Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2007, 9:25 PM   #1

im stuck with a problem right now, im looking to buy one of these cameras very soon, within this week. But i have to decide which to get.

D50 vs Canon Rebel XT.

1. If i get the D50, i will get it with the stock 18-5mm stock lens, and probably get the nikon 50mm f1.8

2. If i get the Canon Rebel XT, i will buy only the BODY, since the kit lens is horrible, and i will get the Canon EF 50mm f1.4

Which should i get? And why? Both are reali good, which is why its reali hard for me to decide. So please help me out to solve this complication of mine. Thanks alot.
AlvinLeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2007, 11:25 PM   #2

Just curious if you were buying a car would you limit your choices ONLY to GM and Ford?

Or have you actually looked at the rest of the field?

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 11:24 AM   #3

yea, basically i have eliminated all other cameras, i have looked at the rest of the field

Old May 13, 2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Super Moderator

This question will have been covered many times in the past so have a dig around and see what you find out.

However the most basic thing to look at is the system you are buying into. Which of Nikon or Canon is going to give you what you need in the long run? What sort of shooting is going to be your main focus?

Both are good cameras and both systems have a lot of options so it could come down to you pay your money and take your choice. I would add that the kit lens is not terrible but you have to use it in the areas it is strongest (basically stop the aperture down a bit).

What was it that put you off of the other systems btw?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 1:17 PM   #5

my budget is around $800.

XT with the canon 50mm f1.4 = $800 something
D50 with stock lens & 50mm f1.8 = $700 something

im a amatuer photographer, im not going to do any pro-stuff, just casual shooting, some nice portraits with good depth of field, a little bit of nature. Pretty casual and simple stuff and, will see how it goes from there.

How is the d50 18-55mm stock lens compared to the XT 18-55 stock lens, cuz all i hear about the XT stock lens is that it's garbage. I might not bother with getting the d50 stock lens if its not any good. Let me know thanks
Old May 13, 2007, 1:59 PM   #6

Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX is a nice lens and I'd guess you cold buy one for around $200 used. I believe it came with the D70, is brighter and built better than the 18-55. I'd be tempted to get body only (if its an option) and get one of those.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 4:59 PM   #7
Super Moderator

The canon kit lens is fine for landscape as it is generally stopped down to say f8 where the lens gets very good results however the nikon option is better.

For the sort of shooting you are going to be doing I would say the Nikon package is a better looking option for you as you will get fine results from a 6mp camera (I had work blown to 30"x20" which as long as the original shot is sharp works great).

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 6:13 PM   #8

The XT body is a good one. I'm not a fan of the kit lens for a new DSLR user, and that's the only one who will even consider using one. Mark is right, its ok for landscape because f8 is where it begins to be usable. After f11, diffraction takes its toll.

I was just looking around and a Canon EF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 II is available on ebay and price for this is reasonable.Its an old micromotor lens and isn't as wide, but as far as optics go, its much better. Worth considering?

Canon's kit lens is the worst in the DSLR industry. Certainly not what should be expected for the market leader. They should provide better for their new customers.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 10:07 PM   #9

What happens when you want to shoot more than 50mm. You've just limited youself a lot with a 50mm lens. Even the 18mm - 55mm is a little short. I would try to get at least a lens to 100mm if I got just one lens.

I know the lens might be more or getting a 2 lens kit might be more but a 60mm len cuts off a lot of great photo ops.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 4:51 PM   #10

if i pick up the d50 with the 50mm f1.8, i can get another decent lens.