Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 19, 2007, 8:01 AM   #31

Try to find anyAlpha in a fast moving event like this.
Attached Images

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 8:05 AM   #32

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Those shots don't show "fast"; they show "quick".

Show me two consecutive shots with the arrow flying. Show me two consecutive shots with the shotgun pellets and wad. Show me two consecutive shots with pieces of the milk carton and milk.

That would be fast.
No problem, go down to Canon dslr forum look at the XTI in action there and stick your pics to match those of the XTI, good luck.:-):-):-):-):-):-)
Old May 19, 2007, 8:22 AM   #33

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
Try to find anyAlpha in a fast moving event like this.
Could be wrong, but I don't think there are any XTi(s) there either. All big brothers.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 8:49 AM   #34

That's the sad truth, you want to find the XTI out there, I let you go out to any outdoor event to the zoo, botanical garden, a fair...see for yourself, there are more XTI than you can imagine here than posting the Alpha is a hot selling camera over the XTI. Btw, I shall make you feel better with what camera you bought, those shots I posted, the arrow, the milk container, the gun blast, I counted 1,2,3 they shot.:-)
Old May 19, 2007, 9:43 AM   #35

1) This post was made so someone can help me decide, not argue how xti is the no. one model because it is seen everywhere. I think it's a factor, but it doesn't tell the whole story. And "going with the flow" doesn't mean it's the best.

2) Most likely Canon has a lead in selling cameras, but, come on, it doesn't mean sony is inferior. In one of the pictures, there are a lot of cameras, no sony, but they all probably got it before alpha came out. So i don't really think you can say Alpha sucks.

3) I like to hear each and everyone's thoughts on a camera, but to hear someone talk in a very bias way doesn't really make it feel at all truthful.

4) I'm not saying all this just because i prefer Sony, but because i made this thread to find out what camera can suite me, not you. I think i pointed clearly on my first post what i'd be using it for. And i don't really care about how 1/1000(exagerated figure duh) faster the canon is to the Sony. I can't imagine a mountain changing position in 1/100 of a second.

5) I really don't see any reason to critic either photos, it all looks the same to my amateur eye. Which means, they're both ok for me.

6) I already saw a thread with tons of photos only. I know i have no control over this but, i'd prefer a link as to a whole photo being pasted as my laptop screen is only 12" so i have to scroll to the sides to read the entire post and i don't have a mouse. I'm lazy, so sue me.

7) lastly, i really don't see the need to make fun of another manufacturer's camera, or for that matter, the person who owns another brand. There are tons of other threads that that can be posted on =) If you're happy with you're camera, then great, i'm happy that you're happy. I'd just like to know what everyone likes about their camera, not critic. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, i don't think you can judge a camera better just because it is faster.

@coldshot

maybe there is something you don't like about you're camera? I kinda don't believe it's so perfect that you can find nothing wrong with it =P

DKCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 10:14 AM   #36

Sorry for the hi-jack.

There really aren't any horrible DSLRs on the market and you would do well with either the Sony of the XTi. There are features that one may have that will make it a better choice for you.

Canon will do better at higher ISO than the Alpha.

Canon will have more lens choices (both new/used and OEM/3rd party)

Canon will have quicker AF speed with USM (ring type) motors

Sony has in camera stabilization (cheaper than lens based)

Sony has a little better kit lens to start with.

The final thing is simply how the camera feels, how it functions, and how much it fits you. This may be the most important.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 10:25 AM   #37

@fldspringer

no problem, the nature of forums =P And thanks for summarizing some things for me =D
DKCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 10:47 AM   #38

The ability to freeze an object in motion is related to shutter speed. Both the XTI and the Alpha have a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 second. Therefore, one cannot be considered faster than the other...they both could have frozen that arrow in flight. As a matter of fact, there are several point & shoot cameras on the market (including a couple of Sony's) that also are capable of 1/4000 second shutter speeds.

The arrow is not traveling that fast to be impressive. A modern compound bow, is capable of projecting an arrow at a speed of around 270 FPS, which equates to about 184 mph. The recurve bow being used by the girl probably could not have exceeded 130 FPS or about 90 mph...about the speed of a thrown baseball or a race car in a turn. Although a nice shot, the fact that one half of a blurry arrow was visible didn't really impress me. I was impressed with the shotgun pellets, though. A 12 ga. shotgun has a muzzle velocity of around 1500 FPS, or about 920 mph - now that's moving, and I don't care what angle it was taken at. Add to that, the unknown factor of when a bird is going to spring up (if at all), which direction the bird is going to fly, and precisely when the hunter is going to pull the trigger, made it all the more impressive.

Having said that, DKCN, buy what you want. For your intended use, I think either camera would be fine. Pick the one that feels right in your hands...pick the one that you can comfortably afford...get it, use it, enjoy it.

Oh yeah, one other thing - coldshot - ever hear of decaf?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 10:59 AM   #39

DKCN wrote:
Quote:
@coldshot

maybe there is something you don't like about you're camera? I kinda don't believe it's so perfect that you can find nothing wrong with it =P

You don't need to tell me any camera is perfect as wellasa $10,000 camera. I jumped in because others claim the Alpha is better than the XTI in what way where they don't even own the camera, I pointed out the differences between the two no more and no less, the spec of both camera is there, the Canon camera design is there nothing is hidden from past history to today, the popularity is there at the store, you want to test any lens you want to buy they have them more than others. I don't tell you which camera to buy, it's your money, not mine.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../eos/index.htm
Old May 19, 2007, 11:53 AM   #40

SONY all the way... I have had both cameras and overll Sony best . Canon broke with in 3 months..
IMHO

See YA
zoomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote