Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2007, 11:13 AM   #1

I am a realtor, trying to be able to take interior pics of homes to post on the internet, and to make print flyers. I know I need a wide angle lens to get good interior room shots, but am not sure what I need in a camera. I have decided to upgrade to a digital slr, but after reading reviews and checking prices, I'm leaning towards either the Pentax K100D or the Nikon D-40. I will probably start taking more pics in general if I can figure out how to use the camera. ( I figure this will take a little reading). But my main goal is wide angle room shots. Sometimes, lighting in these homes leaves a lot to be desired as well. Also, if there is anything else in a comparable price range with these 2 cameras that might be better for an amateur, I'd appreciate those opinions as well.

Thanks,

Kara
iamkaramia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2007, 12:06 PM   #2

As cheaper alternatives to DSLR's, I recommend the Fuji FinePix S6000fd and the S9100. They both go to 28mm on the wide angle end. They're decent in low light, especially the S6000fd. The S9100 goes for under $400 online and the S6000fd is about $300. The more expensive S9100 has a hot shoe for external flash units. It has also has dual memory capacity (xD card and CF card) as well as an articulating LCD.

There was a decent Kodak the P880 which went all the way to 24mm wide angle. However, I don't think you can get it now except on Ebay.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 4:18 PM   #3

If you want a DSLR with a wide angle lens, the D40 plus the Sigma 10 - 20 mm lens is a very good combination. It is my first DSLR and is not difficult to use compared to a P&S compact or superzoom. The performance in low light without flash is very good, and images are good straight out of the camera.

Below is a picture without flash in a villa on holiday with the D40 and Sigma lens at 10 mm (15 mm equivalent) to give you some idea of the "width" of view. Bear in mind that you can get distortionwith these wide angle lenses.

Attached Images

1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 10:05 PM   #4

1eye deer-

Congratulations on a really great photo. You very well demonstrate that the Nikon D-40 is a very capable camera, and when equipped with the Sigma 10-20mm lens it becomes really brilliant!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 10:25 PM   #5

If economics are absolutely critical, please take a look at a the Olympus E-500 two lens kit. It is very hard to beat. or the Nikon D-40 with the kit lens and the 55-200mm VR lens. Both are very ecomical alternatives.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 6:34 AM   #6

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
If you want a DSLR with a wide angle lens, the D40 plus the Sigma 10 - 20 mm lens is a very good combination.=
Of course you forgot to mention very COSTLY (More than Cam for the lens)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 5:24 PM   #7

Hayward wrote:

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
If you want a DSLR with a wide angle lens, the D40 plus the Sigma 10 - 20 mm lens is a very good combination.
Of course you forgot to mention very COSTLY (More than Cam for the lens)

Hayward - the OP wants a DSLR with wide angle for indoor situations. I don't know the OP's budget but I paid $1200 (around £620) for the combination of DSLR, kit lens + 10 - 20 mm WA lens. I'm sure he would welcome any other suitable recommendations for the Pentax K100D that gives equivalent or additional capability.
Old May 4, 2007, 5:48 PM   #8

"low budget" and " digital slr" should not be in the same sentance.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 6:03 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
If economics are absolutely critical, please take a look at a the Olympus E-500 two lens kit. It is very hard to beat. or the Nikon D-40 with the kit lens and the 55-200mm VR lens. Both are very ecomical alternatives.

MT/Sarah
If indoor shots are the norm (like the one posted) Oly probably isn't the best choice. The 2x crop factor really works against you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 6:03 PM   #10

tjsnaps wrote:

"low budget" and " digital slr" should not be in the same sentance.

Excuse me for nit picking, but your post was the first to have this forbidden sentence! (This post is the second, and yes I know I'm just a smart arse!)