Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2007, 11:54 AM   #1

I'm looking into buying a small digicam that can shoot good pictures but can also take good video clips with sound. I have a nice video camera but find that I am always using my camera to capture family moments and that the video feature is great on my camera.

I particularly would like to be able to zoom in and outwhile filming such videos.

Would also like a small pocket size camera if possible.

Any ideas?

I currently have a fuji E550 which I love but I am looking for another camera for my wife that is perhaps smaller with the above features.

Thanks.
joecamerafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2007, 12:00 PM   #2

Look no further than the Canon S3is if video is your main goal. It takes great still pictures too, but nothing beats it for videos with stereo soundand it does allow zooming in and out while making movies.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/page7.asp

Nothing else in the digicam classwill do better movies....nothing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 2:51 PM   #3

Thanks very much for the info. I'm looking for something a little smaller though. I already have a big mini dv cam and the aforementioned fuji E550. I'm looking for something smaller that still delivers the goods. This will be for my wife and we are not looking fora serious prosumer type camera.

Any other suggestions out there of small cameras that allow zoom during video?

Any luck with casio's little cameras? Looks like their ex-v7 (which is too new for a review) will allow zoom during video functions.
Old May 1, 2007, 8:44 PM   #4

Canon's new TX1 will do optical zooming, stereo sound and still pics while recording video, just like the S3. The TX1 is also an ultra zoom and is small.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pstx1/index-rtn-e.html
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 12:33 PM   #5

Wow, the TS1 looks like a very neat little camera that would be exactly what I'm looking for. I think I'll hold out until some reviews (not just press releases) have been done.

Thanks!
Old May 2, 2007, 1:11 PM   #6

Very interesting topic - my father-in-law is also looking for a camera which will allow him to get decent videos. He's a musician (plays at balls, weddings etc.) and is always adding new video clips of his work to upload to his website, but his budget is also limited (like mine) and he'd like an ultra-compact camera. I've found some, but usually I can't find info on whether you can zoom in or out while recording.

If someone can help on this I'd be really grateful.

All the best from Brazil

Marcio
MarcioCampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 3:52 PM   #7

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:04 PM   #8

A few of the Kodak cameras zoom while taking a video. The C875 is one . Ibelieve the new Z712 is another and there are more as well. They have the advantage over Canon that they compress much more than the canon. Typically one gets 30 minutes of video per gigabyte rather than 8 minutes for the canon
prewarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 6:47 PM   #9

The Canons do have good video, but my big issue is the codec used: MJPEG. Only 8 minutes of VGA video per gigabyte(the TX1 only records 3 minutes of video per GB at the highest resolution). I like the Sanyo Xacti CG65, it's an ultra-compact(about the size of a deck of cards) and records video using the latest codec: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 with AAC stereo audio, so you get to record over an hour of great video per GB. It does zoomwhile filming. I posted some samples inmy mini-review. If only Canon was using a more efficient codec for it's video...
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 7:01 PM   #10

I'm with Caelum on this one. I was on the same boat like you before,looking fora camera that can take decent videos and take picture as well. I got the CG6 that records videos on mpeg4 format unlike Caelum's CG65 that uses a higher end format. It's basically the same unit except the video format it records to. I gotthe CG6for $299 at Walmart, i think the CG65 would cost a little morebut canrecord more video on a memory card.

Wheni got mine, at first i was a little disappointed because the image quality of the photos taken werent as good as my old Canon A75 (3yrs old)but is decent as long as you don't compare the pictures takenside by side. Video is very good, especially in daylight, low light is pretty acceptable. My wife wanted me to return it but i decided to hold on to it for awhile.Well the morewe used it,we realizedthe convenience of it's small size, pocketability and form (pistol grip). Wherever, we go, i just grab it and go and take videos of my 5yr old daughter in the park, friend's places..everywhere. I even got a video of my wife's ultrasound ofour next baby. wasn't even planning to but since i havemy camera with me, why not. now my wife can watch it every time if she wants too..which she does everynight.

I just put in a 2GB card (good for approx 1 hr 30 minutes SHQ video) an extra battery and i'm set, not to mention how easy it is to upload in your PC and make DVD movies compared to miniDVs. Overall, weighing both pros and cons, pros unweighs the cons based on the above i mentioned. For me,I think for the money this is the best video/digicam out there.
rrbarcarse is offline   Reply With Quote