Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 15, 2007, 9:58 PM   #11

I have a friend who has IS built into the camera body and the IS system failed out of warranty. His camera is nowan expensive paperweight. The problem with IS in the body is that the sensorgoes through a "boot up" process. If the IS mechanism develops a defect, it fails the boot process and the camera won't take pictures. The worst part is that the way it's designed, turning off the IS doesn't by-pass the boot process thereby rendering your camera absolutey useless. If you buy a system with IS, makesure you get an extended warranty for several years.
Ophelia Rass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 4:14 PM   #12

Take the advice of the guy that said to buy a good lens

I have a Nikon system with a D50 with 18-55mm and 55-20mm kit lens.

I also have a D80 with the 18-135 Kit lens and I also have a 18-200mm VR lens

The VR lens stays on my D80 all the time, the 18-135 is on my D50 and it stays there..

I have taken over 13,000 pics with the D50 and over 4,000 with the D80 and all have preformed perfectly.

You can go out and buy a XTI or a Sony and even Pentax but when you get them and you want to start looking for good lens to expand your system. Will you be able to find what you want to find?

Well I have a brother in Memphis Tenn that was dead set on the canon XTi and I could not pursuade him to go with the Nikon. He wen tout and bought the Canon XTI with the 18-55 kit lens, then when he wanted more lens He went and got a 70-300 canon lens and was totally disapppointed in it

The lens was very blurry and it would not focus at anything above 200mm. He took the lens back and got a Quantary 18-200 and found it was the same @ 200mm and would not focus. Then he took that lens back and got a canon 70-200 and it would nto focus at 200mm. The guy in the shop told him that the camera was not seeing enought light at the higher mm setting with thier 4-6.3F stop range to focus and the nikons or no other camera would either. Ok but most of the Nikon lens are not that crappy where they extend into 6.3. My 55-200 is 4-.5.6 and so is my 18-200 VR.

I have had no isssues of any kind with my system and they all take awesome pics.

I found the pics that the XTI that my brother had was very dull and blurry especially if u zoom in on them.. He finaly took the whole thing back and now has a Nikon D80 with the 18-135 Kit lens and is very happy with it. It takes awesome pics.

DO your homework before you toss out your money on a system that you are going to not be happy with. You may say now tha tyou may not need to get anymore lens and you will be happy with the kit lens. Yes you may be happy with it for a while, but then what?

WHat kind of lens does canon and sony and pentax have?

I have no idea but I know what Nikon has and every lens I have is very good quality and take awesoem pics, and I know that I can expand my system and get better and more expensive glass as time goes by.

I love my nikons and I just dont think that Canon or anyone else can match thier quality for the same money.

You are th eone that has to live with your decision, not me and not anyone else fromt his forum, so choose wisely and go out and shoot some awesome pics.

TexasHillbilly
TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 11:35 PM   #13

TexasHillbilly wrote:
Quote:
Take the advice of the guy that said to buy a good lens

I have a Nikon system with a D50 with 18-55mm and 55-20mm kit lens.

I also have a D80 with the 18-135 Kit lens and I also have a 18-200mm VR lens

The VR lens stays on my D80 all the time, the 18-135 is on my D50 and it stays there..

I have taken over 13,000 pics with the D50 and over 4,000 with the D80 and all have preformed perfectly.

You can go out and buy a XTI or a Sony and even Pentax but when you get them and you want to start looking for good lens to expand your system. Will you be able to find what you want to find?

Well I have a brother in Memphis Tenn that was dead set on the canon XTi and I could not pursuade him to go with the Nikon. He wen tout and bought the Canon XTI with the 18-55 kit lens, then when he wanted more lens He went and got a 70-300 canon lens and was totally disapppointed in it

The lens was very blurry and it would not focus at anything above 200mm. He took the lens back and got a Quantary 18-200 and found it was the same @ 200mm and would not focus. Then he took that lens back and got a canon 70-200 and it would nto focus at 200mm. The guy in the shop told him that the camera was not seeing enought light at the higher mm setting with thier 4-6.3F stop range to focus and the nikons or no other camera would either. Ok but most of the Nikon lens are not that crappy where they extend into 6.3. My 55-200 is 4-.5.6 and so is my 18-200 VR.

I have had no isssues of any kind with my system and they all take awesome pics.

I found the pics that the XTI that my brother had was very dull and blurry especially if u zoom in on them.. He finaly took the whole thing back and now has a Nikon D80 with the 18-135 Kit lens and is very happy with it. It takes awesome pics.

