh work with a dSLR as well.

What kind of film SLR do you have?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 12:09 PM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
subabu2002 wrote:
Quote:
i presently own nikon n55 and happy to used with it. but,i decided to upgrade from film SLR to digital camera for further development of my photography skills.
Quote:
Notwithstanding the good advice from Greg Chappell, digital SLRsare the pinnacle of mass-market digicams. Along with their high cost and complexity comes an abundance of lenses and accessories to help you do EXACTLY what you want, photographically. This can not be said about any other class of digicam.
Quote:

In agreement 100%, if the user is both dedicated to both taking the pictures AND THEN doing the necessary post processing work and/or learning theRAW processto get the final output, andhaving the necessary software to make all that happen.

I see more posts by new DSLR owners complaining of "soft" images and "color out of the camera" that's not as vibrant as what they are used to with their digicams...well, DUH!!! Digital SLR's are meant to be owned by those who have a little bit of clue as to what they're doing, and there's lots of people buying them today who, painfullyobviously, do not and would probably be as well or betteroff with a Fuji F31 as they are with a Nikon D40, and it doesn't take a long bit of scanning images on the data bases of PBase to recognizemany entry-level modelDSLR users would be just as well off with a Canon A640.

I have a feeling Suresh has the knowledge, and probably has some Nikkors that could be used on a D70. If he owns a flash, it probably won't be 100% compatible, if at all...Nikon's upgraded their flash units several times, but it sounds from his outline of what he likes to do, there's little need for a flash.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote