Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2007, 4:38 PM   #1

Hey all,

New here but been lurking on the review section trying to make up my mind which SLR to go for. I've posted this elsewhere as i'm trying to work out if I have a good buy or not.

I have been loaned, with an option to buy the following:

• [/*]EOS 20D with battery grip (2 years old, sensor needs a clean and slight dust in the viewfinder, other than that condition is good - moderate use)
  • Canon EF-S 17-85 IS USM (v.good condition) [/*]
  • Canon EF 75-300 USM III (v.good condition) [/*]
  • Sigma 80-400 EX OS (good condition - matt rubber finish worn of in small areas) [/*]
  • 2 Canon batteries [/*]
  • 1 unknown battery
[/*]
The seller wants 1000 UK Pounds (US$ 1950) for the lot and I have the weekend to play with it.
Firstly, is this too much of a jump for a first-time DSLR user?
Second, is it worth the price?

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Stuart M
StuartMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2007, 6:34 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to the forums and hope you settle in once you have purchased and post more.

The set up is going to give great quality results. The 17-85 is not the best lens but stillacceptableand the 75-300 is almost worthless but as a combo package the 17-85 and 80-400 cover most of what an average photographer will need. Do be careful though as getting in to the dSLR game can get expensive as there is always something else that you want to get your hands on :G

As for the price I'm not sure, have a look on eBay and see what the individual units have been going for and see if the sums add up, but my initial thoughts are not bad value at all.

I have to ask what is the person selling up changing to or are they getting out of photography all together?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 6:49 PM   #3

I work with the guy and have known him for a few years. He has recently purchased an EOS 400D (downgrade surely), but he is a mega-pixel and lens freak. I'm not sure the actual model, but he is buying a £1900 zoom next week and wants to get rid of this older kit.

My final offer to him is £850...so I'll see what he says, but i'm very, very tempted.

The total ofit all on ebay, used, is £1200, so if he accepts my offer....I will probably go for it.....steep learning curve ahead!, but for the image quality, I would propbably find myself wanting this kit in a years time if I went with a budget DSLR package right now.

Thanks for the advice.

Old May 11, 2007, 6:55 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Yep he is going backwards with the 400D, do you know what lens he is looking at getting as he is probably throwing money away (however this is good for you). Just looked at lens prices and the new 80-400 is just over £800 so if you get it for £850 you can't really complain (OK so it is not new but still going to be good).

If you do get it just remember out of the box the results might look a bit soft and not as punchy as a digicam but that is done to allow more control and you to enhance in the needed areas on post production (PP) as much more quality is maintained by doing it on a PC rather than in camera.

Let us know how you get on.
Old May 12, 2007, 7:09 AM   #5

StuartMartin wrote:
Quote:
I work with the guy and have known him for a few years. He has recently purchased an EOS 400D (downgrade surely)
Functionally it surely is.... (Guess he REALLY is hung up on MP's) My option was to dump Canon altogether and go for the Pentax K10D from the original Rebel 300D, rather than wait for the seeming (still) never to come Canon 40D or even updated 30D.... I was DONE with "toy like" Rebels... and the original 300D was the biggest most true SLR like.

But now also ask yourself he COULD still use all those lenses.... just why does he want to dump them.... you have been told one at least was not so great.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 8:25 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
But now also ask yourself he COULD still use all those lenses.... just why does he want to dump them.... you have been told one at least was not so great.
If it is only cosmetic then nothing to worry about, looking at what Stuart said I would read into this that they guy just likes having big numbers and guess for the £1900 he is looking at the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 (although it is not quite that much it is the closest fit I know of).

As for starting out on Pentax gear when someone has been offered a good package of kit seems a little strange to suggest as Stuart is never going to get the same sort of camera/lens/extras package for the price.

Stuart I suggest getting out there with it as much as possible this weekend, shoot lots of things with all lenses (actually don't bother with the 75-300) and different focal lengths, different distances from subjects and at all apertures (use aperture priority and set the f number). When doing the aperture make the aperture as wide (small f number) as possible to ensure the lens is not really soft and try different other settings. If you get good results for all of your tests then it sounds fine. Oh with the camera try different focus points, continuous shot,different focus options (AI Servo, One Shot) just to make sure that is all OK as well. If you are new to dSLRs don't expect them all to be great but just make sure there are not obvious problems.
Old May 12, 2007, 11:11 PM   #7

Yeah actually he could.....

OK I spent $825 on the Pentax K10D body NEW (far superior to the Canon 20D IMHO) And now still 9 lenses later 1 new, 1 refurb, rest used, still haven't spent another $1125.

A few of them quite fine old Pentax "A" prime lenses. (AE but MF) Were AF lack doen't really bother me.... zooms yes AF is a big plus, but not really on primes, and I would never use AF for Macro even if the lens capaple of it, because the DOF is so fine, and likely AF would lock on the wrong point.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 6:50 AM   #8

Buy it it is a very good deal in your price, £850.

kombizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 5:53 PM   #9

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Stuart I suggest getting out there with it as much as possible this weekend, shoot lots of things with all lenses (actually don't bother with the 75-300) and different focal lengths, different distances from subjects and at all apertures (use aperture priority and set the f number). When doing the aperture make the aperture as wide (small f number) as possible to ensure the lens is not really soft and try different other settings. If you get good results for all of your tests then it sounds fine. Oh with the camera try different focus points, continuous shot,different focus options (AI Servo, One Shot) just to make sure that is all OK as well.
Thanks for the advice guys....

Been in the garden all day today and I can honestly say that I am fairly pleased with the results. The camera delivers good, sharp pics. The 17-85 IS Canon lens delivers well. The only thing I am concerned about is the big Sigma 'tank' lens.

I know the AF is slow normally, but i'm worried about the image stabilsation. I don't know what it should be doing, but it stutters and jerks sometimes after I have locked the AF. I know it's not normally a hand-held lens just because of it's weight and size, but with a tripod at it's wider end and straight thru to max zoom, I was getting 70% blurred shots.

The Canon 17-85 IS seemed to 'lock on' to a focus and stick to it...I tested by locking AF and then slowly movingthe camera a bit and there was a definite delay in the lens catching up, but the big Sigma was not as responsive. I could hear the Sigma OS working to keep the image fixed, but it just didn't perform as I would think it should for an£800 lens.

I can buy the kit from the guy without the Sigma 80-400, but I have heard so may good reviews for it. Buying it at £400 without truly knowing what it should be doing is the bit that's messing with my mind....

Thanks again!

Stu
Old May 13, 2007, 6:00 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Not sure where you are based but I would try to get to a local camera shop and check out the performance of a new 80-400 OS to make sure this one is working.

As for getting 70% oof that is not a good sign but I have heard that when using a tripod the OS should be switched off (not sure why as I don't use OS or IS). My only experience of IS in lens was with the Canon 100-400 L and prior to that I was a Konica Minolta 5D user so that worked in a different way. Basically if you put the OS on and look at a subject then half press the shutter you should be able to keep everything pretty still at 400mm.... check out the difference with the OS on and off and you should very clearly see it working.

I'm currently in the "don't jump in until you have checked things out" position on this.