DO your homework before you toss out your money on a system that you are going to not be happy with. You may say now tha tyou may not need to get anymore lens and you will be happy with the kit lens. Yes you may be happy with it for a while, but then what?

WHat kind of lens does canon and sony and pentax have?

I have no idea but I know what Nikon has and every lens I have is very good quality and take awesoem pics, and I know that I can expand my system and get better and more expensive glass as time goes by.

I love my nikons and I just dont think that Canon or anyone else can match thier quality for the same money.

You are th eone that has to live with your decision, not me and not anyone else fromt his forum, so choose wisely and go out and shoot some awesome pics.

TexasHillbilly
Sorry to burst your bubble but Nikon is not the only system out there with quality lenses an not every lens that Nikon has is great. If that were true, than everyone would buy a Nikon.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 11:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble but Nikon is not the only system out there with quality lenses an not every lens that Nikon has is great. If that were true, than everyone would buy a Nikon.

I don't think that you will see that i said it was the only system with quality lens.

I just read it again and I did not say that, I said I dont know what kind of lens the others have and I said for him to go out and buy what he wants, but be happy with his decision.

Old May 20, 2007, 11:47 PM   #15

Quote:

I don't think that you will see that i said it was the only system with quality lens.

I just read it again and I did not say that, I said I dont know what kind of lens the others have and I said for him to go out and buy what he wants, but be happy with his decision.

Old May 21, 2007, 11:45 PM   #16

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
Have you seen the XTI with the BG-3? It feels comfortable, I can shoot with the XTI upside down, you have no idea where the flash came from.
Quote:
Gee... I can turn any camera upside and still take pictures down but I'm not sure I want to. What's the point??? Just so the flash comes from down below???
Quote:
Can the K10D use AAs? No. Have you seen the lens mount of the K10D compare to the XTI mount?
Quote:
I still can't figure why people make such a big fuss about AA capability. Maybe if you are vacationing in a third world country or hiking for weeks withoutelectricity it's a plus. Myself,I have about 8 spare batteries for my camera. I can shoot over a thousand pictures a day for over a week before I run out. I just wish my flash didn'tuse AAs.
Quote:
Do you know the Picture Style of the XTI can set four different kind of b&w or four portraits or four different styles of landscape?
Quote:
Wow.. so many presets to choose from. Talk about confusing someone just starting out with a firstDSLR purchase. Most photographers don't care about the quantity of presets you mention above or any of those types of bells and whistles. 4 types of B&W??? As far as I know there it's either B&W or it's not.The only time I need or welcome four of a kind of anything is playing poker. Most of us shoot raw and process our own. If you use one of those presets and it comes out wrong you are sometimes left with something that has been over processed. If you shoot in both raw and JPG, you always have an out.I adjust my camera for the way I want, when I want. I've got camera bodies with presets and bodies without. I rarely usepresets except when I hand the camera over to mywife, who has no interest in camera settings except what button does she push or whenmy8 year old wants to take a picture. My KM 7D has three user customizable settings thatcan be programed with any variation of all the cameras possible settings. Nice feature, but if you want the truth, I rarely use it. The only bells and whistles I enjoy on thatcamera are all the buttons that it has so I rarely have to go into to the menu to make changes on the fly.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 2:40 AM   #17

gubakl wrote:
Quote:
I just want to say that 400D is a very good model. I think it would be a good choice as your firs DSLR. My first DSLR was 300D. I've learned everything about photography with that model. 400D is a little bit similar, so I think it worth trying it!
Maybe if that your ONLY experience.... but having come from the fil SLR world.... the 300D was at best a half decent compromise.

They have only gotten smaller and worse handling since.....

And with no sight of a C40D (even still) or even improved now quite aging 30D.... I didtched canon for the Pentax K10D..... no regrets... not a lot of Canon glass easily sold.....

IMHO K10Dfar better than C30D, and a vast past inventory of used (some better than most current) Pentax glas ANY of which the current Pentax K models can use (even many of the older ^isT's

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 4:05 AM   #18

I get the feeling that YHayward works for Pentax
PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 6:47 AM   #19

PhotoFusion2 wrote:
Quote:
I get the feeling that YHayward works for Pentax
Naw........ It's not as if he walks around wearing aPentax Avatar. :|
Bennigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:03 AM   #20

Maybe Hayward does work for Pentax, but he obviously likes his Pentax cameras. Funny how we all like the cameras we chose? At least the OPs don't get too many people saying that a particular DSLR is rubbish.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote