Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2007, 3:25 PM   #1

Here is what I am looking for:

1.) Good optics
2.) Good sensor (very low noise)
3.) Lens filters (an adaptor is ok)
4.) Optical Image stabilization
5.) Optical zoom more than 5x
6.) More than 6MP
7.) Less than $700 or so.
8.) Movie mode with 24p

It's that last requirement that is causing me consternation...I can't find it anywhere, though I would think it should be easy to include when making a camera.

So currently, I am leaning toward the Canon PowerShot G7 but it's movie mode is 30fps. I'm not sure if that is progressive or interlaced. I am never going to hook it up to any TV so that is not an issue...if it records video in PAL that would be closer than NTSC, but I would prefer any progressive-recording over an interlaced-recording. Do those even exist? When I search for it I just get all video cameras in the results.

Any advice?
pi314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2007, 5:38 AM   #2

BIG SURPRISE ????? :?

There is no such thing as the PERFECT camera.... you need to define your needs and desires.....

And while you sort of did unless you want to spend $10K .... better refine them a bit for REALneeds

ANd forget video ALL together outside the P&S realm.... and even there you have not defined things enough. (vitually all do NTSC and PAL)

Maybe explore the multitude of reviews here, and come back with somme actual SPECIFICS of choice?

And NOT MEANING to beat up on you as a FIRST time poster.... but maybe just look for the VAST info here/investigate before you leap into asking multitude redundant questions????
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 8:54 AM   #3

Concur with Hayward. "Good optics" and "Good sensor" are relative terms and can only dealt with after answering the questions "Good for what?" and "Good compared to what?".

Your #8 bothers me. Why would a manufacturer build in a 24fps video mode? Notice that I call it a "video" mode not "movie" mode. While common parlance often uses the terms interchangeably what is really being done is creating a video and a TV or a closesimulation of a TV system is theassumed output. What generates your requirement?
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 5:37 PM   #4

Sorry for using relative terms but I don't know how to quantify a "good" lens or a "good" sensor.

The G7 covers the objective options 3-7 and I think it covers the subjective options of 1 and 2. It's not as good as an SLR in those respects but size and movie-mode-option are more important to me than a mirror that flips up and down. If no camera meets option 8, then I'll simply get the G7.

I've been slowly looking around since christmas, reading reviews and looking at samples. I posted here because I can't find one that meets that last option--movie modes are not trumpeted in the ads or reviews for still cameras. Even the list of hybrids in this forum doesn't list progressive/interlaced (except two Sanyos at 30i). I was hoping people here might have heard of one that shoots progressive movies that is more of a still camera than a video camera.

ac.smith:
I will always be displaying on a computer, never a TV, so interlacing will look terrible. I chose 24 because that's similar to film (in motion, not color range--I know it's not perfect) and would also be a smaller file size than 30p, which would be fine too.

I suppose I'm looking for the great convergence camera, which apparently doesn't exist yet. Something between the Canon TX1 (or Sanyo VPC-HD2) and the PowerShot G7. Nothing? G7 it is, then.

Thanks anyway.
pi314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 9:13 PM   #5

If that's the criteria virtually every camera in Steve's Best Camera list in the 6-10 MP group and the super-zoom group meet your requirements and all are under $700, most well under that. The G7 is on that list.

I think all of the cameras on those lists also shoot video and save the files in a computer video file format. The G7 saves to .avi files while others save to .mov files. In either case the computer is the intended playback system. There is considerable difference in video capabilities. The G7 can capture at 1024x768 as well as the more common 640x480 and 320x240 which virtually all the cameras can do. On the other hand the G7 appears to record in 3 min. clips whereas some of the others can shoot continuously until the memory card is full. If video performance is important to you read the reviews on the Best Camera list and understand the benefits/limitations of each. The 3 min. limit might be a deal breaker for me since my Z612 can shoot for an hour straight with a 2GB card.

None the less 30 fps is the standard for movie playback on a computer and that's what's easy for everybody..
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 11:21 PM   #6

And again if VIDEO is a PRIME concern don't think of ANYTHING but a P&S because that is the only place it exists. And the go for at least 640x480 (basically SD NTSC) 30fps (real TV frame rate) not hurky jerky lesser fram rates/
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote