Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2007, 6:41 PM   #1

I'm looking for a new digital camera that will be better for what I want to do. And I've tried several places asking for help and nobody has. So I hope I can find someone here to help.

Okay, the type of photography I'm wanting to get into isa little of everything. Weather, Macro shots of flowers, insects, birds, anything from the big outdoors toindoors. Plus most likely people. lol Yeah, just about everything.

I was looking at the Olympus E-410 with 2 lenseswhen I found the E-500 was only a hundred dollars more for two lenses also. I have no idea which one would be best OR if neither of them are.

If I haven'tgiving enough info, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jami

novice_photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2007, 8:49 PM   #2

If at all possible, be sure to try out the cameras in a real store before buying. The E-410 is the smallest, lightest dSLR made, and some people with large hands find it too small. But a great travel camera, from all accounts. The E-500 will be replaced in June by the E-510, which will have internal image stabilization and a larger sensor (i.e., more megapixels, not physically larger, although the megapixel issue shouldn't be relevant anymore for most people), and better high-ISO performance.

(First version edited)
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 9:07 PM   #3

Norm is right; choose between the new E-510 and the new E-410. The new list price of the 510 is only $100 more than the E-410. The E-500 is being replaced by the 510; you should be seeing big discounts on the E500 as it is being phased out, it should be less than the 410, not more.

Popular Photagraphy magazine has a good comparison summary of both theE410 & the E510:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4116...and-e-410.html

The 510 has more advanced features and image stabilization, but the 410 is smaller and lighter and may be easier for a novice to use. But if are planning to improve your photo skills, the 510 may provide more room to expand your photo knowledge.

Good luck with your choice.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 8:48 AM   #4

Thank you both.

Quote:
If at all possible, be sure to try out the cameras in a real store before buying. The E-410 is the smallest, lightest dSLR made, and some people with large hands find it too small. But a great travel camera, from all accounts. The E-500 will be replaced in June by the E-510, which will have internal image stabilization and a larger sensor (i.e., more megapixels, not physically larger, although the megapixel issue shouldn't be relevant anymore for most people), and better high-ISO performance.
Hmm,I don't think I have astore close by that would have those. I'll have to check.The size doesn't matter. I havea 35mmCanon EOS 3000 and it's kinda big for my small hands.

Quote:
The 510 has more advanced features and image stabilization, but the 410 is smaller and lighter and may be easier for a novice to use. But if are planning to improve your photo skills, the 510 may provide more room to expand your photo knowledge.
Okay so i'm thinking the 510. The 410 would bealright if Ididn't want to advance. Kinda the reason I want a new digital camera as my current one is a Medion 4.1MP 3x Zoom that was bought for $100 dollars at a grocery store.(aldi) It doesn't really do a whole lot. The other day I took a close up picture of a rose and in the LCD it looked perfect, but on the computer screen I saw the stupid camera focused on the background and not the rose.

Again, thank you both!

Jami
novice_photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 1:09 PM   #5

The only advantage of the E-410 are if you really like the gripless design and slightly smaller size, or you can't wait another 6 weeks for the E-510 to start showing up.

The E-510, for only $100 more, has the more conventional left hand grip, has in body IS, and has better controls (dedicated buttons for ISO, WB, and AF and metering modes).

The older E-500 isn't bad for the price, but isn't good at higher ISO. The new models appear to be better there, and also apparently have improved a bit in autofocus speed. I think you're better off going for the E-510 for these reasons as well as live view and IS.

The "live view" on the new models I thihnk is being mismarketed a bit as appealing to those moving up from point and shoot. Response is too slow in live view mode for it to really be good for this for general shooting--for that you'll normally want to use the viewfinder. It is however a very useful feature for certain types of shots, especially for tripod use. It will be very useful for getting precise focus on your macro shots (off a tripod). Also good for getting compositions you sometimes can't get throught he viewfinder, like shooting over crowds for example.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote