Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2007, 2:05 PM   #1

I take a lot of low light photos and I need an ultra compact camera for my adventure travel needs. I also shoot a lot of video. any suggestions for my next purchase?

Ive had the super small Casio ex600 for a year now and it doesn't take very good low light photos but the video is good. It also takes forever to take a shot after power on. Ive shot over 10,000 photos with this camera.

I was considering the canon tx1 for the HD video but I read the f stop is too high for my low light needs.

Thanks for any help!!!

Joe
scubajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2007, 6:57 PM   #2

Interesting, my EX-S600 is ready to shoot in under 2 seconds.

I read Fujifilm F30 is pretty good in low light.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 8:32 PM   #3

joe,

There's more to low light photography than F-stops alone. Consider the ISO capability of the camera and how the camera's processor handles noise reduction. Also consider the size of the camera's sensor...the larger the better (as a rule).

Comparing the 3 cameras listed in this thread, the F30 would be your best bet for low light photography. I've only seen one professional review of the TX1, but based on that review, I'd have trouble recommending it for low light use. The EX600 you already know about.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 9:37 PM   #4

It sounds like you need a Fuji F31fd. Myself, I have an old F10 which was original model of this series. If you need a compact P&S with some manual controls, get the F31fd. If you don't care about any manual controls, get the Fuji F20 or F40fd. The F40fd is really an updated F20 with face detection. Since the F20 is discontinued, if you could pick one up for a very low price, get that over the F40fd. They all have good video, but I don't think you could zoom during shooting.
Deadzone1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 5:53 PM   #5

Thank you so much.
honestly i think the ex600 takes crappy pictures in low light and the flash takes too long to charge. I just broke my 4th one this weekend and ready to get something better.
I do use manual controls a lot since i normaly use a SLR camera.
the low light of the F31fd is great but seems a lot larger compared to the pocketable ex600. Im looking into the canon sd750, sd800 or sd1000 but they all seem the same. what is the difference?

scubajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 8:43 PM   #6

Sorry, I thought you were looking for a camera that was good in low light.

Here's a comparison between the SD 800 and the F31.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/page6.asp

The F31 is 0.1" thicker than the SD 800. The SD 750 and SD 1000 are thinner. None of the SD series mentioned herein have aperture or shutter priority settings.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote