Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2007, 7:47 PM   #21

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
As for XTi vs. Alpha, I'm not convinced the camera itself is any beter. There are a few ways it's better, but as many ways I think the Alpha is better. If there's an advantage to Canon, it's in the system. Is there an equivalent for the better values in Canon lenses, like the 70-200 f4L?

So prove the Apha is better then the XTI.

Here is the real XTI you don't know. The XTI flash sync is 200, what is the Apha flash speed? If Canon CMOS sensor can't deliver good high ISO who can? The XTI grip can use two kind of batteries dedicated and AAs are available anywhere in the world as long as the flash light exist, what kind of battery grip is for the Alpha if there is any. How fast is the Alpha focus system compare to the XTI? Have you seen the XTI focus in low light with any lens? What is the image parameter of the Alpha compare to the XTI, don't bother to find out. Can the Alphaswitch betweenb&w color faster than the XTI if there is any Alpha b&w feature at all. Does the Alpha have similar Picture Styles like the XTI that you can manipulate the pictures in four different portrait styles, or landscape orsetfour different styles to use different filters?

Here is the Alpha supposed to be, poeple need anti-shake they buy Sony Alpha, the in camera meter expects to be good, it came from Minolta flash meter, the strong point of Minolta if Minolta still has infuence in camera design or it lets Sony does it the Sony's way.

And in reality when two photographers, one with the XTI the other one with the Alpha going to the store, the salesman greets the photographer with the XTI because he knows that he has a vast selection of lenses and accessories in stock to sell to the Canon/Nikon cameras, camera stores don't want to tie up their money in something they sell a few stuff a year like theSony Alpha.

The Canon XTI is fast, real fast, faster than you can see, I dont guess how fast, I dont daydream, I don't wish, I don't tell fairy tales...Here is proof.

Attached Images

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 7:49 PM   #22

The blue arrow is on the right side of the frame heading toward the target.
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2007, 9:47 PM   #23

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
The Canon XTI is fast, real fast, faster than you can see, I dont guess how fast, I dont daydream, I don't wish, I don't tell fairy tales...Here is proof.
Its from a camera not being discussed. What's your point?

Modified to see the shot.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 9:54 PM   #24

:-):-):-)

That shot is easy to get, the position of the camera is toward the birth fly, any 10yrs old kid can do it, look at the archer again the position of the camera is 5feet away on the side. Try that.:-):-):-)
Old May 18, 2007, 10:06 PM   #25

:-)
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2007, 10:08 PM   #26

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
Attached Images

Old May 19, 2007, 2:01 AM   #27

@Coldshot

I get that the XTi may be faster, but that speed, umm, i dunno. When i take pictures of landscape, i don't really remember myself needing to have a fast start up time, etc.

I get that the speed helps when you're taking pictures of sports and stuff. But landscape? Maybe i'd need it for macro shots of insects and stuff. But i dunno, never really thought of it as a big deal since i can take quite good pictures with a normal point and shoot.

And i have to agree with TCav, it's sony's first go at dslr, i heard their releasing either a A10 or A1 this year? Maybe i'll wait awhile before i choose again.

If the rebel came out before Alpha, then maybe Canon are making something to combat the Alpha, and again, when that time comes, maybe sony has a better model to combat that again haha. I think i'll wait for the next wave of dslr then. I'm a little confuse at the moment as to what i want hehe.

But i would like to have a feel of the cameras first, and i can only do that 2 weeks from now.

But thanks again for the extra technical infos

@kenbalbari

When you say 1.5x, you mean the Sony right? So that would mean, i can buy a 50mm prime lens and that would be converted to 70-80mm?

So, if let's say i get a Canon Mark II With full frame, i have to get a 70 - 80 mm lens instead of a 50mm? Is that what you meant? Thanks
DKCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 6:09 AM   #28

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
:-):-):-)

That shot is easy to get, the position of the camera is toward the birth fly, any 10yrs old kid can do it, look at the archer again the position of the camera is 5feet away on the side. Try that.:-):-):-)

No, It was blind luck. Just like the arrow pic. The shotgun and milk jug is the easy one because things stay in the air awhile.

By "fast" you were talking about shutter lag. At least that seems to be the case.

The alpha has a shutter lag of 111 ms according to:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA100/AA100A6.HTM

That same source tested the XTi at 105 ms. Faster, but hardly an earth shaking difference.

As a reference, the camera I used to take the shotgun/bird pic has a lag of 83 ms. (oops, acording to the same source its 95 ms)

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 6:34 AM   #29

Those shots don't show "fast"; they show "quick".

Show me two consecutive shots with the arrow flying. Show me two consecutive shots with the shotgun pellets and wad. Show me two consecutive shots with pieces of the milk carton and milk.

That would be fast.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 6:47 AM   #30

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
No, It was blind luck. Just like the arrow pic. The shotgun and milk jug is the easy one because things stay in the air awhile.

By "fast" you were talking about shutter lag. At least that seems to be the case.

The alpha has a shutter lag of 111 ms according to:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA100/AA100A6.HTM

That same source tested the XTi at 105 ms. Faster, but hardly an earth shaking difference.

As a reference, the camera I used to take the shotgun/bird pic has a lag of 83 ms. (oops, acording to the same source its 95 ms)
Sure it's luck, try that in close distance of a few feet away, how canthat Alphabeats the Canon EOS system with fast focus fast microchip processing, prove it in real life, I know the limitation of that turtle Alpha out there on the field. Just read all you can read on the net and be happy with your camera but to claim it's better than the XTI, good luck. Maybe I should buy a few dozen Alpha to shoot fast action bird pics at ten mi away and crop to identify what kind of bird just flew by.:-)

Attached Images