Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2007, 1:31 PM   #41

The 200mm lens w/ cropping sounds like a good idea. But the 200mm lens is also too much money. I've been looking into dslr's for over 4 months, and have learned alot already. I doubt ill undertstand the angle, exposure calculator (posted previously) nor how much f stop i need for my situation until i put money up front and try it. Its like trying to teach sum1 who never saw a camera what ISO, and WB is. Like i learned, i bought a point and shoot, and figured it out. I pretty much decided i want the Xt, so for now on ill post in the canon lens forum

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=65

Please respond to this post there.

PS. The amazon package was just a package i made out of their products, the details are on the other forum.
Arfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 1:43 PM   #42

Old May 13, 2007, 1:44 PM   #43

Quote:
I was wondering if i would jsut use a 200mm lens, would i be able to crop it and get the detail and quality of an average 5MP picture (8X10)? (from a 8MP cannon rebel xt?)
Yes. But you would begin to see the difference on those larger prints you talked earlier about.

But, compared to your point and shoot, you could even use a 150mm lens, and still get a bit better quality after cropping.

The difference between a 300mm lens is 1.5x a 200mm lens in one linear direction. To get the difference in area covered (or MP) you square this. So the area difference would be 2.25x. With a 10 MP camera, you could crop that and have 4.44 MP left. With an 8 MP camera, it would be the equivalent of 3.56 MP left. But, the pixel quality is still higher than your point and shoot--as the sensor area you are using is still quite a bit larger than the small sensor.

So with a 150mm lens on a 1.6 crop factor camera, with an additional 1.5x crop in this way you would have a 360mm equivalent 4.44 MP--pretty close to what you had with you Kodak. You probably wouldn't see too much difference at 8x10 or at full screen on a computer screen.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 1:52 PM   #44

i only print the speaker portraits in 8X10. My hobby pictures i go for 20X30. What lens can i use, even for cropping that costs under 200$? if there are any..PLEASE respond in the other forum( lik posted in my post above
Old May 13, 2007, 2:16 PM   #45
Administrator

IMO, you will not get acceptable results with any lens costing under $200 for your speaker photos indoors.

I would strongly suggest looking at another way to approach so that more of your budget is allocated for a better lens for indoor use if those photos are a high priority to you, going used for the rest if necessary.

That's just one opinion. Take it or leave it. But, there is no way I'd attempt to get photos indoors without a flash using a lens that only has f/5.6 available (which is what you'd get for under $200).

Heck, I was just shooting at a dance recital last weekend and put away my f/2.8 lenses because they were just not bright enough (and they are 4 times as bright as a typical 70-300mm zoom lens with only f/5.6 available that's under $200).

I ended up switching to brighter primes to get more keepers with less motion blur, and that was a relatively well lit stage.

Sure, you're not going to have as much movement with a speaker at a podium. But, the tighter framing you're after will make any blur from movement more obvious and there is no way I'd try to get those types of photos with a consumer grade zoom. I'd want a much higher percentage of keepers if I were planning on using those prints professionally.

I'll contribute my two cents worth to the other thread also.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 2:43 PM   #46