Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2007, 3:35 PM   #1

I'm thinking of upgrading from my Canon S1IS. I was all set to buy the S3IS, when I saw the new Sony Cybershot DSC-H9. Love that big LCD and 15X zoom. From all accounts, the Canon S3 is a solid performer, but the Sony is new and has'nt been very heavily reviewed, plus it's about $170 more expensive. Which would be the better choice and why? Thanks.
Jobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2007, 3:55 PM   #2

I doubt if any are willing tosay why until it has been tested by reputable reviewers. Chect the Sony forum and see if any are using it yet.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:50 AM   #3

Well.. I can share my thoughts in this case.. I was for H9 after reading a description of camera. Then I was waiting for some guys to get it, Nick, for example, in this forum, to get to know more about. Then, as ac.smith has mentioned, started all this hassle around the H9, testing it and sharing results. And, after reading all the contrindicative options, had to try it myself. Because I just couldn't believe that a Sony camera can teake bad photos (I am a tough dsc-V1 user for 3 years).

Then I got to try it myself- found one shop here, in Milano, where they have agreed to get it out of box and to give me for a trial (it seems to me that mostly you have to buy a cat in a sack, without any trial, but it's just my impression). So I got some images, shooted inside the shop and through the door zoomed to the house in opposite side of street. I saw the pics on PC.

My decision is - NO. Image quality is not good enough. I get much better images with V1. I could give a better explanation of my decision, but at the moment it is not important, right?

I have started to look at other cameras, at those I haven't been considering yet. In superzoom category. As I have found out, there are 3 cameras to be considered - Panasonic Lumix FZ50, Fujifilm FinePix S9100 and Canon Powershot S3 IS.

I like FZ50 and this is what I am going to get in 2 weeks. But I am still in doubt, it seems that I ll be able to get a very good offer for Olympus E-330 Double kit, that is goint to cost me almost the same as FZ50.

A dilemma for me - to join the dSLR world with Oly E-330 or to stay with compact digicam.

Oops! I hate writing.. But I couldn't stay silent. There is still a H9 review missing on Steve's.. this made me think too.

DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:21 AM   #4

DigitalGal-

You certainly do an excellent job of describing the situation in which many persons visiting this forum find themselves. With the price of the upcoming Canon S-5 and the Sony H-9 hovering rather close to the price of the lowest level consumer DSLR cameras, many are deciding if they will make the jump to a consumer level DSLR, or if they will stay with a superzoom.

Both the Nikon D-40 and the Canon 350D/XTare attractive due totheir selling price.I would be very interested to hear your comments on the Olympus E-300 which you indicated that you will be testing next.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:38 AM   #5

Sarah..

Sure, I'll tell, what I do think.. whatever I am going to get.. Actually it's E-330.. Depends of price. As far as I have read (and also had a look and hold in hand a bit it today), E-330 looks really good camera. And a double kit should cover my needs for the beginning. There are some issues about hot pixels in certain lighting situations and maybe something else.. but nothing too serious to hold one back getting it with the very good price.

The only bad thing that I have noticed already - I'have to keep my right hand meedle fingers without any nauils.. they are stuffing into a rubber cover of a grip.. :S and I have heard that after a tough use the rubber is coming off.. and I am a tough user - nowhere without a cam..

Have a great weekend! And thank you for the interest.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:48 AM   #6

I believe you made the right move with the H9 DigitalGal, check out this petition that 150 posters have said to Sony about the H9.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=23516441

In the meantime, DCRP has posted some sample S5 images that can be directly compared with the H9. It's clear that Canon has gotten much better results from Sony's sensor than Sony has. See this post from the Sony forum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=23548771

Note: The S5 images are the upper ones, the H9 are the lower. The difference is quite obvious.

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 12:47 PM   #7

DigitalGal-

I stand corrected. So, it is the E-330 instead of the E-300. That way you will have the live view feature. I have under the E-300 a lot and I happen to like the camera a lot, even with it's high ISO limitations.

DigitalGal let us know what you think of the Olympus E-330 when you are able to take some photos with it. That should be interesting. I charged up the battery on my E-300 and fired off a sample photo. The IQ is just as great as it always was.

Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:44 AM   #8

Thanks Sarah for the interest and sharing!

I'll let you know what I think the most probably after 24th June.. When I ll be back from my travel..

Have a great day!