Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2007, 7:36 AM   #11

DKCN wrote:
Quote:
I haven't checked the K100 but when i checked out the K10, Pentax suddenly became quite appealing
Pentax is also a fine camera, but it doesn't have the broad selection of lenses that Sony and Canon have. If you can find what you want though, then good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 10:22 AM   #12

I have not had any issues with loose lens mount. The Pentax K10 is an excellent camera. It was on my final list. I chose the Sony based on how it felt in my hand.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 7:27 PM   #13

Dkcn, i haven't had any lens mounting problems either!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 5:21 AM   #14
Super Moderator

The only thing extra to take into consideration is where you photography might take you into the future as you are buying a system rather than just a camera now so ensure that possible needs are covered. Imagine you have £5000/$10000 to spend now and look which kit is going to be best for you.

Outside of that if you are not thinking you want to grow too much then I would go Alphaas IS/AS can be very helpful.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 9:29 AM   #15

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
The only thing extra to take into consideration is where you photography might take you into the future as you are buying a system rather than just a camera now so ensure that possible needs are covered. Imagine you have £5000/$10000 to spend now and look which kit is going to be best for you.

Outside of that if you are not thinking you want to grow too much then I would go Alphaas IS/AS can be very helpful.
Mark,

We've discussed Canon vs. Sony, and I've pointed out that the lenses available for both are some of the best in the world, and that the only significant distinction between the XTi and the a100 is the IS in the lenses vs. AS in the body.

As to the family of Canon products vs. the family of Sony products, Canon certainly has a broader selection of camera bodies.Is that what you are referring to?
Old May 18, 2007, 9:32 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Exactly, it's the reason I moved from KM to Canon last year as for my sports shooting the lenses just weren't there, however this will not be an issue for most..... just wanted to make sure that someone else didn't go through the expense of a change if itwas going to be of importance.
Old May 18, 2007, 10:36 AM   #17

@Mark1616

Appreciate the concern. I guess like what alot are saying, Canon is good for sports? Especially indoor sports, which has something to do with the ISO and stuff. (correct me if i'm wrong)

But for now i won't be worrying about that much as i don't really have any intention of shooting sports. I prefer watching/playing them instead of taking the pictures =P

But thanks

DKCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:26 AM   #18

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Exactly, it's the reason I moved from KM to Canon last year as for my sports shooting the lenses just weren't there, however this will not be an issue for most..... just wanted to make sure that someone else didn't go through the expense of a change if itwas going to be of importance.
I realize that I'm taking this topic off on a tangent, but when you say that you switched from KM to Canon because the KM didn't have the lenses you needed, is that still true?

Elsewhere, you've listed the lenses you carry arround with you, and I know of Sony and Zeiss lenses that I would consider equivalents. Am I mistaken?

And as to the variety of bodies that Canon has that Sony doesn't, it seems that Sony plans to make progress on that front as well. They might not get it right on their first try, but they seem to be headed in the right direction.
Old May 18, 2007, 11:41 AM   #19
Super Moderator

That's cool, just thought it worth mentioning. I mix the two, shooting and playing, I play sports 3 times a week at least and sometimes take the camera along but most sportsI shoot I don't take part in.

A lot of the sports issues were down to the longer lenses, faster continuous shoot, vertical grips and bigger sport geared bodies. You will do fine with the A100 for what you are looking for.
Old May 18, 2007, 5:52 PM   #20

There would be a wider variety of lenses and accesories available for Canon or Nikon. If you choose Sony, be sure to check which lenses you might be interested are available and at what price. It does seem like a number of the better third party lenses are available though in KM/Sony mounts, and I expect Sony intends to make a serious go at the DSLR market, so there should at least be reasonable options there in the long run. I would like to see a full listing of what current lenses are available though.

As for IS, in lens is apparently better than in body, but at a sinificantly higher cost of several hundred additional dollars per lens. And some of the more affordable stabilized lenses often have older versions which aren't really much different in effectiveness from in body systems.

You might also consider the Nikon D40 or D40x; the autofocus isn't compatible with some of the older lenses, so many of the Nikkor primes especially will be manual only. But there are still may be as many good AF options available as there would be for the Sony/KM mount. And Nikon will likely countinue to expand their offereings of AF-S lenses as well. The D40x 2 lens kit, including the new 50-200 VR, is an attractive entry level offering for around $999.

As for XTi vs. Alpha, I'm not convinced the camera itself is any beter. There are a few ways it's better, but as many ways I think the Alpha is better. If there's an advantage to Canon, it's in the system. Is there an equivalent for the better values in Canon lenses, like the 70-200 f4L?

As for 50mm= good for portraits, I should point out that that's on these bodies, which are 1.5 or 1.6 "crop factor" bodies. That is, in 35mm film equivalent, that's the equivalent of a 75mm or 80mm lens. Sometimes a bit longer lengths can also be good though, as long as you have sufficient room to work with them.

As far as zooms vs. primes, the better modern zoom lenses are good enough that there isn't that much need for primes. Where you will want a prime is when you really need a larger aperture, either for low light of for a more narrow depth of field. Prime lenses are popular for portraiture in part for the narrow depth of field which allows a nice background blur.

You might find that one 50mm f1.8 or thereabouts will serve for portaits, some low light situations, and perhaps even some macro. If you want to do macro of small living creatures, like insects or butterflies, you might want something a bit longer so you don't scare them off as easy, like 100mm or 150mm dedicated macro lens.

Some walk around standard zooms also will have some close focus ability. Within their limits, it might be possible to do both landscape and some macro shots with the same lens. The Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4, would be an example, with a 1:2.3 magnification at closest focus.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote