Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2007, 3:59 PM   #1

Hey thanks for the input from the D40 vs D40x question I posed, it helped and now I have another. I went to Future Shop (Canada's version of Best Buy) and was looking at and playing with several cameras they had there. Previously when I went looking I was't impressed by the XTi, I thought it felt cheap, but yesterday comparing it directly to the D40x I found them to both be better then I remebered. So I am once again torn. I do have a concern about the availabilty of lenses for the D40x. As I stated in my previous thread I am new to the DSLR realm, but I enjoy taking architectural and landscape shots. I was hoping for some input comparing the XTi or the D40x (or even the D80?). Budget isn't a huge concern, but I do want to be able to find lenses in the future, and when it comes time to upgrade stay with a system. Thanks for the help.
jerwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2007, 2:04 PM   #2

My wife just stepped up to a DSLR. While trying to decide, we narrowed the choices to:

Nikon D70
Nikon D80
Canon XTi
Canon XT

We did not even consider the Nikon 40 or 40x. We then elliminated the XT and D70. We had a nice lens that would fit the D80, however, my wife kept going back to the Canon XTi.

We ended up ordering the Canon XTi body and the Super Wide Angle EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Autofocus Lens.

My wife is not just happy with the purchase, she is super excited! She can't stop taking pics. Our son just competed in the State Final Four, and this is the first chance she had to take some action shots. The quality of photos, and ease of use, put a big smile on her face. The ergos of the camera plus the setting/menu are to her liking.

She has a couple of CF cards and the next purchase is a lens with more zoom. We couldn't be happier with the XTi. Basically it comes down to the camera that you are most comfortable with.

Good luck with your search.
dmrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 8:26 PM   #3

dmrogers,

Don't tell her the XTI can capture a much more dangerous game ok.
Attached Images

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 8:28 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old May 14, 2007, 8:30 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old May 14, 2007, 8:31 PM   #6

Attached Images

Old May 14, 2007, 8:33 PM   #7

Attached Images

Old May 14, 2007, 8:43 PM   #8

Well as I mentioned in your other thread all the Camers you are considering a great.

The XTi and D80 have more manual controls and lens choices working with both Digitial Only and Full frame lenses. Really unless your going to buy a lot of lenses and very expensive ones your better of with Digital lenses they are generally better in every respect except those looking for heavy built like a tank, etc. But then your talking big big bucks.

As I mentioned in the other thread too Canon has the advantage of offering a good free editior DPP and Lets you capture Highest quality Jpeg + Raw where as Nikon generally has only offered Medium + Raw. Canon Offers Dust removal system too.

The D80 has its advantages too though I am less familar with them.

You are fortunate that you are not on a tight budget. If you were you choice would be simpler xti or 40x. If you are looking at the D80 you should look also at the 30D. There will also probably be a 40D. Of course this takes you into $1100 body verus the $700 and $900 dollar ones you have been considering.

anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote