Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2007, 6:49 PM   #1

I am fairly new to photography, I have only played with my fathers old Nikon SLR, but I am looking to buy a new DSLR. I am interested in the D40 or the D40x, or maybe the D80. I am looking for the advise of those who know so any input would be greatly appreciated. I have read that its better to get the D40 over the D40x and spend the extra money on lenses, but I don't really know. I an an engineer and want take achitectural, and landscape photos, but be able to have large prints made (if they look any good that is!!). I have been leaning towards one of the D40's but being a guy I want the biggest and best, but I don't know if at my level I would have any need for the power of the D80. But I would really hate to find in a years time that I now need to go and buy something with more capability. I appreciate any advice.

Jeremy
jerwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2007, 10:11 PM   #2

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3896...ikon-d40x.html

Check out the above link for the latest test of the D40x. It shows the improvements over the D40.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 11:21 PM   #3

D40x over the D40 in a heartbeat. That is like buying a Rebel instead of the XT or XTi.

As far as the D40x versus the 80 or even other brands. A few suggestions beyond ours. Read reviews. Go handle the Cameras. Borrow from a friend. Try it at a store etc.

The X basically is a 80 that can only use Digital reduced crop type lenses (these are great, better then regular usually just they can not be used on a full frame camera). Also the Xhas less controls, etc on the then the 80. ***** It is a really nice Camera. It is really a matter of Price and your goals. X Bodies Starts around $700 and 80's around $900

The Rebel XTi is another fine choice around $700.

If it interests you the Rebel has a bit more features then X but lesser construction then the 80. Image quality among all 3 is very close. Excellent.

Canon has two advantages that are not often considered by all. 1) It Captures full quality Jpeg+ Raw while Nikon to date Only Offers Raw with Medium quality Jpeg or Fully Quality Jpeg. Most non pros just use the Jpegs and then use the Raws when they have an image that needs adjusting. With Nikon your kind of forced to shoot raw and convert or Shoot just Jpegs. I like having my cake and eating it too 2) Canon Also includes Digital Camera Pro for free (for editing of images including raw). Nikon makes you pay $100 for their equivalent.

Lens wise people, would have to know if your wanting to shoot only what you mention. All the Kit Lenses are pretty good and a steal for the money ($80 to $200). For many non pros there all you will ever need or at least a good place to start. Really good lenses Start around $400 and up depending on what you want to photograph.

Because of the Crop factor 1.5 to 1.6, on non full frame Digital SLR like your considering: It make images produced by a lens less wide or more telephoto then on film/full frame digital. So a 17mm/18mm wide side of the lens is really more like 27mm lens. You might need to get a wider lens like 11mm. There are others here that know way more about lenses. You might even need to get a prime a non Zoom.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 12:29 AM   #4

First off let me say that I don't own any digital camera but I'm no stranger to photography and I have been doing a lot of homework lately as I plan to go digital ASAP

Many people here will tell you that the D40x is better simply because it has more megapixels…Phooey…….yes more megepixels means more detail in large prints..as long as your nose is touching the paper. Now stand back and look at it from a normal viewing distance. I'm not saying don't go for the higher numbers I'm just saying weigh it against the cost. The D40x does however offer ISO 100 where as the D40 only 200 and higher.

The D80 has the ability to superimpose a grid pattern on the view screen. That's something to consider if you plan to shoot architectural images. You will then want an ultra wide lens, a tripod and some photoshop skills
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 10:05 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. So its now narrowed down to either the D40x or the D80. I have read that the D80's gridline feature would be a great benefit for shooting buildings. This would make it easier to keep things lined up correctly. The more I read I the more I think I like the D80. But keep the advice coming. I really appreciate all the input. Thanks.

Jeremy
jerwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote