Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2007, 2:33 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Gosh Ben you do have a lot of aliases.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 3:54 PM   #12

can u tell me which lenses im looking for?
Arfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 5:04 PM   #13

I think the Canon EF 100-300mm f/5.6, the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM, the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO, and the Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2are good choices for the XT to cover that range on the budget, but check the Canon Lenses forum. The 100-300 is $270, and the rest are about $200.

Picking lenses for the D40 is tricky, because the camera doesn't have it's own AF Motor. I'm not going to try to make sense out of it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 5:08 PM   #14

when u say "to cover that range" u mean the range of my "podium speaker" target & landscapes, and normal use, or just 1 of these
Old May 11, 2007, 5:09 PM   #15

cus i was just looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-REBEL-XT-E...QQcmdZViewItem

a refurbished rebel xt kit w/ an 18-55 mm. So if i buy that, i have 250-300 for another lens. Would i be able to get a lens that would cover normal hobby use & my podium speaker?
Old May 11, 2007, 7:35 PM   #16

Arfi wrote:
Quote:
when u say "to cover that range" u mean the range of my "podium speaker" target & landscapes, and normal use, or just 1 of these
The range I was referring to was the 100-300mm focal length required for your "podium speaker" shots. This lens would not be a general purpose lens, so it would not be appropriate for landscapes and normal use.
Old May 12, 2007, 7:19 AM   #17

Being a Nikon bigot I would recommend a Nikon D40 DSLR BODY with the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G ED II and NikonAF-S NIK DX 55-200MM F4-5.6 G ED or NikonAF-S ZM NIK DX VR 55-200MM F4.5-5.6 for starters.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 7:29 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
I take pictures of famous speakers on a podium, using 8X magnification on my point and shoot camera.
I've noticed you've started multiple threads about your search. You may want to consider holding off on that (keep all of the responses in the same thread). ;-)

I have not noticed anyone questioning the conditions (but, I didn't read all of the posts).

What kind of lighting do you have? Are these speakers inside?

You seem to be concentrating on the right focal length and ignoring any other considerations.

Most cheaper zooms are not suitable for indoor use without a flash. That's because they're just not bright enough for shutter speeds to be fast enough to eliminate blur at most ISO speeds (and the higher the ISO speed, the lower the image quality).

Have you got any sample images taken with a non-DSLR model that we could look at the camera settings from? This information is in an image's header (so, it's viewable by forum members).

What limitations are you seeing with your current camera?

If these are inside speakers, my guess is that you're going to want something like a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom to keep your shutter speeds fast enough to get many keepers, unless you can use a powerful external flash and stay within the rated flash range.

Note that f/2.8 is 4 times as bright as a typical consumer grade zoom that only has f/5.6 available on the long end (f/2.8 is 4 times as bright as f/5.6, allowing shutter speeds 4 times as fast for the same lighting and ISO speed). This type of lens is larger, heavier and more expensive (they have to be larger in order to let in more light).

I'd give more information on the conditions you plan on shooting in so that you can get more informed responses. Otherwise, you may end up spending a lot of money for equipment that's going to result in blurry photos. Samples taken in the same conditions would be helpful.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 1:10 PM   #19

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
Being a Nikon bigot I would recommend a Nikon D40 DSLR BODY with the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G ED II and Nikon AF-S NIK DX 55-200MM F4-5.6 G ED or Nikon AF-S ZM NIK DX VR 55-200MM F4.5-5.6 for starters.
I think he needs something that will go out to at least 300mm, and I couldn't find anything that could do that, autofocus on a D40, and not bust his budget. Did I miss something?
Old May 12, 2007, 8:44 PM   #20

I use a kodak dx6490

I posted a picture for you on flickr. I was asked in this situation to take a picture of an orthodox rabbi at a pearstone center. The conditions were basically the same as where i take pictures mroe often (low light 8X zoom). I would post one of those, but i cant find them on my HD. You can also look at come of the other pictures i took w/ my current camera. PLEASE NOTE, i am now able to spend a MAX of 1200 (its not going to change nemore) For the camera lenses tripod card and FLASH.

Im leaning toward gettin the rebel XT (maybe an xti w/ my budget raise, i dont know if thats possible). I dont know why, but it's my gut feeling.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/495531007/

Since i was sitting down for this, i placed my camera on the table, and set the auto-timer to go off. After it took the picture i set it again etc.. i got 1 good photo from over 150 blurry ones.
(the person that hired me was happy w/ my one good one

I have to order the camera soon, so if some1 could possibly tell me what i should buy (names of lenses etc. telling me what type of lens doesnt help me, im a total noob to dslrs) i would appreciate it. I'm sure i will learn alot more after i order my camera. I am also seriousy looking at going into small scale wedding photography.

The limitations i am seeing w/ my current camera is the lack of ability to print 20X30's after slight crop, and lower quality with regard to detail as i am starting to want, and the blurry photos in low light condition (which im not sure i can fix). I also would l=just like to upgrade to dlr's to enter the slr world, im bored of point and shoots