Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2007, 2:18 PM   #11

Yes, I am sorry for bothering you so much. I really have a hard time making choices. And I really don't want to spend a lot of money on something, only to turn around later and not know what to do with it and be disappointed in what I chose. Thanks for your help though. I really do appreciate it. I am kind of leaning towards the canon, because everyone talks so much about how canon is probably the best cameras. And since I have a Kodak that really does not help with the red eye very much, I am kind of afraid to go with the Kodak.

I also have a hard time, because I am really thinking about trying to maybe get into DSLR because of the faster shutter speed. I am afraid that when he starts to get older thatI will have to upgrade to that anyway because I am afraid that I will have a hard time getting a point and shoot to shoot the picture fast enough. I really do not know enough about cameras to make my own decision. But I am going to maybe look on Ebay at the Canon G7 and maybe the Kodak that uses an external flash and see what I can get the price for on that. It just seems that the Canon G7 from what I have seen on circuit city and stuff, that it is almost as much as the canon rebel XT and it is a DSLR, so that if I wanted to upgrade, I would already have it. I would still have to buy one of the external flashes for the G7 to help with the red eye thing, so I am going to look into the SLRs as well to see.

Thanksso much for the information. I am sorry for asking so manyquestions. Just trying to get a lot of informationbefore I actuallybuy something.

Jessica
jessicawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 4:01 PM   #12

The Kodak P880 and P712 were designedfor roughly the same users as DSLR cameras. The main element of that expectation is that user wants to post-process the image files in a computer before use. By post-processing, if you're not familure with the term means using a photo editing program such a Photo Shop to adjust white-balance, exposure, contrast and sharpness to meet your own standards for each and every photo you want to use. To that end the cameras in that classdo relatively little in-camera processing to give you maximum flexability in the post-processing. If you get either of the P series cameras or a DSLR then plan to invest in an editing program such as Photo Shop and the time to learn the program (and photography in general.)

When I made the camera recommendations in the last post it was because you didn't seem to have theknowedge already and I know it will require a significant investment of your time to become effective with those tools. I also suspect that time may be a pretty precious commodity right now.

If you do chose either of the Kodak P series or a DSLR, budget up front for a hot shoe flash because withoutthat their red-eye performance will be no better than an ordinary P&S. If you don't have the time to invest in acquiring and learnig Photo Shop then get the C875 or the Z612.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 4:17 PM   #13

jessicawc wrote:
Quote:
It just seems that the Canon G7 from what I have seen on circuit city and stuff, that it is almost as much as the canon rebel XT and it is a DSLR, so that if I wanted to upgrade, I would already have it.

Jessica
dSLR brings a huge cost that's not easy to see prior to purchase. I personally couldn't live with a kit lens. Some can. It will be a downgrade from your current camera.

In the long run, dSLR accessories will make the cost of the camera body trivial.
Tom Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 6:21 PM   #14

Thanks, a.c. You are correct in that I do not have the knowledge already of photography in general and no, I really do not have the time to invest in learning all of it, because I work 8 hours a day and then tend to my little boy when I get home. I would love to learn, but I guess I really do not have time. So, what I need to invest in is a C875 or Z712, I guess, since I really do not even have time to invest in learning Photo Shop. If I was to purchase a camera that detects and corrects red eye before the image is even printed out, then I will not have a problem with red eye, right? That is what you said about these 2 cameras, right? Is the Canon SD800 IS along the same lines as these 2? I really think maybe I like a canon better. Is the quaility of pictures still very good? Because I want some good pictures of my baby? So these cameras do not require a lot of knowledge of photography? How about the shutter speed on these cameras?

Thanks for all of your help.

Jess
Old May 11, 2007, 6:50 PM   #15

Maybe you could post a couple of pictures that you have taken with your Z612. I took it that you have one of those. I would love to see some pictures taken with that camera, as I am probably leaning towards it, I guess. What about the upgrade of the Z712?

Thanks
Old May 11, 2007, 9:20 PM   #16

The SD800 is an excellent camera in almost every respect except red-eye reduction. I am quoting Steve's review: "The only issue I had was actually the same thing we found with the SD700. The Red-Eye reduction system doesn't work as well as a true red-eye reduction flash mode."

The C875 uses a combination pre-flash (red-eye reduction flash mode) and digital processing to remove red-eye. The Z612 uses only pre-flash but since the flash is a little farther from the lens axis that's quite effective. The Z712 offers two stop increase in ISO (1600 vs. 400 for the Z612) and promises faster turn on and shutter response due to the new processor. Otherwise they're the same. Unfortunatelythe Z712is too new to have been independently tested.

Most of my pictures that I have prepared for posting at this point are without flash. Maybe I'll get a chance this weekend to make a couple of test shots.
Old May 11, 2007, 9:48 PM   #17

I thinkhave narrowed it down to either the Z612, Z712, or the P712. I really like the idea of the external flash. So I will probably go with one of these models. Does either have clearer pictures than the other, or do you know? I know the Z712 is too new to really know anything about but how about the other 2. You did mention the P712 earlier if I got the P20 external flash to go along with it and I am thinking about it. Just don't know which I want. Which of these 2 cameras is older?

Old May 12, 2007, 11:07 PM   #18

I think the P712 is slightly older than the Z612 but they are the same generation and were released within a couple of months of each other.

Here are some links where I posted photos taken with the Z612:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=87
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=87
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=18

These are not anywhere near the same type of photo your going to be taking but there weren't digital camera when I was in that mode. Below is a specific thread dealing with P712 flash although I don't think he was using the P20. Pay particular attention to my comments, especially the suggestion to use the P mode and set to high sharpness.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=18

The P712 is more versatile than the Z612 (external flash, RAW mode, panoramas) but within the range they both can do the Z612 may be a little sharper.None the less both cameras made Steve's Best Camera list:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html
Old May 12, 2007, 11:15 PM   #19

I tried to intentionally take some photos with my Z612 and intentionally induce red-eye. I really couldn't get very much red-eye but the attached photo has a little. The attached and the one following are 100% crops of my eyes. The next has the red-eye reduction flash turned on and that eliminates what little red-eye there was.
Attached Images

Old May 12, 2007, 11:24 PM   #20

This is with red-eye reduction flash turned on.
Attached Images