Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2007, 2:56 AM   #1

Though I want a camera that takes good photos, it is equally important that the camera make fairlygood movies. I want to pay less than $250 if possible. What's more, I don't want a Canon as I read thatthe video feature takes up a ton of space on the memory card due to a file formattingoversight of some sort.I heard Sony CyberShot is a nice series. Any recommendations as to a specific model of Sony to get as well as for any other cameras?

John
lenfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2007, 3:10 AM   #2

lenfini wrote:
Quote:
What's more, I don't want a Canon as I read thatthe video feature takes up a ton of space on the memory card due to a file formattingoversight of some sort.

Canon does need a lot of space for video capture, but what I hear is that compressed video from other brands, isn't allways as good. Because of the compression (sometimes way overcompressed) the quality is nice for web video, but not for watching on the TV.

You don't have to buy a Canon, but make sure that video quality of your camera is up to your standard.
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 3:18 AM   #3

How about some more information about what you're taking pictures/movies of?

Will you be taking pictures in low light without a flash?

Do you need a long zoom (5X? 10X? 12X?)

Do you need image stabilization?

How long will the movies that you take be?

Do you want a compact camera or is any size digicam ok?

Do you have a preference for any particular kind of memory card?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 3:23 AM   #4

robbo wrote:
Quote:
How about some more information about what you're taking pictures/movies of?

Will you be taking pictures in low light without a flash?

Do you need a long zoom (5X? 10X? 12X?)

Do you need image stabilization?

How long will the movies that you take be?

Do you want a compact camera or is any size digicam ok?

Do you have a preference for any particular kind of memory card?

I will be recording videos of myself making speechs and playing the guitar. I also want to get some video of my family and get-togethers.

I will usually be taking photos where there is light.

I don't know what kind of zoom I need. I'm a total beginner.

Some of the movies will be well over 10min.

Size is not an object, though I don't think anyone likes a bulky camera for basic use.

I don't even really know what a memory card is. I want one that will hold long videos so I can get stuff uploaded to YouTube and other video-sharing websites.

John

Old May 8, 2007, 3:35 PM   #5

Reading from your post, you're looking into a digicam that records videos in mpeg4 format (more video time/memory). Trylooking upSanyo Xacti CG6. You can find it at Walmart for $299. Just get extra battery and at least 2GB SD card good approx 1 hr, 15 minutes in. It may be over your budget though it offers a lot for the money (take pictures and video, easy handling with pistol grip design, small and compact).Ihave a Canon digicam thatrecords video clips but wanted something that can record longer.I gotthe CG6last month for my daughters birthday. Iwas able totake pictures andvideosthen make DVD's aftewards.

Also,try looking intoCasio Exilim series. I personally don't own onebutheard some of them record videos in mpeg4.
rrbarcarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 3:53 PM   #6

rrbarcarse wrote:
Quote:
Reading from your post, you're looking into a digicam that records videos in mpeg4 format (more video time/memory). Trylooking upSanyo Xacti CG6. You can find it at Walmart for $299. Just get extra battery and at least 2GB SD card good approx 1 hr, 15 minutes in. It may be over your budget though it offers a lot for the money (take pictures and video, easy handling with pistol grip design, small and compact).Ihave a Canon digicam thatrecords video clips but wanted something that can record longer.I gotthe CG6last month for my daughters birthday. Iwas able totake pictures andvideosthen make DVD's aftewards.

Also,try looking intoCasio Exilim series. I personally don't own onebutheard some of them record videos in mpeg4.
This is great info to have and all; but I need an actual digital camera, not a camcorder.

Edit: Oh, I see: it really does take pictures. But what if you want to set it down and record yourself? Does it fall over easily?

Old May 8, 2007, 4:09 PM   #7

The Sanyo may be a good choice since it may be moreoptimized tovideo than others choices but there are less expensive choices such as the Kodak C743 and Z612. Both will shoot video in mpeg4 format continuously up to the capacity of the memory card. A 2GB card will record ~1 hour at 640x460/30 fps w/audio or ~2 hrs. at 320x240/30 fps w/audio. The Z612 adds stereo audio. The C743 is about $160 at Wal Mart and the Z612 is $250. The cameras are available for less thu reputable internet sources and today for considerably less on Kodak's refurb web page. If the Z612 interests you on the refurb site act quickly because they don't last long there - something to do with terrific performance for $180.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 2:55 PM   #8

I think this is going to be the one for me. thanks for the recommendation.
Old May 10, 2007, 1:29 AM   #9

lenfini wrote:
Quote:
This is great info to have and all; but I need an actual digital camera, not a camcorder.

Edit: Oh, I see: it really does take pictures. But what if you want to set it down and record yourself? Does it fall over easily?

You might want to take a look at the Kodak Z612. There is one drawback with the video mode of the Z612 - if you zoom in/out, the audio mutes and the picture blurs during the zooming. But it does catch up very fast after you stop zooming.

The video quality, though, is quite good and digital still photos, specially outdoors, are exceptional.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 10:51 AM   #10

bayani wrote:
Quote:
lenfini wrote:
Quote:

You might want to take a look at the Kodak Z612. There is one drawback with the video mode of the Z612 - if you zoom in/out, the audio mutes and the picture blurs during the zooming. But it does catch up very fast after you stop zooming.

The video quality, though, is quite good and digital still photos, specially outdoors, are exceptional.

Yes, this is the one I want. It's already gone fromKodak's refurb page though. Ideally, I would like to get it locally--you know, to support the local economy and all. However, I simply cannot afford the$250 price at Circut City.