Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2007, 2:32 PM   #1

I am a novice but Ibought a Fuji Finepix E900 camera recommended by a professional photographer to replace my Canon S110. I lostthe Fujiand am in the market for a new camera. I want to take good quality family photosand vacation photos.

One thing I didn't like about the Fuji I had was the blurred photosandsmallerLCD. Does getting a camera with image stabilization make a big difference? I would also likea 2.5 LCD and I'm leaning toward a Canon or FUJI again.

I would like to stay under $250 USD. Any ideas on the Canon A710 IS, Canon A570, Fuji A800 or Fuji F30? I am open to othercamerasuggestions.
juliansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2007, 4:43 PM   #2

Before we can answer your question regarding blurry photos, we need to know why the photos were blurry. Was it camera shake? Too slow a shutter speed? Excessive subject movement? Can you post a couple of them here? Then maybe we can offer you some guidance.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 8:47 PM   #3

The blurry photos may have been due to excessive subject movement (photographing a 1 year old) and/or camera shake although the Fuji E900 did give a camera shake warning and I don't recall seeing it come on everytime I took a blurry picture. I don't know when to change the shutter speed and I mostly use the auto feature so I don't know about the other possible causes you mentioned.

I am nowcomparingthe Fuji A800, the Canon A710 IS and the Sony Cyber-Shot W80.
juliansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 9:40 PM   #4

Blurry pics are the result of too slow a shutter speed to freeze the movement of the subject. The faster the subject is moving, the faster the shutter speed required to freeze the action. For example, it would take a much higher shutter speed to freeze a moving baseball than a moving 1-year old. The higher the shutter speed, the less light reaches the sensor, therefore the darker the picture. Opening the aperture permits more light to reach the sensor, therefore permitting higher shutter speeds. Increasing the ISO setting (sensitivity) also permits higher shutter speeds to be used, without darkening the pictures. However, in most of the lower priced consumer digicams, increasing the ISO setting results in very noisy or grainy looking pics. Therefore, acceptable pics are really a combination of proper shutter speed, aperture and ISO selection. This is why I asked you to post a couple of pics...so we could try to determine the cause.

All of the cameras you listed are capable of taking very good pictures. The F30, or it's replacement, the F31 has the best ISO/picture quality combination when taking pics in low light situations.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote