Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2007, 8:43 AM   #1

I've been researching ultra zooms for friends who have very little experience with digital cameras.

I was leaning towards the S3 when I read a review that says the noise is greater than previous/other Canon models and that the image quality of the H5 is slightly better. (The H5 is out of their price range and I'm not sure if the H2 is still available.)

Performance in low light will not be an issue. They are looking for good image quality, ease of use, fast recycle time, good flash exposure indoors. They will mostly be shooting scenery and grandkids!

If anyone can give any feedback on their experience with the S3 I'd greatly appreciate it. Is noise an issue? Does the S3 really tend to blow out highlights? (I read that in one review.)

Thanks very much,

MaryRose

MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2007, 12:44 PM   #2

Have you read the reviews here and looked at/download the sample images?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/h2.html

You should be able to make your own judgments.

The cameras are, in my opinion, essentially equal. One may be a little better than the other at a specific task but unlessthe specific task was the most import function for the user in question that doesn't make one better since the rankings flip on specific tasks, none of which either do badly.

I's base the selection on ergonomics and location/logic/usage ease of the control for the specific user.

In spite what some seem to think any camera in hand will take more, better pictures than one still in the store or being talked about as a future release. Photographers make photographs, not cameras.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 4:23 PM   #3

MaryRose wrote:
Quote:
Performance in low light will not be an issue.
Then noise will not be an issue as well, because noise will show at higher iso settings which will be used in low light.....
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 7:21 AM   #4

Thanks very much, Rudo! I was hoping that would be the case!!

I use a DSLR but also have the SD700 which has wonderful image quality. Iwas hoping for the same image quality in the S3 but was concerned after reading some of thereviews.

MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote